Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2, episode 5 HAVE READ THE BOOKS/SPOILERS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Read the books and the TV series strays a bit from the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

another great ep,wait 3 weeks for mr R to get bumped off and it happens in the 1st 2 mins,great watching 1 of the dragons aswell.very good cgi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

another great ep,wait 3 weeks for mr R to get bumped off and it happens in the 1st 2 mins,great watching 1 of the dragons aswell.very good cgi.

Ah ye fecker, was saving it for when the brats were in bed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Fantastic episode, it just keeps getting better. My favourite moments happened at the Fist this episode, with Dolorous Edd, his one liners are making him one of my favourite characters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Great episode. Things beginning to happen and plotlines advancing. Loved the Harrenhal scenes. And keep an eye out for Roy Dotrice as the pyromancer, great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's the little divinations from the book that annoy me slightly and a pointless change from book to screen at that, but wasn't renley actually putting his armor on in the book not taking it off like he was here???

Thought it would have been much more effective had the shadow cleved right through it like in the book, but it definitely looked looked like Stanis a point which I mentioned in an earlier thread that I missed reading the book, and the fact that they did the birth scene 1st in the show and not the other way around as in the books actually set this weeks scene up in a much better way than had they done it the other way or am I remembering the book wrong ..... again :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Decent episode, still feel it's moving very slow though. The Tyrion scenes are great as per usual, especially the ones with Lancel.

What was the point of the scene where Irri/Jhiqi get's in a big jealous huff at Dorreah? Completely pointless. They are cutting enough out of the show without adding in pointless shít like that tbh.

Renlys death not done so great. In the book I liked the idea of a shadow on the tent wall detatching itself from the rest and stabbing Renly through the neck. Last week I liked the look of the 3D CGI shadow but just didn't feel right to me the way it swept in the door, stood behind him, screamed and then stabbed Renly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Frisbee wrote: »
    Renlys death not done so great. In the book I liked the idea of a shadow on the tent wall detatching itself from the rest and stabbing Renly through the neck. Last week I liked the look of the 3D CGI shadow but just didn't feel right to me the way it swept in the door, stood behind him, screamed and then stabbed Renly.

Yeah. I think Renly's death should have been at the end of last week's episode. Trim down the birthing sequence and cut to the tent. Then at the start of the next episode deal with the aftermath instead of the assassination being so brief.

I was thinking Renly's extra material was good for making him more relevant so that when he kicked the bucket it would be a bigger deal than it felt (for me) in the books but he still got taken out quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Wtf, They killed the tickler that's a major deviation from the book, Arya was supposed to kill him herself at the inn of the kneeling man sometime next season, its a pivotal point in the Arya story and one of my favourite chapters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

I wouldn't worry too much about that, arya kills about 300 people 1 less won't count! :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah but the tickler was interesting in the progression because she chose to kill him to save someone else, someone she had also vowed to kill in her prayer. I thought it was an interesting development for the character, I suppose raff the sweetling will fill that gap later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

loved the interchange between Tywin and Arya, the look he gives her when she responds that anyone can die :)

pwwillia wrote: »
    loved the interchange between Tywin and Arya, the look he gives her when she responds that anyone can die :)
    Anyone can be killed

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Wtf, They killed the tickler that's a major deviation from the book, Arya was supposed to kill him herself at the inn of the kneeling man sometime next season, its a pivotal point in the Arya story and one of my favourite chapters

yes quite true!!!! That answers my question as to why they didn't name him at all or include him in her prayer last week.

Edit: Also when she got needle back wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Also no mention of Tyrons chain. Should'nt he have all the smiths on the street of steel working on it by now?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Apart from Renlys and the Ticklers death the rest of the episode was mostly foundation work and story progression. Necessary i guess.

The Halfhand seem smaller and older than I'd imagined, looking forward to seeing Jon Snow seeing some action though it that'll probably take another 2 episodes.

Bran seems to have grown becoming Lord of Winterfell, good fair and loyal decision making yet no sign of Reek/Ramsey Snow either, i really hope they dont skip over that. Danys story is like watching paint dry but thats to be expected for this series. It was dissappointing not to see Theon ship attack the Stoney shore plus I'm getting really sick of Asha, I read her as a Sea Fairing Queen yet she comes across as a backbent Tomboy. I would hope Theon talking to himself would be enough to indicate to non-readers what he's actually planning to do.

A good decision to change the story slightly and have Tywin at Harrenhal (for now), Dance is great to see on screen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well Reek can't be in it yet, he's still Theon (I doubt they'll ever mention the previous Reek). And I don't think Ramsay appeared until he sacks Winterfell? I'd guess that would be either the end of this season or possibly into the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Really enjoyed this week's episode.

I loved the scenes beyond the wall, Dolorous Ed has some cracking one-liners. Can't wait to see all the wildlings and see how they work the
    Jon Snow/Ygritte storyline

Didn't think much of the scene where Renly got shadowed, but I'm really loving Brienne (she's probably my favourite character in the books). Gwendoline Christie is brilliant!

My favourite scene this week?... when Gendry had his top off... finally, some eye-candy for the ladies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

stevenmu wrote: »
    Well Reek can't be in it yet, he's still Theon (I doubt they'll ever mention the previous Reek). And I don't think Ramsay appeared until he sacks Winterfell? I'd guess that would be either the end of this season or possibly into the next.

The first Reek we meet in the books is Ramsay Bolton disguised. He is captured by Ser Rodrik and brought to be a prisoner at Winterfell. That should have happened by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

What was the point of the scene where Irri/Jhiqi get's in a big jealous huff at Dorreah? Completely pointless. They are cutting enough out of the show without adding in pointless shít like that tbh.

i guess we might get some middle of the night pleasure scenes sooner than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    The first Reek we meet in the books is Ramsay Bolton disguised. He is captured by Ser Rodrik and brought to be a prisoner at Winterfell. That should have happened by now.

Ah, didn't remember that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

donnacha wrote: »
    i guess we might get some middle of the night pleasure scenes sooner than expected.
    Doubtful, Emilia Clarke has apparently had her nudity clause removed from her contract for Season 2 :(

Boo!

I was looking forward to seeing her wear the traditional Qarth dress :-)

As for Reek, i was expecting to see him in last nights episode, when Bran was holding court. It was also interesting to see that he was having Jojens sea dream

Good episode, Jaqen Hghar (sp?) is an awesome character already. Was looking forward to those scenes the most.

Dany's story is pretty boring apart from the part where they wanted to cut up the golden peacock statue.
    Hopefully we'll see Theon reaving his way to the stony shore. I'm kinda glad they haven't introduced Reek/Ramsay as it'll only add more to the already clustered story, think about it we have Catelyn, Tyrion, Dany, Theon, Davos in different places there's no need to confuse the people who haven't read the books completely.

All in all it was a pretty cool episode.

They have ditched a fir few characters but Ramsay is integral to the later story. I'm still a. It annoyed at the lack of the reeds

Jaqen rocks tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

good episode IMO. I have decided to just watch the series as it is and forget my knowledge of the books for 2 reasons firstly I'm confusing myself on some of the issues and secondly the scrutinizing whats not in the book whats in the show is ruining my enjoyment of the series which is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭crank_1975

Have to say that I'm very dissappointed in this season, having read the books I probably have expectations that were never likely to be met by a 10 ep season but this is dragging along at a snails pace and is (almost) unwatchable. Even Peter Dinklage appears to be struggling. I'm gonna stick with it to the bitter end though.

Hopefully we'll see Theon reaving his way to the stony shore. I'm kinda glad they haven't introduced Reek/Ramsay as it'll only add more to the already clustered story, think about it we have Catelyn, Tyrion, Dany, Theon, Davos in different places there's no need to confuse the people who haven't read the books completely.

Theon has already raided the Stoney Shore, he's now in Torrin Square (briefly), they skipped over that scene, a scene that could have shown the verocity and cruelty of the Ironmen, hopefully we should see it later.

I disagree with regards Reek/Ramsay character, he most definetly should be included and I doubt it will be confusing, he's simply a prisoner in Winterfells dungeon whom Theon releases, plus Theon and Brans story arcs will have combined at that stage. It's the characters that makes these stories great and minor characters like Ramsey should be in there (the betrayal of House Bolton during the Winterfell Siege is a huge turning point in the series).

Only seen Pod Payne for one second in the 2nd Episode also, hope he comes into it more before the Battle of Blackwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Have to say that I'm very dissappointed in this season, having read the books I probably have expectations that were never likely to be met by a 10 ep season but this is dragging along at a snails pace and is (almost) unwatchable. Even Peter Dinklage appears to be struggling. I'm gonna stick with it to the bitter end though.

By contrast, I feel like they are absolutely flying through the story. We're talking about a massive amount of material, we really can't blame them for any vague pacing issues, that they are doing as well as they are is a miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Also no mention of Tyrons chain. Should'nt he have all the smiths on the street of steel working on it by now?.

I was wondering that too after watching it. I reckon they're not going to mention it at all and just have it happen so we're all like:

'ZOMFG Tyrion Joo R a L3G3ND!!!11! xxx'
    The Halfhand seem smaller and older than I'd imagined, looking forward to seeing Jon Snow seeing some action though it that'll probably take another 2 episodes.

I was expecting him to look something like a super grizzled version of Mormont for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I was wondering that too after watching it. I reckon they're not going to mention it at all and just have it happen so we're all like:

'ZOMFG Tyrion Joo R a L3G3ND!!!11! xxx'

This ^^^

Very slow ep I thought. I'm trying my best not to remember every detail from the books so that I can at least enjoy on it's own merits but even still it will be another 3 episodes until Blackwater. That seems too long. What else has to occur before all that?

Also anyone think they might set Ros up to be Alaya? They've built her character up a lot more than Alaya ever was so there would be some emotional payout. Plus the more ardent fans would be happy to be rid of her.
    They'd only need to include a throway scene of Tyrion meeting up with her and a wry smile and comment "back for another visit m'lord" before he passed through the brothel on his way to Shae.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

s.welstead wrote: »
    Very slow ep I thought. I'm trying my best not to remember every detail from the books so that I can at least enjoy on it's own merits but even still it will be another 3 episodes until Blackwater. That seems too long. What else has to occur before all that?
    I'll spoiler it in case you don't want to remember the full details, but between now and the end of CoK, we have:
    Theon capturing Winterfell, Bran and Rickon escaping, Ramsay taking Winterfell and burning it, Cat releasing Jaime, The House of Undying, Belwas and Barristan Selmy joining with Dany, Arya causing Harrenhal to switch sides and then escaping north, Kings Landing starving, Jon killing Halfhand and temporarily switching sides.
    That's what I can remember at least, though some of it may have happened just after Blackwater and there's probably some stuff I've forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Yeah but the tickler was interesting in the progression because she chose to kill him to save someone else, someone she had also vowed to kill in her prayer. I thought it was an interesting development for the character, I suppose raff the sweetling will fill that gap later on

thing i dont get is, in the books we're told where this prayer comes from, but i dont recall it happening in the TV show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Faolchu wrote: »
    thing i dont get is, in the books we're told where this prayer comes from, but i dont recall it happening in the TV show

It did. It was were Ayra had trouble sleeping and Yoren tells her about the prayer he used to say for the guy that killed his brother. I think it was in the second episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

rhonin wrote: »
    I think it was in the second episode.
    ah right must have missed that bit. I'll have to go back to check now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Faolchu wrote: »
    ah right must have missed that bit. I'll have to go back to check now

I think its the scene just before the men come looking for Gendry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Great episode, I have to say beefing up Bronn's role (Well I think they have beefed up his role a bit, correct me if I am wrong) was a great move. Some of his observations are class.

"This is a sh*t plan" when Tyrion is speaking to the Pyromancer.

Surprised there is no mention of the chain yet, but maybe that came later in the book, or they can just have the chain already in place, and just have Davos comment on it when leading the ships into the bay.

I don't remember the safe/vault that Xaro had from the book, is that a new addition?

Did ye glance over in the HAVE NOT READ the books threads at all? Funny, people pretending they have not read the books, making "predictions"....

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Did ye glance over in the HAVE NOT READ the books threads at all? Funny, people pretending they have not read the books, making "predictions"....

Yeah, "predicted" the Red Wedding, Jaqun was from Bravos, Mace's attack on the Wall and Jofferys marriage to M. Tyrell. Really horrible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Yeah, "predicted" the Red Wedding, Jaqun was from Bravos, Mace's attack on the Wall and Jofferys marriage to M. Tyrell. Really horrible thing to do.

Totally pointless.

Predicted the Red Wedding, hope the username wasn't Patchface!!!!

Theon has already raided the Stoney Shore, he's now in Torrin Square (briefly), they skipped over that scene, a scene that could have shown the verocity and cruelty of the Ironmen, hopefully we should see it later.

Yeah would have been nice to see them landing at night & doing some brutal raiding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Yeah, what a numpty.

Have to say I love the tv take on Harrenhal, so much better than what I ha in my head.

Books are better obviously as they had hold more info and include the little things.

At firstthought they were rushing through it but now think there doing a good job at squeezing it into 10 40 min episodes. :)

Advertisement