Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q-Con XIX - 22-24 June 2012

Options
  • 29-04-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

nTrEX.png

Q-Con is back!

We’re ready to take Belfast by storm once again with a whole weekend of gaming in all its forms.

Whether you’re into video games, tabletop roleplay, wargames, LARP, anime, TCGs or comics this is going to be the event of the year for you! We’ll have hobby fans from all over the UK and Ireland coming to compete in competitions or just chill out and meet like-minded people.
    Q-Con is now into its nineteenth iteration and we’ve done nothing but grow on our journey, with our event in 2011 having an unbelievable 1700 people in attendance over the course of the weekend. Tickets to Q-Con sell out less as a matter of “if” but “when”, so make sure to pre-order as soon as possible!

Every year, the event is organised and staffed entirely by a group of gaming fans from the Queen’s University gaming society, Dragonslayers. Q-Con is very much for the fans, by the fans and we love the games we run just as much as the attendees love playing them. We have competitions and casuals of all forms of gaming, as well as a range of anime-themed events (the biggest of which being the cosplay masquerade, allowing keen costumers to strut their stuff on stage) and talks from special guests. It’s not all about us, though; we also host fund-raising events for local charities.

We started off as a collection of hobbyists having a few mates around for some gaming and some fun and we’d like to think that, despite playing host to nearly 2000 people – many of which will be new faces – we haven’t lost the atmosphere of a group of like-minded fans spreading the love of geek culture and generally having a bit of a laugh. No matter who you are, whether you’re tall, short, thick, thin, vampire (sparkly or otherwise), werewolf, orc, dragon, zombie, pirate, ninja or just from down the road, you’re invited to come along and enjoy the craic!

Q-Con XIX is blasting into the Queen’s University Belfast Students’ Union from the 22nd to 24th of June, 2012. Pre-registration is available online and by post at a reduced rate of £15 (on the day weekend registration is £20, or £10 for a one-day pass) and we recommend pre-registration to avoid disappointment. We also offer local accommodation at just £19 a night. More information can be found on our website at http://www.q-con.org.uk

Vaughan Yabsley
    online.publicity@q-con.org.uk

Q-Con Committee
    QUB Students' Union, Belfast, 22th-24th June 2012
    www.q-con.org.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

'sup guys, just figured I should probably do an "official" post since I'm doing online PR now!

It goes without saying that I've stacked a lot of fighting games into the schedule this year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://q-con.org.uk/node/28

Skullgirls? Tekken Ball? I think I'm going to like Q-Con this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Pong tournament? Awesome. 100 bucks on the white paddle.

We had one last year where first prize was an iPad.

(Provisional) Console gaming schedule is up.

http://www.q-con.org.uk/node/28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Spread out over the whole weekend :(

I assume the Marvel vs Capcom 3 entry for Saturday should be Ultimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

anyone from dublin going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

ladnopoka wrote: »
    anyone from dublin going?

I'm thinking of heading to this, I missed it last year and heard it was good craic

I reckon a good few of us will be heading up like last year ladno

Spread out over the whole weekend :(

I assume the Marvel vs Capcom 3 entry for Saturday should be Ultimate?
    Yup, my bad - forgot to include the Ultimate in the title! I'll fix that later.

Would've been nice not to have to spread it out over the weekend, but there's simply too many games worth having tournaments for to do that! :(

Just thought y'all would appreciate a quick summary of all the fighting games at this year's Q-Con. We're wanting to be a lot stricter with signup closing times this year, so make sure you arrive on time to register!

Friday Evening (tournament signups close at 6:30pm)
    Tournaments
    Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations
    Soulcalibur V

Freeplay
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Tekken 6
    Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

Saturday Morning (tournament signups close at 10:30am)
    Tournaments
    Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3
    Tekken Ball (shut up, it counts!)

Freeplay
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    King of Fighters XIII
    Street Fighter X Tekken

Saturday Afternoon (tournament signups close at 2:30pm)

Tournaments
    Skullgirls
    Not a fighting game, but seriously enter the Catherine tournament
    Street Fighter X Tekken

Freeplay
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
    BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
    Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Saturday Evening (tournament signups close at 7:30pm)
    Sorry guys, pretty much all 18+ shooters on this slot. Go get some food or just hang out and talk!

Sunday Morning (tournament signups close at 10:30am)

Tournaments
    BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
    Super Smash Bros Melee

Freeplay
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012

Sunday Afternoon (tournament signups close at 2:30pm)
    Tournaments
    Super Smash Bros Melee (continued from earlier)

Freeplay
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (PSN/XBLA release date pending)

---

Also, for anyone who doesn't follow the Q-Con twitter or facebook pages, we're doing a contest where if you use the #qubqcon hashtag when tweeting about the event, you can win free entry for the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Vyze wrote: »
    Tekken Ball (shut up, it counts!)

Def. more legit than some other fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I might be up for Saturday. Tis a long aul trek from Galway.

Skullgirls and Catherine tournaments have me interested anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

You all are not ready for my sick Gon in Tekken Ball

can i get into the AE tournament without registering online for q con? can i just get there and pay there for entrance?

Yup you can register on the day, although I'd recommend pre-registering for Q-Con since we do tend to sell out. :)

Registration for each tournament must be done on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I'm gonna be sorting out accomadation by friday so if anybody from Dublin or anyone I know needs a room to stay PM me and let me know, room for 4 people with 2 slots

If theres anybody from dublin attending other then those i'm aware of let me know, I may be traveling Thursday 21st

We've got so much going on this year, I'm gonna be hella stressed. :(

Nutrient wrote: »
    I'm gonna be sorting out accomadation by friday so if anybody from Dublin or anyone I know needs a room to stay PM me and let me know, room for 4 people with 2 slots

If theres anybody from dublin attending other then those i'm aware of let me know, I may be traveling Thursday 21st

ye nutrient i PMed you. i didnt register yet for the qcon so i will do it now.
    also im wondering if i can stay in the qcon accommodation if im under 18

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Just out of interest what kind of prizes do the winners of the fighting game (AE) tournies get, or is it just for fun?

Entry for tournament video games is £1 and the prizes are a collection of cool stuff from our sponsors. There's usually gift vouchers for local electronics shops too. Other than the Zen Utd prize pack that's being sent to my house first, I don't really get time to sort through the prizes in advance, sadly!

ladnopoka - sadly the official accomodation is 18+, but there's loads of nearby hotels that'll be able to sort you out. Haven't stayed in any of them myself, though, so I couldn't recommend any specific one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Congrats to Xanfel for winning the UMvC3 tourney at Q-con yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Results??

SC5 - SADX
    UMVC3 - Xanfel
    Skullgirls - Yreval
    SFxT - not sure, who cares anyway?
    Blazblue EX - not too sure, but I believe his name was Liam Meehan (is this you, Nutrient?)
    SFIV2012 - Roogle

I'll have more thoughts on Q-Con later, and probably some pics and vids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xanfel

I'm just gonna put it out there

I didn't really deserve to win Marvel. It's just lucky for me that Lythero was cursed by a gypsy woman to never beat me, and that Phoenix Wright is apparently the scourge of all.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

It was either that, or she cursed me to only ever achieve second place at Marvel

All I did was burn one of their caravans. It wasn't THAT big a deal.

Also I have a couple of videos of the UMvC3 and AE finals. I'm making a big collab vid of the convention but after it's up I could just upload the finals on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

how many ppl entered Marvel and AE2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

And how many for Skullgirls? Many decent players?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xanfel

For Marvel, I'm pretty sure there was an even 16 or so. 4 pools blahdeblah.

AE had a slightly larger turnout, i think. Either that or just a larger spectator crowd - I'd guess around the mid 20s?

Skullgirls - I didn't even see it being played. Which is a crying shame, since it's a great game. I think at that point I was trying to get on the Rock Band stage :D

OK, here goes;

- Won the Skullgirls tourney, which I'm happy with, but I'm not so happy with the turnout (5 players) and the skill level (I won 15 consecutive games (I think) to win the tournament, none of which were even close - am I seriously the only remotely competent SG player in NI?)
    - In case you aren't already aware, Garou is hype as hell. Also, you can't not love this music.
    - Console gaming occupied two floors this year, with some of the tabletop games moved to the nearby Elmwood Hall. With attendance reaching 2200 this year (up around 400 from last year) this was a much-needed expansion.
    - This game was on one of the 360s on Saturday evening. Yes, I played it. Yes, it was about as good as you'd expect it to be.
    - Massive thanks to the Q-Con committee for another great weekend of gaming.

On to the pics: (click to embiggen, full set here)

All of the pinball wizardry, with none of the deafness, dumbness or blindness:
    YfDoIl.jpg

The AE2012 tourney:
    4IfMTl.jpg

The full list of tournaments:
    J5Kkbl.jpg

This Guilty Gear fanart won a prize in the art contest:
    juWRel.jpg

To the victor, the spoils (and a misspelled name):
    2Bvr0l.jpg

Outside, after the closing ceremony:
    tSy9rl.jpg

I also recorded some video footage, which should be going up soon. Oh, and for 2gen, there were 21 entries for AE2012.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If I had of known the games were getting treated better I would have come... the "nerfing" is the reason I haven't gone for the last couple years.

Not that that is your fault, Yreval! :)

Advertisement