Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak

Options
  • 29-04-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hey all

Looking for a pub where I can go in and have a really good steak and a pint of Guinness. I know plenty of restaurants in Kilkenny do great steaks. I just want to go in order medium steak, chips, onions and a pint of Guinness. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Rafter Dempseys used to do a good steak.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 xxshirlxx

newpark hotel.. the bistro bar.. lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Would have to say rafter dempseys also.
    Their desserts are pretty good too

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Thanks all

I will get back with reports over the next few weeks.
    I will be judging
    1. the steak
    2. the chips
    3. the onions
    4. the pint of guinness
    5. and of course the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Lettuce know how it goes anwyay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I like the 'Bookmaker's Sandwich' in Kyteler's Inn.

Not exactly a steak dinner in the classic sense since it is served on a ciabatta but it's nice and the pints in there are savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I had a steak before in The Orchard and it was very good.

Back looking for a pub where I can go in and have a really good steak and a pint of Guinness. I know plenty of restaurants in Kilkenny do great steaks. I just want to go in order medium steak, chips, onions and a pint of Guinness. Any thoughts?
    Any updates since 2012?
    My most recent nice steak was in the Algarve Grill. Great steak. Great food in general there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

kenn0 wrote: »
    Thanks all

I will get back with reports over the next few weeks.
    I will be judging
    1. the steak
    2. the chips
    3. the onions
    4. the pint of guinness
    5. and of course the price

I'm still waiting for your 2012 report!!!

kikel wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for your 2012 report!!!

I lost the beer mat I had it written on

• Advertisement

Back looking for a pub where I can go in and have a really good steak and a pint of Guinness. I know plenty of restaurants in Kilkenny do great steaks. I just want to go in order medium steak, chips, onions and a pint of Guinness. Any thoughts?
    Any updates since 2012?
    My most recent nice steak was in the Algarve Grill. Great steak. Great food in general there.

I've heard a number of people mention the Algarve Grill. I've being meaning to try it put could never convince the other half to join me.

I've heard a number of people mention the Algarve Grill. I've being meaning to try it put could never convince the other half to join me.
    solo mission required for the algarve

Steak is good there. Very nice staff too.
    The chicken piri piri cooked over charcoal grill is amazing.

Marble do a nice steak too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Any updates since 2012?

Try Rafter Dempseys if you haven't already. They pride themselves with their 'steak on a stone'.

citykat wrote: »
    Try Rafter Dempseys if you haven't already. They pride themselves with their 'steak on a stone'.

Was interested in your recommendation until the very last word. #bringbackplates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Was interested in your recommendation until the very last word. #bringbackplates

I'm with you on that. Not a fan of the 'stone' either but the filet steak on it was delicious.

It's a bit gimmicky alright but the SOTS idea is that your steak is actually cooking on the piping hot stone, not just served on it like you would a plate, meaning you can do it precisely to your liking and it's perfectly hot and fresh when you eat it.

Edit I have never had it in Rafter Dempsey's so maybe their's is different

Sky King wrote: »
    It's a bit gimmicky alright but the SOTS idea is that your steak is actually cooking on the piping hot stone, not just served on it like you would a plate, meaning you can do it precisely to your liking and it's perfectly hot and fresh when you eat it.

Edit I have never had it in Rafter Dempsey's so maybe their's is different

If i'm paying an establishment for dinner i expect the staff to cook the dinner. If i was wanted to cook myself i would of stayed at home. :D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'm inclined to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Best steak I've ever had, & I've eaten plenty, was/is in Kytelers Inn.
    Fillet steak and all the trimmings. Meat is from a well known local butcher, one of the very few still butchering in Kilkenny. You won't be disappointed.

clivej wrote: »
    Best steak I've ever had, & I've eaten plenty, was/is in Kytelers Inn.
    Fillet steak and all the trimmings. Meat is from a well known local butcher, one of the very few still butchering in Kilkenny. You won't be disappointed.

Sound like you work for Kytlers knowing where they buy their meat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Sound like you work for Kytlers knowing where they buy their meat. :D
    In fairness Kytlers does have a good reputation for the roast dinners. Actually I'm in mind for one now!

catbear wrote: »
    In fairness Kytlers does have a good reputation for the roast dinners. Actually I'm in mind for one now!

Jeez, 2 recommendations in ones day. The staff are out in full!!! (only kiddin)

I may go back. I ate there once, it was terrible. Will try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Jeez, 2 recommendations in ones day. The staff are out in full!!! (only kiddin)

I may go back. I ate there once, it was terrible. Will try again.
    It's not the type of food I'd rave about but it has been dependable. It's a place you could take elder relatives (if you get them up the steps) who'd don't like anything fussy.

I actually avoid Kytlers as a pub, always too full of tourist trad music.

Advertisement