Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a relay get warm?

Options
  • 29-04-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

I have wired up something for my motorbike. Part of it is a relay which is triggered when I turn on the bike.

The relay starts to get warm if the circuit is open for around 5 minutes.

It's a 40amp relay. The battery its connected to is 12volts.

Should it be getting hot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I have wired up something for my motorbike. Part of it is a relay which is triggered when I turn on the bike.

What are you running through the relay? Its not unusual for them to get a bit warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

robbie7730 wrote: »

What are you running through the relay? Its not unusual for them to get a bit warm.

Just a usb port to charge my phone but it gets warm even when the phone is not connected so should not be drawing a current.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Just a usb port to charge my phone but it gets warm even when the phone is not connected so should not be drawing a current.

The relay coil itself will still be powered once it has the 12v to it, even if the item you have powered through the relay contacts is not connected.

The relay coils do warm up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea they can get warm, if you look up coil power ratting its probably a watt or so, so would feel slightly warm. Shouldn't be hot as such.

Advertisement