Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC routers are CRAP !!

• 29-04-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey all,

I've being with UPC now for a little over 3 months. First signed up for their 25MB fibre package and later upgraded to their 100MB fibre package.
    Yes the connection is very fast, what you'd expect from a 100 MB download speed connection BUT...

...here comes the downside to UPC
    Their routers are useless unless you plan to only have one person use the internet at any one time in the house. Let me explain why... :rolleyes:

The routers you receive from UPC (I've gone through 3 and have their most recent one now) have no QoS feature (Quality Of Service) or the most recent one only has the QoS feature for the ""Wireless"" connections to it.
    The QoS feature is something that is built into the router that acts like a traffic cop at an intersection where the traffic lights have stopped working, the traffic cop gives each lane of traffic it's fair share of the road during busy times, With UPC routers it's more a case of that movie Mad Max, bandit country! No rules!

So lets say John is upstairs on his computer, John is quite an annoying tenant who is sub-renting one of the rooms in your house. His computer is connected directly to the UPC router via Ethernet cable and John sure loves to use a lot of Torrent websites downloading large files and making sure that the 100 MB line gets its intended usage.

Now onto Myself, My computer which is downstairs and also happens to be connected to the router directly via Ethernet cable. I come into my room, sit down in front of my computer and proceed to load the Google search page. It does not load, no network connection or it loads a blank white page.
    Why..? Because John upstairs is consuming all available bandwidth on the internet connection and until whatever it is he is doing has finished my computer will have to sit in the queue and wait until whatever it is he is downloading has finished. No QoS feature, no traffic cop !!! :mad:

So I watch the router closely which happens to be directly beside my computer, I'm on port 1 and he is on port 2...I watch his LED light on connection 2 blink constantly in the hope it will soon slow down and stop suggesting whatever he was downloading has finished so I can finally start to use the Internet too, after all I'm paying 50% of the costs as well as him.
    It does not slow down, out of anger I feel like plugging his Ethernet cable out, but don't want to cause an argument so all I do is drop hints while in the kitchen together that the connection was crap, that there is no QoS feature and when he is doing something with the internet that I can't etc.. etc...

I can't shout upstairs to him to stop what he is doing, it's not entirely his fault, it's the UPC routers lacking features to prevent this exact situation from occurring that's the problem here. I want a router with a QoS feature that cuts each computers bandwidth in half to allow each computer connected to the router their fair share. Now this is not possible with UPC routers, I've being on the phone to them non stop about this issue that's why I went through 3 routers with them, they always try to claim it's a line fault or router fault unless you keep on them and they finally acknowledged that their routers suck and don't have that feature but not in those words.

Now I've being doing a little research, I think a solution is to purchase another router that has QoS fully supported where I can assign speeds to certain MAC addresses in the router. The problem is I'm not sure which router I need to buy in order to achieve this.

To simply put it, you plug your new router into the UPC router and have your new router manage all the Ethernet cables and whatever wireless connections that happens to use the connection also. Drop the firewall and all other security features on the UPC router and place your new routers IP address into the DMZ.

My question to you all, which new router is best to purchase in order to achieve this goal?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

QoS and traffic shaping are relatively advanced features which 95% of customers won't even have heard of, and 99% won't want to use. I don't really think their decision not to supply routers capable of these features really deserves such a long rant, complete with CAPS and angry smilies.

To solve your problem, you might be able to pick up a relatively cheap second hand router that can run dd-wrt firmware, which I believe supports QoS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

FruitLover wrote: »
    QoS and traffic shaping are relatively advanced features which 95% of customers won't even have heard of, and 99% won't want to use. I don't really think their decision not to supply routers capable of these features really deserves such a long rant, complete with CAPS and angry smilies.

To solve your problem, you might be able to pick up a relatively cheap second hand router that can run dd-wrt firmware, which I believe supports QoS.

+1, Very few routers have this feature and most standard ones that do, don't do it very well as they haven't got a strong enough cpu or enough memory. Get a better router with a decent amount of memory and install DD-WRT on it for a full set of features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This one has 32MB ram, flash DD-WRT on it.
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2081490

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wattbulb

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    This one has 32MB ram, flash DD-WRT on it.
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2081490

Awesome cheers mate, I'll look into that. +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread cleaned. All the OT crap stops now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

When i was with upc i used the Cisco router/modem they gave me.
    I can say i never any issues, like streaming 1080p video, playing the xbox and dmwmjmadgm torrents at the sametime and nothing slipped a beat. Only due to moving id still be with them

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wattbulb

When i was with upc i used the Cisco router/modem they gave me.
    I can say i never any issues, like streaming 1080p video, playing the xbox and dmwmjmadgm torrents at the sametime and nothing slipped a beat. Only due to moving id still be with them

You had no problems when someone else in your house was downloading large files and you were still able to do the very same as they were without any issues what's so ever on a 100 MB line? That sounds like a sweet QoS feature to me, has to be... otherwise everyone was using wireless in your house or just using the internet for web browsing and basic light internet usage.

I have to buy the router PogMoThoin recommended above in order to achieve what you got from UPC...odd..maybe they went downhill since you were with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

User banned for ignoring simple instructions. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement