Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Camera - Compatible with iPhone/iPad

• 29-04-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I spotted this camera online www.dropcam.com and it would be really ideal if it was a bit cheaper.

Im wondering has anyone bought a camera that will do these essentials and work well with the Mac/iPad/iPhone without it costing a fortune..

Easy Install
    Wireless connection
    Night mode
    Accessible from outside the home via a secure ip address.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Bump..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've got a foscam - works grand with my iphone and ipad. I see they're now offering one with an ir cut filter too. There's loads of cheaper knock off ones on www.dealextreme.com and ebay. Don't expect hi-def video though! Setup takes a little bit of networking knowledge eg portforwarding, dynamic dns setup - there's lots of help on forums though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I got one on dealextreme but the video quality was not great, I have a dlink camera and it is great, however it does not have night vision.

There's a live demo on the foscam website if you want to check out the quality.

Thanks! I wouldn't have a notion about port forwarding & networking to that level. I had considered the foscam one but the techie install put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Google DLink DCS 930L it will do what you need and is extremely easy to setup. iPhone/iPad app works very well.

Thanks! Does the DLink work in the dark? It's for keeping an eye on a baby at night or during naps in the cot. It'll be used in darkness most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I use and set up these (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/130628155956?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 ) for various uses including cow/calving viewing for farmers in remote locations and baby monitoring. Quality is good for the money. Pan & tilt only, no zoom but zoom not needed in small areas like bedrooms. Also has night vision.

Very easy setup on your home network. A bit more to it if you need to view it over the internet but still very doable for the novice. At home or away they can be viewed/controlled on any devices via web browser. At home you can also use the supplied software to listen & record.

The cam above can be bought separately aswell. There's lots of identical looking ones on Ebay. They're basically all the same cams with different branding and different software onboard.

kaizersoze wrote: »

A bit more to it if you need to view it over the internet but still very doable for the novice.

Got to agree with you there - also much easier if the camera and your router support UPnP as avoids the need for port forwarding. There's lots of help here on boards. Another option would be to get a techie friend to install it for you using something like teamviewer - I've helped lots of people out with it. It's free and secure - a new random password is generated for each session. I see dyndns are charging $20 a year now but not for people (like me!) with old accounts.

Anyway if you're just using it as a baby monitor you won't be needing access over the internet I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

digitaldr wrote: »
    Got to agree with you there - also much easier if the camera and your router support UPnP as avoids the need for port forwarding. There's lots of help here on boards. Another option would be to get a techie friend to install it for you using something like teamviewer - I've helped lots of people out with it. It's free and secure - a new random password is generated for each session. I see dyndns are charging $20 a year now but not for people (like me!) with old accounts.

Anyway if you're just using it as a baby monitor you won't be needing access over the internet I hope!

I see that but for $20 a year it saves alot of messing and removes alot of the complication especially for the novice.
    Btw, the cam I linked to comes with a free inbuilt DDNS service but I never use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

If you want night vision I think the model is the DLink DCS 932L. The reason they are so easy to setup is that when you install ye software you just connect the camera with an Ethernet cable to your router, it does the biz and then when you unplug it it works away wirelessly after that, no need to input any settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Verwalt1

I have hik vision set up on my iPhone but need t get it set up on my tablet?Anyone know how to do this

Advertisement