Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overflow on bath

Options
  • 29-04-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Wondering if anyone can help. I have a steady trickle of water coming from the overflow in my bath?? Anyone know where this is coming from? Could it be something to do with a drain blocked outside? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Does your bath empty as normal ? If it does then that would suggest there is no blockage in that line.
    If it doesn't empty as normal then there maybe a blockage and the trickle you are getting could well be from the sink if the outlets of the sink and bath are interconnected

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Thanks John. It empties but its slow enough. where would the water be coming from if both taps are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Decks79 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help. I have a steady trickle of water coming from the overflow in my bath?? Anyone know where this is coming from? Could it be something to do with a drain blocked outside? Thanks.

I have come across this many times...

On some bathroom installations the overflow pipe from the toilet cistern (and sometimes from the cold water storage tank if its an apartment) is routed through the overflow grill on the bath.
    Check by lifting the lid up on your toilet cistern to see if it is overfilling and allowing water to flow out through the small 3/4" white pipe on the side of the cistern. If it is, adjust the height of the float valve or replace it. Likewise if you are in an apartment check your cold water storage tank in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Thanks K Flyer but i dont think thats the problem. The trickle has turned into flowing water now and the tank in the is continuously making a filling noise. I think one of the red taps has been turned or something. Anyone know which red tap relates to water going into the tank? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Decks79 wrote: »
    Thanks K Flyer but i dont think thats the problem. The trickle has turned into flowing water now and the tank in the is continuously making a filling noise. I think one of the red taps has been turned or something. Anyone know which red tap relates to water going into the tank? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

It sounds to me that the ball cock in the tank has failed and needs replacing. The main stop valve may be under the kitchen sink or in the hot press if you are in an apartment. I doubt the valve on the water supply to the tank is a round red valve, but more than likely a brass T shaped one. To be honest my advise is that if you are not familiar with plumbing installations Call On A Plumber Now to deal with it, because if the valve fails completely you run the risk of flooding your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Charleslando

Had the exact same problem, the ball cock on you tank either needs to be cleaned or replaced, the overflow from the tank goes into the bath.

Advertisement