Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else freaking out about entering your late 20s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rhavin

I'm 24 and have been freaking out cause I've been turning grey since 21 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I´m going on 28. I felt old when I passed 25 for a few months...maybe a year. But nah doesn´t bother me now. Too busy enjoying life now. Age is a number. It only matters to me how good my life is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Dudess wrote: »
    No, why is that surprising? Sure I've gone through the "I wish I was xyz age" or "I can't believe I'm this age, I feel way younger" moments - but "freaked"? Absolutely not.

Well I don't mean freaked as in screaming and trying to shove a tv remote up your bum like the dude who had his games account closed :pac: But simply worried the odd time about if you will get everything you want done in life? I think that's natural to worry the odd time.
    I think the orderlies might think it's time for your meds if you start that malarkey.

That's another thing! What if you end up in a home? :eek: When we think of old folks now listening to Irish country music and wearing cardigans.... will the young ones of the future think we are uncool listening to some dance/rock artist we love from "back in the day". While also wearing some funny tshirt with Sheldon quotes on it :pac:
    By fook they better let me have headphones and access to youtube and help me with my typing :D
    I'll be bopping along to "smack my bitch up" right beside you tuds :D

That's the spirit!! :D Oh God that is an odd image though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Rhavin wrote: »
    I'm 24 and have been freaking out cause I've been turning grey since 21 :(
    Been getting them since I was 17. But it's easier for a girl, to be fair - assuming you're not a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Shatstand wrote: »
    I'm 27. I feel a growing sense of dread and bitter regretfulness, mainly because I've made a terrible mess of my life in several different areas.

Did you travel around a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

ToniTuddle wrote: »

That's another thing! What if you end up in a home? :eek:

I should be so lucky!

I can see the day where my kids will say 'Take that auld lad away. He's gone cracked.'

I'd say they'd be saying this to the Bin-men though.....

Cue Old Class being led out blinking into the light asking in a confused way 'Eh ....where are we going lads?'...........

They'd say, 'Your'e obselete & we can't get the parts anymore'.

So yer telling me I shouldn't bother popping out a few wanes? :pac:
    If I throw out a good few I might get lucky with one of them who will look after me in my old age :D

So yer telling me I shouldn't bother popping out a few wanes? :pac:
    If I throw out a good few I might get lucky with one of them who will look after me in my old age :D

Ah shure ya never know. Condition one of them to feel guilt all the time & then you might get looked after.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

whirlpool wrote: »
    Abi wrote: »
    So you wanted only mid twenties replies to agree with you saying how poxy it is?

Eh, no. When did I suggest that exactly? I asked if anyone else is hitting their mid twenties and dreading it... Have you got a specific problem with what I've asked that you'd like to share?

Let me refer you back your own post:
    No "Ah stop moaning, jesus, I'm nearly 40/60/102... blah blah blah" responses required.
    That is when you said it. Of course people older than you are going to tell you to get over it, there's nothing to fear. But you were dismissive from the start.

I'm immature because I preempted highly predictable replies and stated from the get-go that there was no need to reply with them?
    Ah, I see. So you're trolling then,

I don't see why you needed to introduce an attitude problem, to be quite honest.
    You cut out anyone's views but your own, so not only are you ageist, but you are the one with the attitude problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I always thought that by the time I'm the age I am now, that I'd have all the answers... turns out I've got more questions than ever:rolleyes:
    What I despise about getting older though is the pressure. It seems to grow and grow with age. Sometimes I really do think to myself wouldn't it be easier just to end it all and be done with it, but obviously that train of thought is no way to think. I hear your 30s are great on the bright side in all in anyways.

I found the opposite. In my 20's I felt under a lot of pressure. Mainly with life expectations concerning career and relationships. At one point I did actually try to end it all. As I got older I realised what a load of bollix life really was and learned how to live a stress free life. I realised that no matter what I did or didn't do made no difference to anything. We will all be dead in a few years anyway. I look forward to it. Life is not our natural state. We were lifeless for an infinity before we were born and will be lifeless for an infinity after we die. Once you except this and embrace it you will never worry about anything ever again, least of all getting older.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I'm 31. screw you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

btard wrote: »
    I found the opposite. In my 20's I felt under a lot of pressure. Mainly with life expectations concerning career and relationships. At one point I did actually try to end it all. As I got older I realised what a load of bollix life really was and learned how to live a stress free life. I realised that no matter what I did or didn't do made no difference to anything. We will all be dead in a few years anyway. I look forward to it. Life is not our natural state. We were lifeless for an infinity before we were born and will be lifeless for an infinity after we die. Once you except this and embrace it you will never worry about anything ever again, least of all getting older.
    That's genuinely very interesting. Something I've never even given a seconds thought to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Well I don't mean freaked as in screaming and trying to shove a tv remote up your bum like the dude who had his games account closed :pac:

Er.....

The older you get the less sh1te you take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Now at 26 I finally know but still have other things I want to do before getting into it. Like get two years done in Canada then two years in Oz, come back and do the 1 or 2 year course. Then go to England and get experience maybe even another country after that.

Two years in oz would be shocking waste of two years.
    Its a nice place but thats too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

In my late twenties (Ahh!!) and while I usually have an annual freak out in the week coming up to my birthday, thankfully it doesn't last too long. My main issue is I still feel like I'm waiting for my life to start, I don't feel my life has progressed in any way since my early/mid twenties. As another poster said about waiting for things to get better, I think I'm beginning to accept that this is it, this is my life.

I suppose the most significant thing about your late twenties, is that for a lot of people (not everyone, definitely not me) is its a time of major change. Its when a lot of your friends are getting into serious relationships, moving in together, having kids etc. and while it's great for them, if you're not at that stage it can make you panic that there's something wrong or you're been left behind.

I'm not sure if any of the above will ever happen for me, but as I tell myself life isn't a race, or a check list, you don't need to have checked all the boxes before a certain age to be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

What age are you supposedly an adult?
    I don't think it has hit me yet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

27 was a bit of a scary birthday alright, mainly coz it no longer really gives you the excuse of fobbing off your mistakes because 'ah, sure I was only 22/23/24/25/26...'

And people are getting married. What the hell is that all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Seems to be cool lately to say that you're getting old when you hit your mid twenties. I'm 32 and have this to say:

Cop on to yourself and your first world problems.

CavanCrew wrote: »

It would be helpful if you tell us the age you are now for a start.

Jeezus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Been getting them since I was 17. But it's easier for a girl, to be fair - assuming you're not a girl.

I think hair plays a central role in how happy one can feel about getting older.

I'd say I'd be very depressed if mine went for the birds.

I never had 'good hair', but at least mine is durable.

I'm a 43 yo bloke & still have my 'crap' hair. No baldness & very little 'snow on the roof'.

I'm a very happy Old Git really...:)
    I've got the snow on the roof. More noticablewhen it gets any length. Going grey since I was 17, i'm 32 now :(
    Still have all my hair though, so not worried. No baldness for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

CavanCrew wrote: »

33 thesedays imo. 26 in yesteryears.

howtomake wrote: »
    Er.....

The older you get the less sh1te you take.

:pac: This is what I was on about- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc
    Two years in oz would be shocking waste of two years.
    Its a nice place but thats too long...

Not at all! Plenty to see and do and also means I'll be nearer to my beloved New Zealand and can pop over and back there :)

Plus be fun to see if I can go 2 years without being bitten by some poisonous snake/insect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

quarter life crisis?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

I'm 36, and tbh the 30s have been the best decade so far. Over 20 so not a kid any more, more self confidence, hair ..... meh started to lose it at 15 (shave your head, then that's not a problem any more :D) and the ladies, oh the ladies ....... wouldn't be arsed in looking at an aulfella like me :D:D

No point in worrying about getting older (although I was a bit freaked at turning 30, until I did, then fnuk yeah!) it's gonna happen anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I recall when I was a teenager seeing an episode of "I Dream of Genie" (sitcom) where one of the characters was having a crisis as he was 29 about to turn 30.

That was 45 years ago.

Seems like yesterday! :cool:

That was 1967 when The Monkees were the s**t on TV (black & white of course); the Beatles produced Sgt Pepper, the Vietnam War was really getting serious Meath won an All-Ireland with Red Collier as their hero.

I spent that summer on a farm in west Wicklow where they has just got a television (having been electrified only 4 years earlier).

Back then age 30 seemed the distant future.

In the blink of an eye it is the distant past ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

One of cars is older than me. For that very reason, I don't feel old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Confab wrote: »
    Seems to be cool lately to say that you're getting old when you hit your mid twenties. I'm 32 and have this to say:

Oh come off it. I'm sick of that first world problem crap used to trivialize problems that people are having in this country. Believe it or not, not everyone's life in this country is rosy, just on account of the fact that they live in a relatively affluent part of the world.

Back to the point on hand, I think a big part of the malaise and quiet desperation that can often plague those in their twenties is the bewildering choices we're bombarded with everyday. Don't get me wrong, as a generation we've never had it better for the most part, but all these opportunities means that sacrifices will have to be made in some aspects of life.

As a result there's that constant voice in your head telling you, that no matter what choice you made, it would have been better to have done something else. If you decided to focus on your career you should have traveled more, or vice versa. Constant societal pressure on reaching milestones by a certain age does not help either.

As depressing as it may seem, I'm liking the attitude shown by some of the posters to stop worrying about life's foibles, since none of us are here very long. Just enjoy yourself and try to leave the world a little better than when you arrived! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Almost 27 here, and thinking of ending it all as there is no future in this country. I can't exist on what I earn here but in other countries doing the same job I can live like a king and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

Watch this music video OP, and see if you still feel like wasting your youth worrying that you're old. Every wrinkly, coughing, gummy, grumpy, pained, grey-haired, poor-eyesight, poor-hearing, inactive old person was once a 10 year old child, a 16 year old adolescent, a 25 year old adult... and you will end up EXACTLY like them.
    The old people you see walking on the street were your age in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's, taking their youth for granted, like you.
    They would give ANYTHING to go back to being 26 years old and have, probably, another 25 years of good physical health, agility, free from worry about disease and death etc.
    Imagine yourself on your deathbed (like you *ACTUALLY* will be one day) as an old man wishing you could go back and cherish your fit healthy body (or at least *potentially* fit and healthy body) and wishing you could relive life with the perspective you now have...
    oh wait, you ACTUALLY ARE just 26! Go on, enjoy yourself!

.... now if only I could apply perspective like this to my own life on an ongoing basis..!

also.. tone of this post seems like I'm giving out to you.. I'm not.. just emphasising things!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

yuppies wrote: »

The old people you see walking on the street were your age in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's, taking their youth for granted, like you.
    They would give ANYTHING to go back to being 26 years old

Hmmmm.......

Anything?...I think not! ;)

The key thing here is to realise that the instant you are dead, nothing matters.

Thus is if you are healthy & happy at 80 it's as good as being 26, forlorn or love-lost and having desperate hope that you'll be healthy and happy at 36!

It's all random - thus speaks the wisdom of age :cool:!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When I turned 20, I had my quarter life crisis, it was very traumatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

OP I feel your pain.

I turned 27 today and still feel like I am a young buck.

The best advice I can give you is to ignore what those around you are doing and take life at your own pace! Go travel and never forget that while growing old is inevitable……Growing Up is optional.

Stay young at heart and you'll be okay. No need to worry if people around you are getting mortgages / married……. That’s their life……You do your thing and you'll be fine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

dave3004 wrote: »
    OP I feel your pain.

I turned 27 today and still feel like I am a young buck.

The best advice I can give you is to ignore what those around you are doing and take life at your own pace! Go travel and never forget that while growing old is inevitable……Growing Up is optional.

Stay young at heart and you'll be okay. No need to worry if people around you are getting mortgages / married……. That’s their life……You do your thing and you'll be fine !

+1 there :)

And Happy bday btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

There is some amount of bitter, nasty (probably sex-starved) bullies on boards.ie.

Including in this thread. I assume you know who you are because there's no way in hell that I'm the first person to point it out to you. Well at least you guys have each other! To thank each other's nasty threads, and such.

Anyway, yeah. Getting older! Woo! There should be, like, some sort of annual celebration or something, to mark the occasion of being a year older.

growing old is inevitable……Growing Up is optional.

:cool:

Excellent. I've heard this before but never really felt it applied to me before. I'm going to apply the f*ck out of it to myself from now on!

Oh and happy birthday! :D

John Doe1 wrote: »
    quarter life crisis?;)

I've been calling it more a "third life crisis" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Glad I could help !

Thanks for the bday wishes.

Confab wrote: »

Nobody said it was a problem. *roll eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Go travel and never forget that while growing old is inevitable……Growing Up is optional.
    :cool:

Excellent. I've heard this before but never really felt it applied to me before. I'm going to apply the f*ck out of it to myself from now on!
    There is some amount of bitter, nasty (probably sex-starved) bullies on boards.ie.

Including in this thread. I assume you know who you are because there's no way in hell that I'm the first person to point it out to you. Well at least you guys have each other! To thank each other's nasty threads, and such.

Well, it certainly seems as though you've managed to avoid the "growing up" part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Nobody said it was a problem. *roll eyes.

No need for that. Not Confab's fault he has two lazy eyes.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, it certainly seems as though you've managed to avoid the "growing up" part...

Because I don't find the needless bad attitudes of message boards users entertaining? Interesting.

Because I don't find the needless bad attitudes of message boards users entertaining? Interesting.

Could you perhaps provide a clear example of these "bad attitudes"?

growing old is inevitable……Growing Up is optional.

I'm definitely using this motto! Happy Birthday :)

Ficheall wrote: »
    Could you perhaps provide a clear example of these "bad attitudes"?

Yes. This entirely unnecessary swipe that was taken: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78409454&postcount=45

...and the people who thanked it, thus agreeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol. Object to apparent bullying by throwing out insults! :D
    How are they bitter btw? All that seems to bother you is that they don't share your view. And is it not kinda reassuring that people say it's nothing to worry about? Or would you rather just be negative over something you can't control instead of making the best of it?
    Anyway, yeah. Getting older! Woo! There should be, like, some sort of annual celebration or something, to mark the occasion of being a year older.
    Just because people say it's nothing to be freaked about doesn't mean they think it's brilliant.

Lol. Object to apparent bullying by throwing out insults! :D

Not insults. Merely a likely description of them.

All that seems to bother you is that they don't share your view.

No, that doesn't bother me at all. Where exactly are you getting that from? My issue was an underhanded comment about my maturity, which was totally unnecessary - a pretty ironic comment, actually.

And my initial point was that I didn't want people responding by telling other people they have no right to say they're not happy with getting older, just because the person replying is older than them. Those kinds of responses are nothing less than condescending and patronising.

And I assume they're bitter because I can't think of any other reason someone would take an unnecessary swipe at someone.
    And is it not kinda reassuring that people say it's nothing to worry about? Or would you rather just be negative over something you can't control instead of making the best of it?

Eh, I'm not being negative. This was meant to be a light-hearted discussion about the extremely common concern about getting older. Nobody likes to be told their concerns are stupid, for want of a better word.
    Just because people say it's nothing to be freaked about doesn't mean they think it's brilliant.

I never suggested that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I've got socks older than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

And more mature.

Johro wrote: »
    And more mature.

Fantastic. Well done.

• Advertisement

Yes. This entirely unnecessary swipe that was taken: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78409454&postcount=45

...and the people who thanked it, thus agreeing.

Should it not bother you more that you have proven Abi completely correct in her assessment of your maturity level?

Advertisement