Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weightlifting belts

Options
  • 29-04-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

any suggestions? and links thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

http://www.liftinglarge.com/Toro-Bravo-Powerlifting-Belt-10mm-_p_245.html

Any 10mm belt made of good quality leather with the same diameter all around will do the job.

Single prong is preferable to double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I got a double prong 10mm belt from Fighting Fit on Camden St the other day for €40. They've only 3 or 4 left though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shligo.bulker

Go to www.discountsupplements.ie free delivery an all. I get my protein frm them and got a decent powerlifting belt off them bout a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I find 10mm belts hard to wear but I can't argue with Hanleys's recommendation.

I bought the Toro 4 x 4 4mm belt from lifting large & I really like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I find 10mm belts hard to wear but I can't argue with Hanleys's recommendation.

I bought the Toro 4 x 4 4mm belt from lifting large & I really like it.

10mm belt hard to wear in what way?

And am I reading that right that you got a 4mm thick one?

• Advertisement

I just find them really uncomfortable getting down for a deadlift or at the bottom of a squat.

The 4mm Toro belt I bought is the same design as a PL belt (same thickness & size all the way round) just 6mm thinner and I find it more comfortable.

It's grand for what I'm lifting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's the same thickness, but 4mm thinner????
    I'm guessing you mean its the same width.

Is it this one?
    http://www.liftinglarge.com/Toro-4x4-Training-Belt--Special-Purchase_p_340.html

That says 1/4" not 4mm. I also seen a toro training belt that said it was 10mm

When i used the phrase "same thickness", I meant that its the same size the whole way round, ie, its not like one of the bodybuilding belts thats narrower in the front.

And yes, that's the belt I have.
    4 inches wide, and I stand corrected, it's not 4mm thick, its 1/4 inch or 6.35mm thick.

I prefer it to any other belt ive ever used.
    Ive tried 10mm buckle and lever belts and i even had a 13mm belt at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

OLDMAN1 wrote: »

I suggest that you don't use one.

Unless, however, you have a particular reason: medical, you're lifting big weight, ...

I think too many people lull themselves into a false sense of security when they have belts - it's not the belt, but the form, that keeps you safe.

Personally, I do not use one. I squat around my body weight. Don't really plan on going much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FISMA wrote: »
    I think too many people lull themselves into a false sense of security when they have belts - it's not the belt, but the form, that keeps you safe.
    This is the flaw in your logic.
    The belt isn't a safety device. Your form is still crucial, belt or not.
    It's a performance aid. It's there to increase intra-abdominal presure, so you can generate more force.

Weather or not it protects your lower back doesn't matter. If it does, great, if it doesn't there's no harm.

(for the record I don't use a belt, but i'm considering on at this point)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shligo.bulker

FISMA wrote: »
    OLDMAN1 wrote: »

I suggest that you don't use one.

Unless, however, you have a particular reason: medical, you're lifting big weight, ...

Personally, I do not use one. I squat around my body weight. Don't really plan on going much more.
    Belts make it easier to maintain proper form. I used to be like you and say belts are bad. Now i say belts are great. Just dont use them until your working sets. I personally try to do 1-2 working sets without it. I just use it when i start struggling through sets. Hate wearing it during squats and deads, just feels awkward. Its great for overhead pressing though.

Advertisement