Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering in DCU or DIT

Options
  • 29-04-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

which one is better?:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

cheaps123 wrote: »
    which one is better?:D
    He says on the DIT forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Did both so I might be in a position to advise? I started with the common degree in DCU leading onto Computer Aided Mechanical & Manufacturing. After 3rd year I dropped out for personal reasons. Took some years out and registered for 3rd year in DIT Bolton St for their Manufacturing & Design Engineering degree.

In my opinion DCU had a great setup there but I had problems with some of their lecturers. There's no doubt they're quite well versed in their fields but I felt that lecturing for them was a side project while they focussed primarily on their own research, etc. Nothing wrong with that but I felt a bit miffed been told that certain lecturers couldn't meet me if I had a problem because they were up to their ears in research. I also felt some just rushed through lectures, minimal class interaction. That's just my opinion now, I'm sure it's not all like that but just how I felt, just a number in the crowd, it may suit some but not me.

I felt DIT was a lot more personal. Kind of like been back in school. Lecturers were there all the time and their door was always open for you. Class interaction was more frequent and they'd all know your name and gave the impression that you came first (I don't work for DIT, honestly :P). I suppose I needed the interaction to get me through. I was a bit of a waster in DCU, I needed some discipline. I know I should be old enough to give it to myself but hey, what can you do?

So in short, my time in DCU wasn't great but maybe that was down to me. I clicked a lot more in DIT but this is just personal opinion based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

DIT run strong Structural, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering degrees. DCU is also an excellent place to study Engineering. Difficult to choose between the two.

Advertisement