Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dried beans vs canned beans

Options
  • 29-04-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Ive never had dried beans or dried chickpeas - the whole soaking process has always tended to put me off.
    So what im wondering is, am i missing out? Do the dried beans taste better than the canned or is it pretty much the same?:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Dried are far superior, both for taste and nutrition. I like to sprout them - after they've been soaked overnight, drain and rinse. Keep in the dark at room temperature for a few days, rinsing and draining once or twice a day. They should germinate, growing little white tails. This converts starch to sugar and manufactures vitamins, so you get a much better all-round food than the canned stuff, and you can eat them raw!

Or you can soak overnight and then simmer for 45 minutes, whatever, y'know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Adding to the above - the dried versions are usually cheaper anyway, you're buying them in larger quantities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Here's a thread from a couple of months ago about dried chickpeas - I posted a falafel recipe with pics, there are some other good ideas in there too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056541908

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Adding to the above - the dried versions are usually cheaper anyway, you're buying them in larger quantities
    You can get massive tins of chickpeas in some asian shops which are a fraction of the price per 100g as normal supermarkets. And massive bags of dried ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get massive tins of chickpeas in some asian shops which are a fraction of the price per 100g as normal supermarkets. And massive bags of dried ones.

I used to buy these from asian shops in the UK, harder to track down in more rural parts of Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

I used to use tinned chickpeas/beans a lot but now I mostly just use dried beans. I use this method which means that I don't have to bother with soaking.

If you use recipes a lot and need a conversion for tinned to dried beans, this is helpful..

I like dried beans better in terms of taste, storage, price and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A pressure cooker will allow for a quick no soak cook. Mine is 15psi but I can run it up to 28psi. Lots on sale now are only 12psi which is pretty bad.

They do frozen chickpeas in tesco now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I usually buy tins (60c-ish in Aldi) but today I got 1 kilo of dried chickpeas for 2.50,in an Asian shop, I'm delighted. It will be worth it in the long run. Im cross with myself :mad: Ive never bothered buying dry beans before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23 waseqr

what are the frozen ones like i find that beans don't always freeze and defrost al l that well.
    does the quick cook method work. I generally soak for as long as i can and then cook for 20 mins to an hour (depending on the bean).
    because of this i generally do big batches which i try and freeze if there was a better way i'd be all for it.

Advertisement