Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My boss has got it in for me..

Options
  • 29-04-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys just a quick one...
    My new boss of 6 months seems to have it in for me.
    I have a disiplinary meeting next week for a mistake i made whilst repairing a mahine,
    I held my hands up and said yes i made a mistake but im not the only one as many of my collegues make mistakes everyday yet its only me being disiplined..
    I suspect the problem is that i have the largest sallary of us all but some of the other guys are better than me at the job, this is not my fault it comes down to the guy who owns the company and his negotiation skill, he made me an offer and i took it ! he should of put in conditions but he didnt. now the new manager is trying to justify his stupid sallary by getting me out, or so it seems..
    I am by no means the worst offender in the place when it comes to mistakes,like i said ive made two in my time at the company { 12 months } but the other workers are going unpunished...
    I have a meeting with my boss on tuesday...
    I spoke to him him last week and asked him outright , " should i leave ? would it be better for him if i left ? " I told him ive been offered a position elsewhere ,which i have, but i dont want to leave, he said he couldnt comment on that but if he was me he would give it some serious thought...
    Can he fire me ? ive had no warnings verbal or written but could he give me all the relevant warning within a few days and sack me ???
    help !!!.
    Paul.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

He is obviously trying to get rid of you. You need to get someone to accompany you to the meeting. You need to keep meticulous records of what happens and stress that the type of mistake you made is one which can and does happen to anybody and is not a sign of negligence or poor workmanship. When you are eventually fired you will be able to bring a successful complaint to the EAT for unfair dismissal. Another option is to haggle for a severance deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

He is obviously trying to get rid of you. You need to get someone to accompany you to the meeting. You need to keep meticulous records of what happens and stress that the type of mistake you made is one which can and does happen to anybody and is not a sign of negligence or poor workmanship. When you are eventually fired you will be able to bring a successful complaint to the EAT for unfair dismissal. Another option is to haggle for a severance deal.

Definitely - it's all about records. Write out exactly what you've said above (not here, do it for your own records) but with much more detail, including what the mistake was, its time, its impact, what was said afterwards etc. Also document any relevant interactions you've had with your boss (including what you said and his replies). You need to be meticulous and make sure you have dates when events occurred (and where possible, times), including the date that you're recording all this (i.e. today's date).

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Can he fire you, yes. Does he have enough to fire you fairly is the real question. If, as you say you have another job offer, I would say go for it. You might lose the job you have and where will that leave you? plus the stress of the current position. Get out before you are in a worse place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bekum wrote: »
    My new boss of 6 months seems to have it in for me.
    What is the total time that you have been in your job? More than or less than one year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In fairness he may be holding you more accountable for mistakes because you are on a higher salary and maybe a higher grade??

You admit that you are not the best in the place at your job so it may well be that you are being moved on due to the fact that you are the least desirable of the employees... TBH it sounds like a no brainer, if he's being asked to loose an employee you are self electing yourself in your own description, imagine how management feel..

• Advertisement
Advertisement