Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serequel

Options
  • 29-04-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone take this medication for Anxiety or Bipolar Disorder:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Hi,
    Ive been taking effexor for the last 12 years and on 2 occasions I was also prescribed seroquel for what I can only describe as persistent negative thoughts, the seroquel knocked me for six- it made me very tired/sleepy it did help get rid of the issue at hand though.

For me I couldnt imagine taking the seroquel long term because of the tiredness.
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was prescribed it a few times when I was self harming quite a lot,think it was given to me just to sedate me,which it did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Hi OP,

I take a small dose on a regular basis for anxiety and find it great. Until earlier in the year, I was taking valium and zimovane(a sleeper) but it really wasn't working for me. Felt all over the place, and just couldn't settle on a dose. Was in hospital and my consultant just said no benzos or sleepers and thats the end of it! I cursed him for ages but he did me a huge favour.
    at the moment, I take a dose at around 7pm. Sometimes I'm asleep very early but I sleep well! Seems to be helping to balance out the emotions.

The only downsides are sedation and weightgain. My appetite is HUGE! But I've recently been dealing with this by keeping no junk food at all in the house and having plenty of fruit on hand. The sedation for me has worn off a fair bit and now its more a case of feeling relaxed rather than sedated. Still wouldn't work or drive after taking it though.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

I'm on 500mg for mania and depression, it's working very well for me but it knocks me on my ass when I take it at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whymewhy1982

I have bipolar. When I left hospital last November I was on 700mg Serequel. For the previous 7 years I was on Zeiprexcia (sic). I found the Serequel to be a huge improvement. My mood is alot more stable - I still struggle at times with negative thoughts and ruminating but I am learning to get through this. Since November my doctor has been slowly reducing the dosage - at the moment I'm on 550mg and he wants to get me down to 400mg - mainly for weight loss, plus he said the less I am on, will have less effect on my heart. (He now wants me to get an ECG for my heart every year.) (This must be due the Serequel as he never asked me to do this before.)

Like with the other posts, there can be problems with appeitite/weight gain but I have found I am losing weight lately because my mood is more stable. As I am generally feeling better, I am more active and I exercise more. I therefore find I don't comfort eat as much. In addition Serequel does make you drowsey so make sure you take it at the right time. I find if I take it at about 9pm, in bed by 11.30pm, I am fast asleep by midnight. I find my sleep pattern has improved and I am getting a great night's sleep. Makes a big difference. Good sleep is so important.

When I was in hospital recently some people were on this drug too. Most of didn't like it. Why? Weight gain and they found the drug to be too heavy. For me I am more use to the 'heavier' drugs. I don't work and I am home all day. So no stress/pressure. So if I have a bad day I lock the front door and don't go out. I don't know what Serequel is like under normal circumstances but *BIG HOPE* that at last this is the right drug for me. It has only taken 12 years. (I am also on Lithium and Epilium for my bipolar.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

I have bipolar. When I left hospital last November I was on 700mg Serequel. For the previous 7 years I was on Zeiprexcia (sic). I found the Serequel to be a huge improvement. My mood is alot more stable - I still struggle at times with negative thoughts and ruminating but I am learning to get through this. Since November my doctor has been slowly reducing the dosage - at the moment I'm on 550mg and he wants to get me down to 400mg - mainly for weight loss, plus he said the less I am on, will have less effect on my heart. (He now wants me to get an ECG for my heart every year.) (This must be due the Serequel as he never asked me to do this before.)I am now currently being taken of serequel as a recent ECG showed an irregular heart rhythmn i was on 275mg doc reduced me to 150mg and i had another ECG done and the heart was back to normal so we knew it was the serequel causing it however still getting the flutters in the chest, now currently on 100mg at night and hate the withdrawal symptoms have another week to go to get of the 100mg am just using diazepam for the withdrawal effects,

Like with the other posts, there can be problems with appeitite/weight gain but I have found I am losing weight lately because my mood is more stable. As I am generally feeling better, I am more active and I exercise more. I therefore find I don't comfort eat as much. In addition Serequel does make you drowsey so make sure you take it at the right time. I find if I take it at about 9pm, in bed by 11.30pm, I am fast asleep by midnight. I find my sleep pattern has improved and I am getting a great night's sleep. Makes a big difference. Good sleep is so important.

When I was in hospital recently some people were on this drug too. Most of didn't like it. Why? Weight gain and they found the drug to be too heavy. For me I am more use to the 'heavier' drugs. I don't work and I am home all day. So no stress/pressure. So if I have a bad day I lock the front door and don't go out. I don't know what Serequel is like under normal circumstances but *BIG HOPE* that at last this is the right drug for me. It has only taken 12 years. (I am also on Lithium and Epilium for my bipolar.)
    I am now currently being taken of serequel as a recent ECG showed an irregular heart rhythmn i was on 275mg doc reduced me to 150mg and i had another ECG done and the heart was back to normal so we knew it was the serequel causing it however still getting the flutters in the chest, now currently on 100mg at night and hate the withdrawal symptoms have another week to go to get of the 100mg am just using diazepam for the withdrawal effects,did you have heart flutters or palpitations and thats why they have requested and ECG

pejay wrote: »
    I am now currently being taken of serequel as a recent ECG showed an irregular heart rhythmn i was on 275mg doc reduced me to 150mg and i had another ECG done and the heart was back to normal so we knew it was the serequel causing it however still getting the flutters in the chest, now currently on 100mg at night and hate the withdrawal symptoms have another week to go to get of the 100mg am just using diazepam for the withdrawal effects,did you have heart flutters or palpitations and thats why they have requested and ECG

Well, it was at the end of my consultation with my doctor 2 weeks ago and he was telling me his plan to reduce my Serequel. I asked him why the reduction? Personally I am very reluctant to reduce a med if I am doing OK on it. My doctor talked about weight loss, cardiac implications and "the fewer drugs in your system the better." I don't have any heart problems I am aware of at the moment. I have been exercising alot lately (long walks - up to 2 hours) as I have put on alot of weight due previous meds. So my doctor reckons if I can walk that long, my heart should be OK. Though he did suggest I get an ECG at least once a year. (Due to my weight, I would say.) He also said that with the other drugs I am on, they should compensate for the reduction in the Serequel.

Overall I find Serequel is working well for me. For the first time in years my mood is fairly balanced. I am optimistic about the future for a change.

yeah the weight gain is a huge problem for me i am nearly of the serequel now down to 75mg and to say the last few days have been rough, vomiting etc i am going to try a new drug called Abilify.

The fact you are walking that far is great and no would not say there is any thing wrong with your heart, mine was perfect also until the doc increased the serequel then the irregular heart rhythmn started since came down to lower dose its normal now, once drugs like that affect your heart they have to take you of them and my doc told me serequel and the family it belongs to have a tendacy to cause heart problems maybe thats why your doc just wants to check.

Did you get bloods done recently has i found my cholestral went up and tryglicerides again another side effect of this med that can lead to heart disease.

But hey if you are feeling great and mood alot better then brilliant go with it i am sure your doc will look after you :D

Well, it was at the end of my consultation with my doctor 2 weeks ago and he was telling me his plan to reduce my Serequel. I asked him why the reduction? Personally I am very reluctant to reduce a med if I am doing OK on it. My doctor talked about weight loss, cardiac implications and "the fewer drugs in your system the better." I don't have any heart problems I am aware of at the moment. I have been exercising alot lately (long walks - up to 2 hours) as I have put on alot of weight due previous meds. So my doctor reckons if I can walk that long, my heart should be OK. Though he did suggest I get an ECG at least once a year. (Due to my weight, I would say.) He also said that with the other drugs I am on, they should compensate for the reduction in the Serequel.

Overall I find Serequel is working well for me. For the first time in years my mood is fairly balanced. I am optimistic about the future for a change.
    Did you put on the weight with the serequel may i ask

Did you get bloods done recently has i found my cholestral went up and tryglicerides again another side effect of this med that can lead to heart disease.

I normally get my bloods taken every 3 months. (I am changing GP at the moment so I'm waiting for my new medical card to come through before I get my bloods done again.)

Anytime I got the results I was told I was 'borderline' in some areas. I always get mixed up with the different tests - basically I was told due to my weight/diet, diabetes could be a problem - so I was told to exercise more, eat more of the 5-a-day and improve my diet/nutrition.

The main reason I had these problems was the previous med I was on, Zyprexcia (sp). On this drug my mood was unstable so I would comfort eat, plus the Zyprexcia increased my appetite. Piled the weight on. I now realise that drug is 'nasty' and I rather stupidly stayed on it cause it kept me out of hospital. I was on it for 7 years. Bad mistake.
    Did you put on the weight with the serequel may i ask

Appetite wise, I find Serequel has supressed/decreased it better compared to Zyprexcia. I have been on Serequel for 7 months. For the first 5, I was finding my 'feet' and in that time I didn't put on any weight. Over the last 2 months I have lost over 1 stone - mainly cause I increased my exercise and I have cut back on my food. I have started to eat alot better too. With the Serequel my mood is balanced for the time in years. Because of that I feel alot stronger mentally and I am working through alot of my issues/bad memories logically. So as I am feeling better, I know I have to do something about my weight as down the line I could have serious problems.

In saying all that, recently I had a one bad day which led me to have a 'rough' patch for 10 days. I did not feel good. So even though I have been doing very well, I couldn't see the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. So what did I do? I don't drink much or smoke so I started to comfort eat again. In that 10 days I put back on a couple of Ibs.

So overall with Serequel I am feeling better and this does help to manage my diet/weight better and I can lose weight. But if I have a rough patch => increased appetite => comfort eating => weight gain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement