Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Pubs Pay Level?

• 28-04-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hiya,

First time poster here, saying there is some fantastic stuff on the forum! Thanks all for your contributions.

So, I was wondering... I'm a troubadour/singer/songwriter from Finland, coming to Dublin in a couple of weeks. Was thinking that I'd bring my guitar & try to get some trad./ballad/cover gigs in Dublin pubs.

My question is how much can one expect to get paid for playing in Dublin? I especially want to avoid distorting the market by charging too little.

Cheers,

-Snipes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cooleys reel

Hi there, Best of luck with your venture.
    There is a lot of Trad esp around the Temple bar area. I know alot of lads playing thru agents. A brilliant 3 piece I know playing the Temple bar pub are getting 240 for 3 hours playing. They make a few extra euros thru CD sales. But these guys are exceptional. These guys started 2 years ago and one of them was under 18years of age and I personally think that money for that length of time is exploitation.
    Best of luck again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CaptainSnipes

Thanks for the info.

Exploitation sounds about right, to me. And let me just say "Ha!...Agents!" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

getting 240 for 3 hours playing

exploitation is the word! 3 hours is a long set too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hi there, Best of luck with your venture.
    There is a lot of Trad esp around the Temple bar area. I know alot of lads playing thru agents. A brilliant 3 piece I know playing the Temple bar pub are getting 240 for 3 hours playing. They make a few extra euros thru CD sales. But these guys are exceptional. These guys started 2 years ago and one of them was under 18years of age and I personally think that money for that length of time is exploitation.
    Best of luck again.

240 between three??? For 3 hours?? That's total bullshyt. Especially for a Temple Bar gig.

OP, I do occasional solo acoustic gigs in pubs, and generally I'm looking at around 100euro for 2 hours. I did 2 and a half for 150 recently. I don't take breaks, but some do - it's up to you. You may or may not get a couple of drinks from the bar aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

240 between three??? For 3 hours?? That's total bullshyt. Especially for a Temple Bar gig.

OP, I do occasional solo acoustic gigs in pubs, and generally I'm looking at around 100euro for 2 hours. I did 2 and a half for 150 recently. I don't take breaks, but some do - it's up to you. You may or may not get a couple of drinks from the bar aswell.

Doing covers or originals out of interest?

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »

Covers.
    Most pubs want covers. Especially if there's a tourist footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CaptainSnipes

flyswatter wrote: »

I do trads & ballads with some more contemporary covers & a handful of original pieces thrown in where they fit nicely.

I'll refer to these links to my stuff:

http://www.panacea-music.com/aapo/index.html
    http://www.bandofshysters.com

Well now. Being so dismissive of what I said is Ridiculous coming from someone who is only getting 100eu for 2 hours. If you are only getting 100 eu for a one man act you are also in the Temple bar explotation club.(A normal fee outside of Dublin is 200/2 hrs for a 1 man act if you must know).
    What I am actually doing here is highlighting the the poor pay alot of musicians in Temple bar are getting, particularly thru agencies like 'Lasrac'. 240 was been paid by Lasrac 2 years for 2 hours and I state again today (due to recession so they say) you now have to play for 3 hours for 240. Yet a pub like 'The Temple Bar' is charging 6.50/pint and is packed every night.
    And my advice would be to stay clear of the temple bar. There is another agency (CEB) in there that is paying a little higher for 2 hours.
    Now if you play outside of the city centre particularly in the suburbs or country you can get between 250/400 for a 3 piece for 2 hours depending on the pub.
    So you saying my comment was ridiculous rings hollow when pubs and agencies out there have people like you playing for 100eu/2hrs or a 3 piece for 240/3hrs......its brings the money down for everyone and makes it harder for us all to get paid properly. And there are musicians who have told me that 250/400 is also low.

nb Try this outm and I speak with sarcasm. Be one of the musicians who are spoiling it for everyone else taking gigs for low money. I suggest you ring Lasrac.....you'll have no bother getting a 3 hour gig there for a pityful 100/150eu....if you're good that is.

Well now. Being so dismissive of what I said is Ridiculous coming from someone who is only getting 100eu for 2 hours. If you are only getting 100 eu for a one man act you are also in the Temple bar explotation club.(A normal fee outside of Dublin is 200/2 hrs for a 1 man act if you must know).
    What I am actually doing here is highlighting the the poor pay alot of musicians in Temple bar are getting, particularly thru agencies like 'Lasrac'. 240 was been paid by Lasrac 2 years for 2 hours and I state again today (due to recession so they say) you now have to play for 3 hours for 240. Yet a pub like 'The Temple Bar' is charging 6.50/pint and is packed every night.
    And my advice would be to stay clear of the temple bar. There is another agency (CEB) in there that is paying a little higher for 2 hours.
    Now if you play outside of the city centre particularly in the suburbs or country you can get between 250/400 for a 3 piece for 2 hours depending on the pub.
    So you saying my comment was ridiculous rings hollow when pubs and agencies out there have people like you playing for 100eu/2hrs or a 3 piece for 240/3hrs......its brings the money down for everyone and it harder for us all to get paid properly. And there are musicians who have told me that 250is also low.

nb Try this outm and I speak with sarcasm. Be one of the musicians who are spoiling it for everyone else taking gigs for low money. I suggest you ring Lasrac.....you'll have no bother getting a 3 hour gig there for a pityful 100/150eu....if you're good that is.

Jesus Christ dude i was agreeing with you! My point was that the fee stated was terrible and they should be getting more, especially in temple bar.
    As for your comments, I've never done a three hour gig for one hundred Euro. I'm in total agreement about musicians charging too little for too much.
    Chill. We're all in this together.

Jesus Christ dude i was agreeing with you! My point was that the fee stated was terrible and they should be getting more, especially in temple bar.
    As for your comments, I've never done a three hour gig for one hundred Euro. I'm in total agreement about musicians charging too little for too much.
    Chill. We're all in this together.

Ok man gotcha now, but the wording looked as if you were saying bull***t to my reply. Must be the late nights but this money lark is a sore point with me. And fair play if you are with me as there are some who would disagree.
    Now I still say that 100eu is still too low for a 2 hour gig but I do know what its like in town. There are probably lads doing it for less. What bugs me is the pubs can be packed and you are still expected to play for low money. I can't understand it. It has to be the musicians fault. I know a musicians union was tried before but wouldn't it be great if it was properly set up.
    The country pubs with a minimum crowd can pay 180-220 for a 1 man and probably some are getting more and this is in total contrast to dublin city centre with its large population.
    Again sorry about the confusion and if 100 eu pays the milk and bread so be it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

Was thinking on trying to find some gigs in dublin myself come September,seen as I am planning on going back to college,does anyone know what the best way to get paid gigs is just ask pub to pub? Also do you need your own pa?

micko4 wrote: »
    Was thinking on trying to find some gigs in dublin myself come September,seen as I am planning on going back to college,does anyone know what the best way to get paid gigs is just ask pub to pub? Also do you need your own pa?

Yep.. just plod the streets and ask in each pub. Hard to get in straight off, as most places will have their regular acts. You'll generally need to follow up with a few phone calls, or drop back in to remind them about yourself.

Helps to have your own PA, but a lot of pubs who have regular music have their own house system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

I play occasional paid gigs around Dublin, mainly suburbs north & south side. In my experience the rate paid by the pubs is anywhere from €120 - €180 for a 2 or 2 & 1/2 hour set. I only started the paid gigs in October and didn't really know what to be charging but the pubs I have been playing already have there set fees for one piece acts. There is a chain of pubs Northside who pay €150 to a one piece for a 2 & 1/2 hour set (with breaks), this fee is set in stone! Not the nicest lot to be dealing with though!
    I have heard that country pubs pay more. I'd be interested to know what kind of fees others are getting paid out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bluevoice

To me the pay rate ye are talking about sounds about right. I would love to get gigs in Dublin, but the pay would have to cover travel costs, and it often doesn't. I've been playing pubs on the other side of the country for quite awhile now and I m being totally honest when I say its often a struggle to get 100 for 2 hours of ballads/trad. I know some musicians who will play for a lot less than that, which makes it difficult for me because thats where I draw the line.

Really, when others are playing for free/pints everywhere, what can we do?

bluevoice wrote: »
    Really, when others are playing for free/pints everywhere, what can we do?

Are there people really doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bluevoice

Are there people really doing this?

Yes, there are. Mostly in sessions, at least here in the West, but I personally know a local band (who also play the festival circuit) who quite willingly play a well known local pub for pints.

Here we also have the issue of students who play for pints everywhere and on top of that tourists who come to town specifically to play with no thought of money.

It happens, pubs take note, and gigs and money go down. Not everywhere, and not everyone, but its there.

bluevoice wrote: »
    Yes, there are. Mostly in sessions, at least here in the West, but I personally know a local band (who also play the festival circuit) who quite willingly play a well known local pub for pints.

Here we also have the issue of students who play for pints everywhere and on top of that tourists who come to town specifically to play with no thought of money.

It happens, pubs take note, and gigs and money go down. Not everywhere, and not everyone, but its there.

...that's annoying alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

What are people getting paid in a two piece these days? This thread was started few years ago so..I've been told different things one told me 250 for a two piece and someone else told me between 150 and 180..what are people getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 folkncountryu

Hi we are a duo playing Irish and country we have been gigging in our local in county Kildare for free yes free We would love to get paid for our work now saying that we get great crack out of it but we can not find a paying gig at all and we are willing to travel we have a great sound going before some one comes back with you only get what your worth we play Friday after Friday we have noticed more punters coming in to hear us but not a penny from the owners we live in hope that some other gig might come of it so chin up all cheers from Folk-N-Country

Hi we are a duo playing Irish and country we have been gigging in our local in county Kildare for free yes free We would love to get paid for our work now saying that we get great crack out of it but we can not find a paying gig at all and we are willing to travel we have a great sound going before some one comes back with you only get what your worth we play Friday after Friday we have noticed more punters coming in to hear us but not a penny from the owners we live in hope that some other gig might come of it so chin up all cheers from Folk-N-Country

Playing for free is a mistake. Why would this pub pay you if they know you'll do it for nothing.
    Would you consider telling them you want paying from now on or you'll go elsewhere?

Have you ever recorded any of your gigs either audio or video? If so, get them up on soundcloud/Youtube and/or throw them on to a cd. Then start visiting pubs and ask them about gigs. If necessary you could sign up to a promoter, who'll do the looking for you, and will have pubs/bars on their books.

It's really about getting yourself out there. And be prepared to travel. If you have your own PA etc then that's a help.
    Some pubs will have regular musicians and may not be open to new talent.
    Also, you may be asked to play your first gig free.. that's up to you.. I've only ever done 20mins or so for free before another musician starts, as a trial. Everyone deserves to be paid for their time.

• Advertisement

Playing for free is a mistake. Why would this pub pay you if they know you'll do it for nothing.
    Would you consider telling them you want paying from now on or you'll go elsewhere?

Have you ever recorded any of your gigs either audio or video? If so, get them up on soundcloud/Youtube and/or throw them on to a cd. Then start visiting pubs and ask them about gigs. If necessary you could sign up to a promoter, who'll do the looking for you, and will have pubs/bars on their books.

It's really about getting yourself out there. And be prepared to travel. If you have your own PA etc then that's a help.
    Some pubs will have regular musicians and may not be open to new talent.
    Also, you may be asked to play your first gig free.. that's up to you.. I've only ever done 20mins or so for free before another musician starts, as a trial. Everyone deserves to be paid for their time.
    you are so correct about playing for free that we have our self to blame your reply is taking on board we will start now looking for payed gigs thank you for your advice

I have to say thank you to irlirishkev you are correct we should never play for free as I said in my first post I am part of a duo and we are willing to play for 100 a night we don't think the market is there for charging more we aggressive with you irlirishkev thank you for your advice we maybe new but I am playing for over 30 years I am 54 a little late to start playing out but it is mighty craic so some day folkncountry will get a paid gig when we do I will let the threads know but untill then thank you once again

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

Keep her lit , folkncountry !

Thank you cabbage thing we will sure look we all do to a degree for the craic money is also cool after all my equipment cost a few grand and like I read on some thread g the years of learning it's all got to be worth something , I would not mind but to be fair to my fellow musicians working for free no mater where is bad for my colleagues so it's at an end for me now I will only play for payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭doughef

Can I just weigh in here :D

I was playing for years doing the one man thing and I used to really love it.
    I had loads of crazy times and did a few stints in the canaries etc,
    played all over Ireland and did stints too in Temple Bar. (Hen nights and free drink:cool:

however now I find that I have grown to hate it and treat it as a job. I have totally cut down the number of gigs I do and am just playing ONE gig this Christmas (same gig I do every year for a friends pub).
    Its like I feel out of love with playing and with Music in generel.

but.. I was at a friends wedding a few months ago and I had my guitar and took it out late in the residents bar,.. and I absolutely loved it!! It was like the old days and I'm thinking of getting back out there a bit in the new year!

So, yes, ...absolutely you deserve to get paid for your effort but it seems to me that you and your mate love what you do so try not let that slip..

I hope this makes sence :pac: and best of luck!!

That is a fantastic story I am glad you have got back in touch with it all and you sound like a real pro you are right of course we do love the crack can I just say best of irish to you

doughef wrote: »
    Can I just weigh in here :D

I was playing for years doing the one man thing and I used to really love it.
    I had loads of crazy times and did a few stints in the canaries etc,
    played all over Ireland and did stints too in Temple Bar. (Hen nights and free drink:cool:

however now I find that I have grown to hate it and treat it as a job. I have totally cut down the number of gigs I do and am just playing ONE gig this Christmas (same gig I do every year for a friends pub).
    Its like I feel out of love with playing and with Music in generel.

but.. I was at a friends wedding a few months ago and I had my guitar and took it out late in the residents bar,.. and I absolutely loved it!! It was like the old days and I'm thinking of getting back out there a bit in the new year!

So, yes, ...absolutely you deserve to get paid for your effort but it seems to me that you and your mate love what you do so try not let that slip..

I hope this makes sence :pac: and best of luck!!

Absolutely. When you start doing it for the money alone, then it's something completely different. Obviously it's a living for a lot of folk, so that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cormirl

So you saying my comment was ridiculous rings hollow when pubs and agencies out there have people like you playing for 100eu/2hrs or a 3 piece for 240/3hrs......its brings the money down for everyone and makes it harder for us all to get paid properly. And there are musicians who have told me that 250/400 is also low.

Hi there cooleyreel,
    Do you still do one man shows around Ireland or near Dublin? Have the rates for one-man bands risen at all? I've been playing for 20 years but always afraid to do the music full time..

As the Joker says - "If your good a something , never do it for free" :-)

• Advertisement

As the Joker says - "If your good at something , never do it for free" :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Hi guys,

I'm going into a small bar in the countryside in Kildare to look to book a gig for my band. We'll do a 2 hour set and I was thinking of looking for €100. Would you say we are overcharging? I don't want to be pushing the manager as we haven't gigged in about 3 months.

I know my last drummer wanted to ask for €400 for a 2 hour set hahaha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That's a bit too low. Aim for at least €80 a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Got told no in first bar,2nd bar gave us a phone number and 3rd bar booked us.

It's our first real 'paid' gig.€50 for 2 hour set of Acoustic covers,so not great at all.But for the gear we have (80 watt Thomann Pa).

They told me full bands get €200 there so will take the €50 for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Should be getting average €100/head. You'd get it in Limerick and the surrounding areas if you're any good

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Just read through this thread, thanks to all who contributed. It's got some good info and insight on it.

I'm currently playing in a covers band, we play a mixed bag of classics and modern stuff. Ideally, we were hoping to crack the Wedding circuit, but that's a bit far off. One thing we noticed was that numerous Dublin bars seemed to only want acoustic, low-volume stuff (presumably not to deter any punters who just want a quiet pint) so we streamed the band down and rearranged our set-list. Our drummer is cool with us doing some acoustic gigs to get some cash and our name out.

Can anyone tell me does the price usually drop when playing a midweek gig? I know this depends on the bar and location, but I'm just trying to gather some more info. I'd be of the opinion that if we found a bar willing to pay us for playing a two-hour set on, let's say a Tues evening, that we'll get less than we would for a Sat night slot. If so, can anyone give me a ball park figure of how much we're talking, please?

We have a PA etc. so we could bring that with us if the venue didn't have it.

Cheers, folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement