Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24mb NGB, really? ; Not!

Options
  • 29-04-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm on 24mb NGB, its 1Pm in sunday, and I'm getting these speeds to dublin?
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1922098098.png
    I'm sorry, thats less than 40km.
    I tried Dundalk, which is even closer, and getting the same.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1922100761.png
    Very dissapointed.
    I just got it on friday, I guess I still have time to cancel my contract.

Edit: Ok, this happen yesterday too, and I did the same thing.. Rebooted my modem.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1922106216.png
    So I have to do this every time my modem is on for a day?
    This needs to be sorted! It is very annoying.

Also, I just checked
    Speed : 14418 kbps / 765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up) : 23.9 dB / 12.1 dB
    DSL Noise Margin : 6.5 dB / 17.9 dB
    I'm sure that with 24dB down Attenuation I shall be synced at atleast 16/17mb
    and shall be getting about 14mb in real time speedtests..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

thret wrote: »
    I'm on 24mb NGB, its 1Pm in sunday, and I'm getting these speeds to dublin?
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1922098098.png
    I'm sorry, thats less than 40km.
    I tried Dundalk, which is even closer, and getting the same.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1922100761.png
    Very dissapointed.
    I just got it on friday, I guess I still have time to cancel my contract.

Connected via wireless or Ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭thret

DarkJager wrote: »
    Connected via wireless or Ethernet?
    Checked on both, getting the exact same speeds on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Checked on both, getting the exact same speeds on average.

Hi thret,

Thanks for your post.

Your broadband is syncing fine and is currently set at 15Mb, on *NGB. Your connection has been solid (Alive) across the eircom authentication servers for the past 18 hours. Your broadband attainable rates are showing above 15Mb, despite being recently tested by engineers as pre-qualifying at a maximum of 15Mb. All this points to your connection appearing fine on the exchange and up to your premises.

Therefore, if possible can you test your connection again on just one computer, and shut down all other computer devices (or games console(s), PS3, etc). Connect this computer by Ethernet cable only and try to connect your modem as setup on this broadband check below -

http://bit.ly/BBcheckList

Remember also to temporarily shut down all applications, while you are testing your broadband connection. This will isolate your connection and help Tech Support rule out these options. Anti-virus, firewall(s), and other applications are sometimes difficult to close down, ever if you temporarily disable them, so try to exit them if possible. Try to avoid using heavy bandwidth programmes like Skype when testing your broadband.

Now test your conection speed. If you're getting around 13Mb p/s or higher then your connection speed is fine. If you're getting lower speeds when testing your connection, as above, then give Technical Support a call, so they can investigate this further -

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

*NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times. NGB is a free upgrade and is set-up as 'up to' *8Mb (or 'up to'*24Mb in cases). eircom Adsl is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.

Hi thret,

Thanks for your post.

Your broadband is syncing fine and is currently set at 15Mb, on *NGB. Your connection has been solid (Alive) across the eircom authentication servers for the past 18 hours. Your broadband attainable rates are showing above 15Mb, despite being recently tested by engineers as pre-qualifying at a maximum of 15Mb. All this points to your connection appearing fine on the exchange and up to your premises.

Therefore, if possible can you test your connection again on just one computer, and shut down all other computer devices (or games console(s), PS3, etc). Connect this computer by Ethernet cable only and try to connect your modem as setup on this broadband check below -

http://bit.ly/BBcheckList

Remember also to temporarily shut down all applications, while you are testing your broadband connection. This will isolate your connection and help Tech Support rule out these options. Anti-virus, firewall(s), and other applications are sometimes difficult to close down, ever if you temporarily disable them, so try to exit them if possible. Try to avoid using heavy bandwidth programmes like Skype when testing your broadband.

Now test your conection speed. If you're getting around 13Mb p/s or higher then your connection speed is fine. If you're getting lower speeds when testing your connection, as above, then give Technical Support a call, so they can investigate this further -

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

*NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times. NGB is a free upgrade and is set-up as 'up to' *8Mb (or 'up to'*24Mb in cases). eircom Adsl is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.

Thaks for the reply Ant!

So I did all the steps listed on the link provided, except rebooting my router.
    Did A speedtest @ speedtest.net to dublin approx 40Km away.
    This is the results I'm getting, and I'm not satisfied.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923764385.png
    I will now restart my modem, and edit this post with another speedtest.
    I'm Sure I shall be getting full speed I'm synced to, because there is nothing to interupt my line (phone and other service) I don't have anything except cable from MASTER socket straight to ADSL router provided by eircom.
    This is already my second router in two weeks, I had trouble with other one giving me access to the internet at all. When I first got the second router, my speed was synced to 15mb, and my connection was stable 13mb. Now it states it is at 14mb, and I'm not entirely sure why this is the case. It was stable, and I did not ask for downgrade. Never disconnected, however it is not stable now.

Edit: Ok! I have rebooted my modem and done a speedtest again to the same server, and this is what I'm getting
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923780382.png
    Still not entirely satisfied, but as you saw above, I have to do this every single time the modem is on for double digit numbers, and It is very annoying.
    I was with digiweb before, and I was synced to 16mb, and got stable 15mb speeds. I have exact same dB down and even by 1 digit lower right now, so I don't see why I am not getting the same or better speed, as this was supposed to be "stable & uncongested service" I can only see lies on this.
    My service hasn't been stable for past few days, and I don't want to go on the phone with support, as all they will do is issue me another router.
    Hope you can help me Ant.
    Cheers,
    Kris.

Edit2: Also, I've checked my line stats on this calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    and it states i shall be getting synced to approximately 18.6mb service, which is nowhere near mine at 14mb, not even getting my full 14 at all.
    I want to get this fixed, as I was promised 16-17mb on the phone.
    Also, I just did speedtest on eircom site, which should give me the best results, and this is what I'm getting;
    Speed results

Test date
    Mon Apr 30 2012 13:44:16 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
    Download Speed
    9.42 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    9423 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.45 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    450 kbps
    Latency
    59 ms

Very, very bad!

ok, so I restarted it again, after it being up for only like 20 minutes, and vuoala. Look where Its gotten me..
    Speed results

Test date
    Mon Apr 30 2012 13:55:34 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
    Download Speed
    12.76 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    12764 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.56 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    558 kbps
    Latency
    57 ms

This is unacceptable.. Connection speed just keeps dropping every minute its on...

Thaks for the reply Ant!

So I did all the steps listed on the link provided, except rebooting my router.
    Did A speedtest @ speedtest.net to dublin approx 40Km away.
    This is the results I'm getting, and I'm not satisfied.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923764385.png
    I will now restart my modem, and edit this post with another speedtest.
    I'm Sure I shall be getting full speed I'm synced to, because there is nothing to interupt my line (phone and other service) I don't have anything except cable from MASTER socket straight to ADSL router provided by eircom.
    This is already my second router in two weeks, I had trouble with other one giving me access to the internet at all. When I first got the second router, my speed was synced to 15mb, and my connection was stable 13mb. Now it states it is at 14mb, and I'm not entirely sure why this is the case. It was stable, and I did not ask for downgrade. Never disconnected, however it is not stable now.

Edit: Ok! I have rebooted my modem and done a speedtest again to the same server, and this is what I'm getting
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923780382.png
    Still not entirely satisfied, but as you saw above, I have to do this every single time the modem is on for double digit numbers, and It is very annoying.
    I was with digiweb before, and I was synced to 16mb, and got stable 15mb speeds. I have exact same dB down and even by 1 digit lower right now, so I don't see why I am not getting the same or better speed, as this was supposed to be "stable & uncongested service" I can only see lies on this.
    My service hasn't been stable for past few days, and I don't want to go on the phone with support, as all they will do is issue me another router.
    Hope you can help me Ant.
    Cheers,
    Kris.

Edit2: Also, I've checked my line stats on this calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    and it states i shall be getting synced to approximately 18.6mb service, which is nowhere near mine at 14mb, not even getting my full 14 at all.
    I want to get this fixed, as I was promised 16-17mb on the phone.
    Also, I just did speedtest on eircom site, which should give me the best results, and this is what I'm getting;
    Speed results

Test date
    Mon Apr 30 2012 13:44:16 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
    Download Speed
    9.42 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    9423 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.45 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    450 kbps
    Latency
    59 ms

Very, very bad!

ok, so I restarted it again, after it being up for only like 20 minutes, and vuoala. Look where Its gotten me..
    Speed results

Test date
    Mon Apr 30 2012 13:55:34 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
    Download Speed
    12.76 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    12764 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.56 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    558 kbps
    Latency
    57 ms

This is unacceptable.. Connection speed just keeps dropping every minute its on...

Hi thret,

Thanks for your reply. As advised I don't see any problem with your connection from here. Both your sync and broadband attinable rates, along with your connection appear fine.

You don't mention if you've tried to connect just one single computer and if you shut down other devices & applications (Games Consoles & programmes, etc.).

Don't worry, there is no need to troubleshoot further if you don't wish to. Broadband Support can arrange a request for an onsite visit from an eircom engineering crew, with out any need to do any troubleshooting.

Obviously it will save time and may avoid additional call out fees.

If you firmly belive that your broadband fault is eircom related, then you have an option to accept call charges. If the fault is found to be related to eircom equipment then no fees are applied. If the fault turns out to be internal or non-eircom related then you may be liable. Technical Support will advise you on this first.

If you accept call out charges, eircom engineers will inspect every aspect of your broadband, including your broadband modem setup.

If you don't want to accept call out charges Technical Support will advise the engineers to check and repair any eircom related faults outside your premises (only). They won't enter your premises.

In order to set this in motion quickly, just call Broadband Support. Request an onsite visit only. Advise them that you don't wish to do further troubleshooting. They will immedialtely escalate your request and an eircom engineering crew will be assigned to investigate your broadband. Technical Support will advise you on the escalation time and process involved.

Have a mobile contact number to hand, so Technical Support can give this to the eircom engineer. They will only call you in case if you accept call out fees, otherwise Technical Support will update you on any fault found.

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support and PM this if you'd like me to follow up once your case is logged.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Was having a similar problem to this,turned out to be a faulty router.So maybe try switching out your router if you have a a spare.

Ok. So I called them, and they have "fixed" it for me.
    Lets see how it goes till 9pm, and I'll edit this then.

It's been sorted.
    Apparently, My software was not updated, and was set to lower my speed as it was running...
    I don't know why do that, lol.
    Thanks anyway for your effort Ant. :)

Ok. So I called them, and they have "fixed" it for me.
    Lets see how it goes till 9pm, and I'll edit this then.

It's been sorted.
    Apparently, My software was not updated, and was set to lower my speed as it was running...
    I don't know why do that, lol.
    Thanks anyway for your effort Ant. :)

thret, Great to hear the source of the issue has been located.

It sounds unusual that your software was set to lower your speed.

Though I've come across it before. Some spyware or malware may be set to activate on a PC at a certain time. This can affect your broadband speed by establishing multiple Internet connections.

I would advise, as Technical Support, that you contine to monitor your broadband. Hopefully, technical support have fully resolved the issue now.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Well its been up for like 20 hours, and I'm getting the same speeds.
    Is 12mb good for 15mb sync?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's ok. ADSL is always going to give you downloads a bit below your sync speed. If you have a solid 12Mbit download speed you'll still have a very good broadband experience. Getting a solid non-dropping connection is more important than raw speed for most users. Especially once you are over 8Mbit or so.

• Advertisement

Well its been up for like 20 hours, and I'm getting the same speeds.
    Is 12mb good for 15mb sync?

Thanks thret,

Broadband speed depends on the way you are testing. Whether you are sharing your bandwidth over more than one computer device. Also the length of cables used in your modem setup. Other issues include whether you're connecting over wireless.

Broadband speed should be tested with just one computer connected to the modem with the Ethernet only. This will rule out any local wireless signal issues. You should also exit all applications running on your computer in order to get an accurate speed reading.

So without knowing your broadband modem setup or what programmes are running on your computer. If you have your anti-virus, firewall(s) and other software completely shut down completly while testing, then 12Mb may be about average on your broadband profile.

Ways to improve your broadband connection

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement