Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creches and childminders

Options
  • 29-04-2012 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hello all!
    I'm about to have my first child and I've been struggling to get much information on what happens when I go back to work.
    My first question for you is when did you put your child in a crèche or institution alike? When my maternity leave is over, my child won't even be 6 months old yet and will have to spend 8 hours a day being cared for by a stranger... this makes me very nervous. My workplace is unbelievably rigid and it doesn't seem like they'll agree to either unpaid leave or part time work for a while.
    Ideally, I'd want to work part time until the baby is a year.
    My second question is: are there any crèches in the city centre? By that I mean centre centre...
    I have contacted a few crèches asking about price and availability (those are considered to be in the centre but they are still about 20 min walk from the centre) and NONE of them have gotten back to me.
    I feel quite discouraged about the issue of prices for childcare and the fact that going back to work means having to earn a lot more (with the same salary!). I'm thinking of emigrating back to France where crèches are state subsidised and basically free :(... but I really would prefer staying here.
    Lastly, are there people here who had to stop working because they couldn't afford a crèche?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son was 7.5 months when I went back to work. Do you know that you're entitled to up to 6 months unpaid after your statutory maternity leave? Also are you aware that you accumulate your annual leave and public holidays while you're on maternity leave?

I certainly don't consider our crèche an institution. The staff are fantastic and they're crazy about my son. They totally dote on him and he loves going everyday.

I think you probably need to be a bit more assertive with regards to crèches. Emailing is good so you can follow up with a phone call and other emails. Have you looked up www.childcare.ie which details all the registered crèches around the country.

As for your comparison with crèches in France my friend had her third child in France last year and couldn't get a place in a crèche so she had to put him with a childminder which is quite expensive. She said there's a real lack of crèches in her city anyway so while they're quite cheap compared to Ireland it's very difficult to get a place. The big advantage with France is that kids start school at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Where i work out of my original team 4 gave up working in the last 3 years as they couldn't afford childcare. Its very common but you have to plan ahead and look into how your going to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

How Strange, you're totally right, it's hard to get a place in a french crèche sometimes but it depends where.
    Anyway, the 6 months unpaid leave has to be agreed with the employer and mine made it clear they weren't going to let me.
    I've looked at that site you mention, and other ones too. It's so hard to know what to do! Also, I never see any prices! It's almost like you're buying a luxurious item and the price doesn't matter! ha ha
    Also by 'intstitution' I just meant establishment... without the negative connotation.
    The other problem I'm having is my work is basically asking me now when I'm coming back and this could change (I don't even have the baby yet!) according to finances and if we find a crèche! I just find them very unaccommodating!

lounakin, sorry its 4 months unpaid and its your legal entitlement so your employer can't refuse it. They mightn't like you taking it but that's another matter. I'd recommend you consider taking as much unpaid leave as you can afford because you'll never have the opportunity again; at least not with this baby.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

I'd imagine crèches in the city centre are around €1200-1400 a month.

Thanks! I thought I'd read that but my employer seems to think she has to agree to it anyway... I was going to take my annual leave and she tried to tell me I wasn't entitled to it! I had to give her a copy of that page to prove to her I could take it!

• Advertisement

You're entitled to annual leave AND all public holidays that fall during your maternity leave. I think your employer is getting confused with parental leave which they can refuse a couple of times or insist on how it's taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hiya...creches are expensive, especially the closer you go to town. Give a few if them a call and ask to visit them. You'll either get a feel for a place or you won't. It's important to feel you're leaving your baby in a place you trust, you'll feel much better about leaving them . You have to provide your own nappies, cream, wipes and formula, but once they're on solids and full milk, that should be included in the price. Also ask what days they're closed and make sure you factor that into your own holidays. Be prepared that whenever they shut, you may still have to pay. One of the downsides of creche.

Try and work out who will be collecting and dropping them off. Factor in that they might get ill and need collecting at short notice, if that's the case would it be better to have some where near work, or near home.

I couldn't leave mine with a minder, its just my own personal choice. I had an unpleasant experience as a child, so I prefer my kid in a room full of other minders where everyone can be seen!

You have the option to take 4 months unpaid leave, its up to your boss to accept it, as far as I know. But annual holidays, public holidays pay rises etc, you're entitled to everything you would be entitled to if you were working.

It's all a bit daunting, but finding a place you're happy with makes all the difference and makes the drop off easier. But that first while is tough !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are 2 Giraffe crches in the IFSC,one is called NCI and the other IFSC my daughter went to the IFSC one and it was excellent.

Moonbeam, I was thinking of the IFSC one since I'm not too far from the luas line. How much was it? And did they charge for holidays?
    I heard of this practice of making people pay when the establishment is closed.... i find that outrageous but sure, what can we do! My friend has an 8 year old and she was paying the school 500 euro a month to keep her for an extra hour in the afternoon, well they charge her all through the summer! Total joke.
    Oh, and does anyone know if the crèches accept washable nappies?
    Thanks for all your help everyone!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

All creches charge for holidays,they are only closed public holidays though.
    Creches average out the cost over 12 months rather then charge different amounts every month.
    I will pm you with details.

I would not expect a creche to accept washable nappies for health and safety reasons but you should ask them.

• Advertisement

Our crèche accepts reusable nappies. The 12 monthly charge is standard and while it may seem strange initially (it did to me anyway) it makes sense as the crèche have to pay staff holiday pay etc.

It's not that strange, but crèches should be subsidised and holidays funded...
    I find it strange that the parents have to pay for the staff to go on holiday and therefore not go themselves :) A grand a month is enormous to pay if your child is out for a month or two on holiday.

I suppose its a business at the end of the day...and if they're going to allow deductions for month long holidays, they'd just take kids that aren't going anywhere lol.

We pay 715e a month for a 3 day week. Sounds a lot, but it has been money excellently spent. In fact too well spent, we can't get him out of the place now! Lol

In the business I work in the clients don't pay for our holidays! But anyway. If I had time on my hands and wanted to have my kid with me for a month, I guess I'd leave the crèche and find another!

lounakin I used to work in a company where I was subcontracted to client sites and they did pay my holidays and my sick leave on a pro-rata basis. It wasn't presented to them like that but the contracted fee included my salary, leave, sick leave, bonus. So in effect the clients were paying for my holidays.

Your clients pay your boss, who pays for your paid leave....so technically they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lounakin, my daughter was 4 months old when i went back to work. She started creche then. I was quite nervous at the start. She loves the minders, asks for them by name when we are home, or on the way there. She only has about ten words at the moment, and two of them are her creche buddies! She really loves interacting with other children too. I make sure to have a chat with them for a minute when i drop her off or pick up, so we have built up a good relationship. they know her really well at this stage, they won't be strangers to you for long. They say it takes a village to raise a child...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There are 2 Giraffe crches in the IFSC,one is called NCI and the other IFSC my daughter went to the IFSC one and it was excellent.
    Hi i was looking at this one as well and was wondering do you know what the cost is per day or half day?? Thanks

They don't do half days but pm'd you what we paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

lounakin wrote: »
    cared for by a stranger... this makes me very nervous.

I totally understand your anxeity but it won't be more than a couple of days and you'll see how well these Creche's care for your baby.

I know 900 seems like a lot but they are limited to how many babies to minder they can have, look at the expenses of the creche and you'll see that they are really not so dear directly, it just costs that much to mind a child.

In return for the money... Our lil girl is 2 1/2 now and of all the cut backs we might have to make in this economy taking her out of the creche would be bottom of the list. I won't start to list the number of ways it brings her on because I wouldn't know where to stop. I'll just say that a class environment is a wonderful growing environment for her.

I don't know of any places in the City but I just wanted to add that to hopefully help ease your worries a bit :)

• Advertisement

How strange, I understand the concept of having SOME paid holiday, however, it should be included in the price.
    Anyway... I just read above that Giraffe don't do half days... so that's settled I'm not paying 12 months of crèche to only bring my child in the morning! (ideally I'd work part-time when I come back) as this essentially means paying more for when the child is not there! Ridiculous. I'm sure those crèches are great and I'm sure the carers are great and that children benefit from being sociable with other kids. The plain fact is, it's outrageously expensive while not being very convenient at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

Going off the discussion a bit but in line with the subject of this thread

I wouldn't bother with a creche. I brough my son to a creche for a few weeks and it was a nightmare. He wasn't looked after at all. I'm an easy going person but I could fill in a page writing the things that were wrong. Thankfully for everyone, I won't :D
    We found a fantastic childminder and he couldn't be happier.

fptosca wrote: »
    Going off the discussion a bit but in line with the subject of this thread

I wouldn't bother with a creche. I brough my son to a creche for a few weeks and it was a nightmare. He wasn't looked after at all. I'm an easy going person but I could fill in a page writing the things that were wrong. Thankfully for everyone, I won't :D
    We found a fantastic childminder and he couldn't be happier.

How did you find the childminder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Having gone down both routes of childcare (ie: creche & childminder) I would say there are pros & cons of each.

But OP, if you are concerned about paying for hols, keep in mind that *some* childminders will do the same - our first minder said she was legally entitled to charge me when we didn't bring our child because we went on pre-planned holidays. Not all minders will do this, but technically they are allowed to.

One advantage of the creche, IMO, was that you don't have to worry about the minder getting sick. You know that your child will be looked after & you won't have to take off work b/c the minder's ill (of course, the flip side being that you can't bring your sick kid to creche whereas it may be ok to bring him/her to the minder).

How strange, I understand the concept of having SOME paid holiday, however, it should be included in the price.
    Anyway... I just read above that Giraffe don't do half days... so that's settled I'm not paying 12 months of crèche to only bring my child in the morning! (ideally I'd work part-time when I come back) as this essentially means paying more for when the child is not there! Ridiculous. I'm sure those crèches are great and I'm sure the carers are great and that children benefit from being sociable with other kids. The plain fact is, it's outrageously expensive while not being very convenient at all.

Why not find a creche that does half days then? Our creche has different price systems for different set ups, I'm sure other creches do the same?

Some childminders also charge for holidays (theirs and yours) the only difference is, when your childminder is on hols, who do you get to mind your kid? When they're sick what happens?

You're just going to have to enquire with different creches and childminders and figure out what's right for you.

The thing is where we live there are no crèches... the two giraffes in question are the closest and still far enough that I would have to start work about an hour late to get my child there. We are in the black whole of child rearing: the centre of the city centre!

Sorry op..I don't think I'm reading you right, tis me switched off baby brain lol. Is the ifsc where you live or where you work? Your work is an hour away from where you live? What about creches/childminders along your route?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

fptosca wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with a creche.

I would have to be desperate to take our child out of the creche. We're with Enquiring Minds in Clane and they are fantastic in every way. We're planning a move soon and so we'll have to change creche and from reading here I'm starting to get worried because EM have set the bar very high.

Child minders are fine but there's a limit to how far along they can take your child. Learning in groups in the creche is very productive, then we back it up with a little 1 on 1 time at home. Also as your child becomes more active the facility to tear about the place at play time can only be equalled by other toddlers.

For finding a childminder - http://www.childminding.ie/find-childcare/

It means that your childminder is registered and most importantly insured,most are also Garda vetted.

If you have any questions about childminders you can pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

The thing is where we live there are no crèches... the two giraffes in question are the closest and still far enough that I would have to start work about an hour late to get my child there. We are in the black whole of child rearing: the centre of the city centre!

where in the city centre are you? There is a creche close to the uslter bank centre opposite the ifsc and then further up towards the canal if you were travelling those ways. there is no demand slap bang in the city centre for creches so you will find it very hard to get one and also the layout/design of buildings makes it very hard for any creche to open a viable creche there.

Advertisement