Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning

Options
  • 29-04-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are planning a side/rear extension to our detached bungalow. Can I build an single story extension up to the boundary wall if it is facing a neighbours window?
    Both properties are detached bungalows and our planned side extension will not have any window facing directly onto our neighbours property, but they have an existing window facing the boundary (approx 10 feet back). Their window faces south onto the (5 foot) boundary wall and they are concerned about losing light due to the increased height of our proposed extension.

What are the planning rules in this situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry OP, the Madden NFL forum isn't for this :D
    But i'll move your post over to the Construction forum, they should be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

marathon12 wrote: »
    We are planning a side/rear extension to our detached bungalow. Can I build an single story extension up to the boundary wall if it is facing a neighbours window?
    If the extension is to the side it will require planning permission. Any extension being constructed to the boundary can not be built over the boundary and that includes any part of the roof overhang.
    marathon12 wrote: »
    Both properties are detached bungalows and our planned side extension will not have any window facing directly onto our neighbours property, but they have an existing window facing the boundary (approx 10 feet back). Their window faces south onto the (5 foot) boundary wall and they are concerned about losing light due to the increased height of our proposed extension.

What are the planning rules in this situation?
    By applying for planning permission any issues with overlooking or light loss should be considered by the planners and your neighbours will have a chance to make observations or appeal any decision they don't agree with to an Bord Pleanala.

In my opinion it would not be fair to have one person having non reciprocal overlooking and not afford the neighbour some consideration. The boundary wall can also be raised to 2m if it is not forward of the front of the house, with consent of both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marathon12

Sorry Helimachopter - new to this!

Thanks Poor uncle tom

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

PLANNING EXEMPTION CRITERIA

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this - however, here goes.

Does anybody know what is the maximum height for the construction of a ground floor extension to the rear of a semi d house and where would this figure be written in official documentation ?
    thanks in advance ?
    Descol

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

descol wrote: »
    PLANNING EXEMPTION CRITERIA

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this - however, here goes.

Does anybody know what is the maximum height for the construction of a ground floor extension to the rear of a semi d house and where would this figure be written in official documentation ?
    thanks in advance ?
    Descol
    here you go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

thanks for that Muffler
    I am aware of the criteria in the notice - but... let's say you have a single storey extension to the rear of two storey semi d - the criteria suggests the height should not be higher than the eaves/parapet - which on a two storey house is approx 5m. - does this mean that if you have a single storey pitched roof extension to the rear that the apex of the ridge can be 5m high ?- I some how thought that I had seen that the max height is such caes was 3m ?- I guess I will need to call the Local Authority for clarification as I cannot understand how a 5m ridge height to the rear of a gound floor extension can be classed as exempt ?
    rgds
    descol

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Them there's the rules :D

5m is permissible as an exempted height of the roof in the situation you described. The 3 m roof height you are thinking of is probably for a detached shed/garage which can have a max height of 4m if tiled or slated but 3 metres for any other type of roof....felt/flat roof for example.

The link I give you is the statute and every planning authority is bound by those rules/exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Talk to the Planning office and ask what would be allowed. They will probably try to work with you to see what they would give permission to.

Most importantly, have the other householder on board. Discuss with them what you want and what you are willing to do to ensure that they not inconvenienced (much).

Advertisement