Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone with Good camera,HDMI out, USB host, fm transmitter, good maps/ navigation

Options
  • 29-04-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭

I WANT - Phone with Good camera, HDMI out, USB host, FM transmitter, good maps/ navigation

I HAVE - Nokia N8 with all above. FM transmitter is on no other phone except the 808.

Options - Nokia Pureview 808 seems to have everything -and is the only other phone with an FM transmitter - but not out yet and camera looks unwieldy

HTC One X or S seem to be missing USB host and HDMI

Lumia 800 has no HDMI or USB Host.

Galaxy S2 seems to come close? But HDMI/USB host seem to be from the one connection hence you can't "play on tv via HDMI from a usb stick" without extra adaptors.

Have I any other upgrade options is there anything on the way on any operating system that has everything?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can I ask why the change, or what the n8 isn't doing for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Davy wrote: »
    Can I ask why the change, or what the n8 isn't doing for you?

Good question. It's been acting up recently and...if truth be told I'm at the end of a contract and just looking at options for something new ;)

But as per my question - it's not easy to find an upgrade with these features!

Was very disappointed to find that the Lumia's missed out on a lot of standard features with previous Nokia phones.

Good question. It's been acting up recently and...if truth be told I'm at the end of a contract and just looking at options for something new ;)

For what you want the n8 is what I would have suggested if you hadn't already owned one. That's the problem trying to replace it as its impossible when you need a hdmi out and fm transmitter with an excellent camera.

If it was me I might look at my plan usage and maybe go prepay or rolling bill pay and avoid the new contract/phone

For what you want the n8 is what I would have suggested if you hadn't already owned one. That's the problem trying to replace it as its impossible when you need a hdmi out and fm transmitter with an excellent camera.

If it was me I might look at my plan usage and maybe go prepay or rolling bill pay and avoid the new contract/phone

Yeah true. The only feature I could think about losing would be the transmitter - useful but not absolutely necessary.

I agree - will just go prepay for a few months and see what develops. The Nokia sureview 808 does look interesting though!

I agree - will just go prepay for a few months and see what develops. The Nokia sureview 808 does look interesting though!

Yes it's defo one to watch, I'm not mad on the shape of it but the hardware is impressive. Going prepay for the meantime does seem like the smartest thing to do.

You said the n8 was giving a few issues, what kind of problems you having?

• Advertisement

You said the n8 was giving a few issues, what kind of problems you having?

Rebooting regularly, looking for pin code even without a reboot i.e. while the phone is on, gave a "hardware error contact retailer" message - and couldn't physically turn the phone off a few times to reboot - simply would not turn off even holding down power switch so had to let battery run. Oh - and going "offline" as well - phone working but in offline mode.

All in the space of the last 2 weeks.

I would reflash the software

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I WANT - Phone with Good camera, HDMI out, USB host, FM transmitter, good maps/ navigation

Xperia S: 12MP whopper camera w/ flash. HDMI check. USB Host Check. FM Receiver only. Double GPS(Uses GPS and GLONASS[russian GPS] in tandem for amazing accuracy and lock speed).

I'm assuming the FM transmission is for your car radio, when you can use bluetooth then it really shouldn't be a deciding factor IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

ED E wrote: »
    I'm assuming the FM transmission is for your car radio, when you can use bluetooth then it really shouldn't be a deciding factor IMO.

That's assuming that the car has bluetooth. If not, an FM Transmitter is a substantial plus for the N8.

Xperia S: 12MP whopper camera w/ flash. HDMI check. USB Host Check. FM Receiver only. Double GPS(Uses GPS and GLONASS[russian GPS] in tandem for amazing accuracy and lock speed).

That's assuming that the car has bluetooth. If not, an FM Transmitter is a substantial plus for the N8.

Thanks Ed, yes, I had been looking at the xperia S and can't remember why I had ruled it out...will re-look - but Davy has me nearly reconvinced to wait until a real update comes along for the N8 - I think all the rest are just 'replacements' at the moment.

Kevin - no bluetooth you are correct!

• Advertisement

http://www.amazon.com/Soundfly-Ultimate-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Charger/dp/B001DDE4VY Worth considering.

The whole wait/buy now is never ending. The 808 looks like the new flagship but that wont be out for a fair while yet.

The whole wait/buy now is never ending.

I agree with that, but I said if it was me in this case it's what I would do. Spending money for the sake of it isn't the best thing to do if your not really happy with your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm in same boat looking for upgrade from N8 for the sake of change. 808 says coming out 7th May in UK so hopefully Ireland not too far behind. Crossing my fingers VF carry it!

Mine's also started acting up recently. Often the touch screen doesn't respond properly. In gmail if I click the refresh button nothing happens but then when I try to open an email it "unfreezes". Similarly in any text situation (using Swype) I'll long press a letter to get a symbol but it doesn't appear unless I hold it to the point of getting the menu listing a few symbol options.

That said, apart from little niggles it's still a top notch phone!

Purely to get into the android enviornment would be worth it IMO :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Xperia S is a nice phone, but I think its a bit underpowered compared to the rest, its also a brick of a phone. Its the size of a 4.7" screen phone with a 4.3" screen...

Didn't play with it for a long time but I just thought it was a bit jerky at times

Load of the store models are laggy as fúck from what I've heard. In reality for 99% of users its super smooth.

And its not really underpowered, 1.5Ghz Dual/1GB is way over spec for ICS nevermind GB. The One X is Tegra three which is nice and all, but other than tegra 3 games, nothing is optimized for quad, not even android. In practical terms its a bit of a waste. I can emulate windows on my S, thats enough horsepower for a phone IMO.

Oh yeah, it also doubles really nicely as a Playstation 1 :D

Load of the store models are laggy as fúck from what I've heard. In reality for 99% of users its super smooth.

And its not really underpowered, 1.5Ghz Dual/1GB is way over spec for ICS nevermind GB. The One X is Tegra three which is nice and all, but other than tegra 3 games, nothing is optimized for quad, not even android. In practical terms its a bit of a waste. I can emulate windows on my S, thats enough horsepower for a phone IMO.

Oh yeah, it also doubles really nicely as a Playstation 1 :D

Not a store model. Got my own test unit for a day, first boot was very slow. Home screen was extremely jerky till first reboot. It got better after a while, but still wasn't as smooth as I would like it to be.

Reason why I call it slightly underpowered is because of the 720p display. The more pixels the more power is needed to drive those around the screen. Not because it lacks quad core and other bits and bobs.

You cant emulate WP7 :) You can try to imitate it, but those WP7 launchers in Android Market don't come near to the real thing.

Not a store model. Got my own test unit for a day, first boot was very slow. Home screen was extremely jerky till first reboot. It got better after a while, but still wasn't as smooth as I would like it to be.

Reason why I call it slightly underpowered is because of the 720p display. The more pixels the more power is needed to drive those around the screen. Not because it lacks quad core and other bits and bobs.

You cant emulate WP7 :) You can try to imitate it, but those WP7 launchers in Android Market don't come near to the real thing.

Yeah, some phones seem to be laggy out of the box, but a clean flash seems to fix it.

It scores lower in some benches due to it being 720 alright, which some fools interpret as it being slower in general:rolleyes: GPU seems well capable from everything I've tried, but yeah, comparing with its lower res counterparts it does lose out in a sense.

And I didnt mean some dumb launcher when I said emulation, what I really should have said is a VM ;) Havent got as modern as 7 but we'll see.

going back to this conversation - what maps does the Xperia S use - are they google maps requiring internet connection or downloadable like the nokia maps?

going back to this conversation - what maps does the Xperia S use - are they google maps requiring internet connection or downloadable like the nokia maps?

It has Google maps like all the android phones. It also has wise pilot. I didn't test wise pilot but as far as I remember its only a trial?

• Advertisement
Advertisement