Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Power supply and Directive 1999/44/EC

Options
  • 29-04-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Ok, so this is a long shot but any advice I can get is welcomed.

I'm now living in Berlin so I don't expect everyone to be an expert but I'd love to know where we stand.

My Girlfriend bought a new macbook pro in early 2008 in Germany.
    The power supply (mag safe thing) stopped working in 2010.

She went to apple certified seller here in berlin and bought a brand new power adaptor for about €70 on 12/12/2010. we have the receipt.

The problem is that this adaptor has also stopped working (sometime last week). not through missuse or maltreatment either, it just appears to have broken and there are no signs of wear and tear.

I was under the impression that I could quote the EU Directive 1999/44/EC and claim that she was entitled to a repair or a replacement.
    We called the shop and were ensured it was only a 1 year guarantee. I then quoted the directive and was told i was wrong.

Do I have a comeback if I can go into the shop with the german version of the directive printed out for them and politely request a new power supply?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I would think so as this directive gives you protection of up to two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

Excellent, that's what I was thinking.

I would guess the guy on the phone was just trying to protect himself, but I would guess that if I'm able to show him the directive in black and white I would have a better chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Most shop staff are under orders to refuse replacements refunds and only take items for repair as a last resort, when confronted with their legal obligations management will usually comply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

richiek wrote: »
    Ok, so this is a long shot but any advice I can get is welcomed.

I'm now living in Berlin so I don't expect everyone to be an expert but I'd love to know where we stand.

My Girlfriend bought a new macbook pro in early 2008 in Germany.
    The power supply (mag safe thing) stopped working in 2010.

She went to apple certified seller here in berlin and bought a brand new power adaptor for about €70 on 12/12/2010. we have the receipt.

The problem is that this adaptor has also stopped working (sometime last week). not through missuse or maltreatment either, it just appears to have broken and there are no signs of wear and tear.

I was under the impression that I could quote the EU Directive 1999/44/EC and claim that she was entitled to a repair or a replacement.
    We called the shop and were ensured it was only a 1 year guarantee. I then quoted the directive and was told i was wrong.

Do I have a comeback if I can go into the shop with the german version of the directive printed out for them and politely request a new power supply?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions :)

You'll need to check and see if Germany signed up to the directive in full. In Ireland we didn't implement the 2 year part of the directive, as we have better protection with our Sales of Goods Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

whiterebel wrote: »
    You'll need to check and see if Germany signed up to the directive in full. In Ireland we didn't implement the 2 year part of the directive, as we have better protection with our Sales of Goods Act.

Just had a quick google there and it would appear that Germany did indeed sign up for the directive, increasing the initial sales agreement from 6 months to 2 years.

The guy we spoke to in the shop before mentioned something about the difference between a guarantee and a warranty, but the only difference I can find is that a guarantee can mean the outcome where a refund is possible. I just want a replacement

• Advertisement
Advertisement