Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering practical exam 2012!!

• 29-04-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey, Did anyone do their practical day exam yet ? how did it go ? I have mine tomorrow and I m kind of worried..:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

i think mine is tuesday, post up the sheet you get when you can please

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Hey, Did anyone do their practical day exam yet ? how did it go ? I have mine tomorrow and I m kind of worried..:(
    Mines on the 8th of may itll hopefully go good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

Mines on the 8th of may itll hopefully go good!!

if so that means you have a head start because u will know whats to be made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭justBlake

Mines thursday. hope its as easy as last years. in my school the were all finished an hour early

justBlake wrote: »
    Mines thursday. hope its as easy as last years. in my school the were all finished an hour early
    Well if possible post up the sheet if u cud afterwords cud be a huge help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭CWF

Is there a Engineering Practical for Ordinary Level pupils?

Scratch that, there is. And it seems it's the exact same fitting test and marking scheme as the Higher Level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

That was easy! We weren't allowed take the sheets on with us. It's a locking mechanism. Piece 2 isn't as hard as it looks, just take your time with it ;)

out of curiosity did it take you the full 6 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

good luck with it. i hope you do well :)

out of curiosity did it take you the full 6 hours?

Took me three hours to make all the pieces. Then I remade one cos I wasn't all that happy with it and I had the time. But finishing it and getting it working smoothly took me right up til four o'clock.

• Advertisement

Leftyflip wrote: »
    That was easy! We weren't allowed take the sheets on with us. It's a locking mechanism. Piece 2 isn't as hard as it looks, just take your time with it ;)
    Any in depth info about man??

any edges the had to be filed at an angle?

Piece 1: Radius corners, two small slots and a 10mm hole, and some threading
    Piece 2: Radius corners, complicated slot, hole thingy.
    Piece 3: Radius top and bottom, CSK hole.
    Piece 4/5: Radius corners, radius in the inside too.

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Piece 1: Radius corners, two small slots and a 10mm hole, and some threading
    Piece 2: Radius corners, complicated slot, hole thingy.
    Piece 3: Radius top and bottom, CSK hole.
    Piece 4/5: Radius corners, radius in the inside too.

doesnt seem too bad/// what was assembly like?

also nothing to do with practical but what kind of things should i study for the theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

also nothing to do with practical but what kind of things should i study for the theory?
    The exam papers, the respective marking schemes and your special topic. Only look at the book e.t.c. if absolutely necessary.

The exam papers, the respective marking schemes and your special topic. Only look at the book e.t.c. if absolutely necessary.

so basicly do every question in my papers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

so basicly do every question in my papers?
    More or less, yeah.

There's no need to do every single question on the paper. Just do enough until you know it all. If you want to be smart with your time, completely leave out a question or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

Just done mine there today and if it wasnt for the main brass piece it would have been the simplest one ive ever seen.however you need 2 of thr small lathe pieces . Its a simple locking mechanism but it is very precise and 1mm off on the brass piece slot can make the difference .

Any questions just ask and ill give ya what i know

Just done mine there today and if it wasnt for the main brass piece it would have been the simplest one ive ever seen.however you need 2 of thr small lathe pieces . Its a simple locking mechanism but it is very precise and 1mm off on the brass piece slot can make the difference .

Any questions just ask and ill give ya what i know
    Did ye get a pic? How was the timing? Do u have to do anything with the face piece?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't ask for (or upload) pictures of exam work and exam materials while the exam period is ongoing for other centres.
    The SEC are very strict on this and will pursue you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

No that piece is left as is, no adjustments needed other than polishing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭CWF

Done and done!

Advertisement