Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a difference between fluid and liquid?

• 29-04-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

I'm thirsty...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_fluid_and_a_liquid
    Fluids versus liquids
    All liquids are fluids but not all fluids are liquids. The scientist (or engineer) will make that distinction but the non-scientist frequently doesn't.
    Fluids flow. They include liquids and gases. Liquids are a type of fluid that flows and takes the shape of its container but does not expand to fill its container. (Gases do that.) Liquid is the second state of matter, between solid and gas.

Liquids do not expand, gases do. The main point is that gases and liquids are both fluids.

Google, yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

seklly wrote: »
    I'm thirsty...

Don't drink Jayes Fluid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Drink your own piss, its sterile and you'll like the taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

stimpson wrote: »
    Don't drink Jayes Fluid.

Also, don't drink Jayes Fluid in the Jayes Fluid. Spillages could be painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

air is a common fluid. you'd still be thirsty after a glass of it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fluid seeps. Liquid pours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The more liquid I drink, the more fluid my dance moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

That's right, not your dancing but a movement can be fluid.. take for example pretty much anything st pats do on the field these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

can solids be fluids too? say like a bag of fine powder or tons of coal dust or something, that'll flow freely...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

can solids be fluids too? say like a bag of fine powder or tons of coal dust or something, that'll flow freely...
    can solids be fluids :Donly outta of yer arse after a night out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

stimpson wrote: »
    Don't drink Jayes Fluid.

I drank Zippo fluid once, High as a kite, I must say it was an even stranger bang than Crack and no I don't recommend it..I could smell it from my piss and anytime I belched for about two months after..

charlemont wrote: »
    I drank Zippo fluid once, High as a kite, I must say it was an even stranger bang than Crack and no I don't recommend it..I could smell it from my piss and anytime I belched for about two months after..
    really ???

luckyfrank wrote: »
    really ???

Yep, Mixed in with orange, An incredibly stupid thing to do I know, I can remember going to the fridge during the night and looking into it like it was a long corridor, Strange stuff indeed.
    I had been mugged earlier in the night so I was in **** form and thought I'd try it out to get a buzz. God only knows what damage I could have done but it was like 15 years ago and I'm fine now..

Yep, Mixed in with orange, An incredibly stupid thing to do I know, I can remember going to the fridge during the night and looking into it like it was a long corridor, Strange stuff indeed.
    I had been mugged earlier in the night so I was in **** form and thought I'd try it out to get a buzz. God only knows what damage I could have done but it was like 15 years ago and I'm fine now..

Shure ye are........

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Shure ye are........

Says the man who takes Lexotan...

Clearly doing much better than you so, Thank you..:p

Probably doing much better than you, Thank you..:p

:pac:

Says the man who takes Lexoton...

Clearly doing much better than you so, Thank you..:p

years off it mate............... just good ol lexapro now and a sh/it load of alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Anything that flows is a fluid, so sate your thirst with a glass of sand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

well isn't that very scientific, here's another.

Water is the only type of matter that it's solid floats on it's liquid or weighs less or some $h1t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No.

Although glass is a fluid, not a solid - just a very very slow moving one. If you go to a historical building a few hundred years old with original glass you will see its much thicker at the bottom than the top - its wasn't made that way - the glass has slowly flowed down with gravity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

:confused:
    No.

Although glass is a fluid, not a solid - just a very very slow moving one. If you go to a historical building a few hundred years old with original glass you will see its much thicker at the bottom than the top - its wasn't made that way - the glass has slowly flowed down with gravity.

This is not true...

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html

yeppydeppy wrote: »

Well that looks like a whole bunch of opinion to me - I see no math or measurements etc of any kind. I suppose though there is glass and there is glass. These days we do all kinds of fancy treatments on glass to harden it, tough it etc etc etc. Point is - there are different types of glass.

As to whether it s truly solid or liquid ? Honestly I don't really care either way. I don't find your link any more or less persuasive than the liquid theory - there is certainly no actual evidence in your link. So in summary - meh. Whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well that looks like a whole bunch of opinion to me - I see no math or measurements etc of any kind. I suppose though there is glass and there is glass. These days we do all kinds of fancy treatments on glass to harden it, tough it etc etc etc. Point is - there are different types of glass.

As to whether it s truly solid or liquid ? Honestly I don't really care either way. I don't find your link any more or less persuasive than the liquid theory - there is certainly no actual evidence in your link. So in summary - meh. Whatever.
    Here's your maths: http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/windowpane.html. It's linked to from the paper you just read. Come back when you have a sensible argument, not "Well that doesn't sound right to ME"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

All liquids are fluids, but not all fluids are liquids. Glass is an amorphous solid when below melting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Yes

28064212 wrote: »
    Here's your maths: http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/windowpane.html. It's linked to from the paper you just read. Come back when you have a sensible argument, not "Well that doesn't sound right to ME"

Don't have time to read it but I don't see any equations on there.
    **Looks at forum....see its After Hours
    Tell you what buddy - why don't you come back when you have an UN-sensible argument - RIGHT BUDDY !?!?!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

seminal! nuf said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But they don't quite flow freely - they can easily be formed into mounds and won't find their own level in the same way as a liquid.

Imagine pieces of Lego - definitely solids, but as you pour them out of the box, they momentarily behave like a fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bromine and mercury are the only elements that are liquid at room temperature.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    But they don't quite flow freely - they can easily be formed into mounds and won't find their own level in the same way as a liquid.

true, but I was more thinking in specific circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Esel wrote: »
    - and pressure. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And gallium
    and Francium, if you could get enough of it
    and Cesium

If you have to open the car doors to let the heat then Rubidium would probably melt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And gallium
    and Francium, if you could get enough of it
    and Cesium

If you have to open the car doors to let the heat then Rubidium would probably melt too.
    Per wikipedia, gallium " liquefies at temperature slightly above room temperature"

Same source: " Liquid francium—if such a substance were to be created"

Same source on mercury (bolding mine) "A heavy, silvery d-block element, mercury is the only metal that is liquid at standard conditions for temperature and pressure; the only other element that is liquid under these conditions is bromine, though metals such as caesium, francium, gallium, and rubidium melt just above room temperature."

*makes Prof. Frink noises :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If I fill a bucket with spoons and pour it off my roof it'll flow quite nicely.

There ya go OP, you can drink a spoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

melt just above room temperature."

*makes Prof. Frink noises :D
    in your universe all rooms are at the same temperature ?

those are all liquid in the tropics, unless you have working air conditioning
    and I've been in rooms here that would qualify

STP - Standard Temperature and Pressure - is defined by IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) as air at 0oC (273.15 K, 32 oF) and 10^5 pascals

NTP - Normal Temperature and Pressure - is defined as air at 20oC (293.15 K, 68oF) and 1 atm (101.325 kN/m2, 101.325 kPa, 14.7 psia, 0 psig, 29.92 in Hg, 760 torr). Density 1.204 kg/m3 (0.075 pounds per cubic foot)

SATP - Standard Ambient Temperature and Pressure, an absolute pressure of 100 kPa (14.504 psi, 0.986 atm) a temperature of 298.15 K (25 °C, 77 °F)

Personally I'd like to see 300K and 100 KPa as a standard as it's got nice round numbers,

That's the nice thing about standards , there are so many to choose from

Advertisement