Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else freaking out about entering your late 20s?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Ficheall wrote: »
    Should it not bother you more that you have proven Abi completely correct in her assessment of your maturity level?

At this stage I'm fairly certain you're just looking for "thanks" for your posts, so I'm gonna just leave you to it, if that's what you enjoy.

Internet bullies are fantastically admirable. And it's okay because it's the internet. Good work. Don't forget to thank each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

hate when this happens in threads.....

It's Boards's achilles heel !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

dave3004 wrote: »
    hate when this happens in threads.....

It's Boards's achilles heel !

Unfortunately, the internet is where millions of people come to look down on others. And if you don't join them, you get trampled. I'd rather get trampled than join them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

whirlpool wrote: »
    Fantastic. Well done.
    Well.... You're posting in AH. You got kinda serious after what you say was a lighthearted original question, I mean, there's bound to be posts ya don't like.
    'Anyone else freaking out?' might be closer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You can't stop people from giving replies you don't want. When I turned 20 I wasn't happy about it - thought it was a really grown-up age (lol) and felt too young for it. I made the error of communicating this to my 81-year-old gran. :pac:
    She obviously told me to cop on and have perspective - and that stuck with me. Good advice. No matter how freaked you get, it will never be bad - the build-up is so slow (not like this sudden catastrophic event your mind seems to tell you it will be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I think I felt like I was sixteen all through my twenties, and I haven't moved on much from there since tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

At this stage I'm fairly certain you're just looking for "thanks" for your posts, so I'm gonna just leave you to it, if that's what you enjoy.

Internet bullies are fantastically admirable. And it's okay because it's the internet. Good work. Don't forget to thank each other.

If I were looking for "thanks", there are far easier ways to go about it. Nice subtle avoidance though.
    Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them an "internet bully".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I turned 21 on Wednesday. I feel sickeningly old. :( It won't be long until I go senile, rotting my last days away in a nursing home, living off the grandchildren, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

**** my teeth feel in the jacks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Pedant wrote: »
    I turned 21 on Wednesday. I feel sickeningly old. :( It won't be long until I go senile, rotting my last days away in a nursing home, living off the grandchildren, etc..

You already have grandchildren at 21?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

You already have grandchildren at 21?

Yes. Father at 10, grandfather at 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Dunno about others but I've only been feeling younger each passing year since the bodyshock of adolescence. it's a dramatic leap I such a short space of time, and a lot of pressures at that point in one's young life so stick around guys. Age is just a number, and you are older than me. at 34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Ok. So there's 11 pages of replies that I haven't read. But I will. But first this - I'm hitting fukin 35 never mind 25. So quit with that winge.

Plus there's another thread there talking about middle aged women - referring to late 30s as middle age. Like, wtf? When the fuk did being 35 ever constitute being middle aged?

*away off to rant in middle age thread*

Happy birthday op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

i did find turning 30 a bit daunting in the months approaching it, but I was older then - it all peters out after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

There is some amount of bitter, nasty (probably sex-starved) bullies on boards.ie.

Including in this thread. I assume you know who you are because there's no way in hell that I'm the first person to point it out to you. Well at least you guys have each other! To thank each other's nasty threads, and such.

Anyway, yeah. Getting older! Woo! There should be, like, some sort of annual celebration or something, to mark the occasion of being a year older.

You sound, like, pretty young to me, so I wouldn't worry about, like, getting old and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wish I were in denial like Dudess. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I'm at the age now, where the only thing that I'm freaking out about entering, is a bleedin' hospice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm at the age now where the only thing I could do that would make people say 'wow, he's young to be doing that' is die.

Or if I became president, though I think that is pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Dudess are you so opinionated in real life too? I'm not try to be a smart arse here or anything it's just you always seem to have a very definite opinion about everything. You seem to see the world in black and white where as I know myself I tend to see an awful lot of grey. Honestly not having a go, just one bears observation

Well you would at your age :pac:.

Serious answer to OP:

Every birthday is another milestone in the weary march towards the sweet release of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

As they say, up until your mid thirties you have the face you were born with. After that you get the face you deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Unfortunately, the internet is where millions of people come to look down on others. And if you don't join them, you get trampled. I'd rather get trampled than join them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

im 30 in june i feel like 50,kids really do end your life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

22 in August. OH is 24 in Feb. Im content. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

luckyfrank wrote: »
    im 30 in june i feel like 50,kids really do end your life :)

You should head over to the parenting forum and post that. They love that over there.

kids age you more than anything else

thank post if true

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

When I was in my teens my late twenties was meant to be that time in my life where I would have a career, begin to settle down, get married, start planning/having kids. Now that it's only a few years away.. I can think of nothing worse.

Denise90 wrote: »
    When I was in my teens my late twenties was meant to be that time in my life where I would have a career, begin to settle down, get married, start planning/having kids. Now that it's only a few years away.. I can think of nothing worse.
    dont have kids

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

I'll take your advice and run with it

Denise90 wrote: »
    I'll take your advice and run with it

best 5 mins you just spent on the t'internet just there, once you have them you'd die for them, but as i say to the moth, what you dont know cant hurt you i love my kids more than life but if id known then what i know now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Bit of a dick, arent ya frank?

Dunny! wrote: »
    ye reckin

Dunny! wrote: »
    Dunny !!!

you do know your username is australian for sh/ithole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I think one of the reasons behind this fear of getting older is some people have a vague idea in their sub conscious that life will get good some point in the future. Then as each year passes the realisation starts to set in that " this is it" as they never reach that point in the future that is so good.
    I think one of the reasons behind this fear of getting older is some people have a vague idea in their sub conscious that life will get good some point in the future. Then as each year passes the realisation starts to set in that " this is it" as they never reach that point in the future that is so good.

I guess I am afraid of alzheimers.... :pac:

I'm about to officially turn late 20's in 11 days. The big 27. It does seem like it came a little out of nowhere and I don't think I look nor act my age but it is what it is.

As for expectations, I had none. I spent my early 20's in a job learning a lot and mostly enjoying it. 3 months ago I quit that job and moved out to Oz with the intention to save and travel the world. Maybe I did it backwards but I'm loving it and don't plan on "settling down" any time soon, if ever. I do want kids though so maybe I'll get all responsible at some point. Won't have anything to do with age though, just where I am in life. Some people hit that early, some not at all. I do kind of look forward to playing with my kids toys some day...

what creeps me out is, my da says when he looks in mirror he see's and old man yet he doesnt feel the way he looks, he said he still fels like a 20 year old i find that uncomforting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

**** me, what a way to start Monday morning, reading that. Jesus hand me the rope.

• Advertisement

26 is mid 20s not late 20s

also get some perspective and cop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This thread has depressed me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Meh, being young is overrated.

I'm nearly 27, I'm still a young-un plus I still got my 30's to make a disgrace of myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

NothingMan wrote: »
    I guess I am afraid of alzheimers.... :pac:

I'm about to officially turn late 20's in 11 days. The big 27. It does seem like it came a little out of nowhere and I don't think I look nor act my age but it is what it is.

As for expectations, I had none. I spent my early 20's in a job learning a lot and mostly enjoying it. 3 months ago I quit that job and moved out to Oz with the intention to save and travel the world. Maybe I did it backwards but I'm loving it and don't plan on "settling down" any time soon, if ever. I do want kids though so maybe I'll get all responsible at some point. Won't have anything to do with age though, just where I am in life. Some people hit that early, some not at all. I do kind of look forward to playing with my kids toys some day...

I did it backwards too! I'm 26, got my education and the sh*tty start off work experience and I've saved like mad for over a year, so now it's the good life for me for a while before I start getting proper jobs with resposibility. Settling down? I don't want a house (who does nowadays?) and I remember myself as a child and I'll be f***ed if I'm getting stuck with some brat at 26, so I'll be avoiding that hail of bullets for another 10 years if possible. I'm off to tour South American beaches for a few months and then I'm off to Oz to work in a vineyard for a few months to get a pasty tan and work off the debts and the bigger beer gut I'll accrue in three months drinking in SA :D Mid 20s is the job!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

You arnt getting old until you go into a night club and realize your one of the oldest people in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Turning 27 was the worst - just turned 29 - most of my family forgot about my birthday and I didnt really give a toss about it either so that tells allot. I still consider myself a child tho - but I truly an honestly now cannot understand teen txt speak - It's just stupid! Am I getting old??? No - It is the Children who are wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I loved my late 20's, i was still getting asked for ID.

Im now 31 almost 32, still young! What im looking forward to is my 40s... kids will be grown up, when im 44 all my kids will be over 18 and i can go travel the world...

I Truly understand the reasoning of the saying 'life begins at 40'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Fracture wrote: »
    You arnt getting old until you go into a night club and realize your one of the oldest people in there.

No, you arnt getting old until you are refused entry to a nightclub because they won't allow people to carry weapons (walking sticks) in :D

Fracture wrote: »

>.<

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Confab wrote: »
    Seems to be cool lately to say that you're getting old when you hit your mid twenties. I'm 32 and have this to say:

Cop on to yourself and your first world problems.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13452711 <-- Hmm, I wonder if they freak out?

In answer to the OP's post: I'm 28 and after a life time of waiting for life to begin, I am only just waking up to the fact that I have to grab it by the balls and ride it for all it's worth, so no, I am not freaking out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

this tread is an insult to anyone over 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

NothingMan wrote: »
    I'm about to officially turn late 20's in 11 days. The big 27. It does seem like it came a little out of nowhere and I don't think I look nor act my age but it is what it is

You? 27? :eek:

Sure you look like a wane!! :p Seriously thought you were way younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    You? 27? :eek:

Sure you look like a wane!! :p Seriously thought you were way younger.

I know. Don't look a day over 19..... <_< 27 doesn't match the face I see in the mirror or the "that's what she said" jokes but sure age is a state of mind, and my mind will never be old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

HAKUNA MATATA

• Advertisement
Advertisement