Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for old photos of the village at Cardiffsbridge

Options
  • 29-04-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I am looking for any old photos of the village in cardiffsbridge at the tolka river. Has anyone got any they could put up or suggest somewhere I could source some.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I think there's an exhibition up at charlestown SC with some old photos. There was supposedly 18 cottages there, a mill running off the tolka and donkey stables.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'd love to see a pic of that area too..particularly Streamount House if any pics exist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think there's an exhibition up at charlestown SC with some old photos. There was supposedly 18 cottages there, a mill running off the tolka and donkey stables.

Ran by TAP (Tolka Area Partnership), there may be some old ones, but the exhibition was displayed in the offices of Dublin City Council a few weeks back and i only noticed a few.

Might be worth a look though and then get in touch with the photo owner in order to buy a copy, but IIRC, the display is of photos taken by participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

here's one...

6454c.jpg

Here's an overview map, I don't know the years of the photo or the map though, on a similar note, does anyone know the history of the Jolly Toper public house on the map?

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,712205,737820,7,9

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies for the poor quality but here's a pic of Cardiffsbridge House - once residence of the Seagraves and later Newmans.

(There was an iron foundry in the Cardiffsbridge area in the 1700's.)

045.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

where was the house?

In another thread fairly recently, someone posted a picture of Cardiffs Bridge itself, which seemed to be painted from the perspective of one of the apartments overlooking the Tolka at the River Road junction.

If no-one else posts it in the meantime, I've got it saved on my computer at home.

Good to see you back in action Degsy, keep your nose clean won't you :p;)

Actually, I believe the link is in this post, but can't access it in work.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75066030&postcount=20

Des wrote: »
    where was the house?

It looks like its on the hill heading towards Cabra..an area that is being cleared at the moment and has had railings round it for ages...up the road from the ashtown apartments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wow - I never knew that there was a small village (a hamlet really) at Cardiffsbridge. When would it have been demolished?

Finglas South including the Tolka Valley Road was developed in the late 1960s/early 1970s but the Ratoath Road at Cardiffsbridge itself was realigned with a new bridge over the Tolka around 1979/80 if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for posting up the old photos and maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Wow - I never knew that there was a small village (a hamlet really) at Cardiffsbridge. When would it have been demolished?

Absolutely love that photograph. Oh, to have a time machine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

ollaetta wrote: »
    Absolutely love that photograph. Oh, to have a time machine!!

It's a really idyllic looking scene, and great to see that the old bridge is still threre, as JupiterKid said, the road has been re-aligned so at least the bridge isn't being ruined by heavy traffic, hmmm I'm tempted to jump on the bike now and have a look around and see what's left in the photo.

vektarman wrote: »
    It's a really idyllic looking scene, and great to see that the old bridge is still threre, as JupiterKid said, the road has been re-aligned so at least the bridge isn't being ruined by heavy traffic, hmmm I'm tempted to jump on the bike now and have a look around and see what's left in the photo.

literally just the bridge left and all the new park works. Found a pic here I took at the end of last year, you can see the bridge wall middle left of the picture and scribblestown lane middle right.

302913_206633309399185_168157473246769_588202_602243794_n.jpg

On the bright side they did power wash the stone work on the bridge and re-tarmac it so the bridge itself looks ok. A couple of islands were allowed to deposit under the bridge over the past 15 years or so which takes away from the big open pool area that use to be there when I was a kid.

There are no signs left of the old settlements, but still some wall ruins of cottages and a mill and of course the castle and stables further up the park and on the private side not under construction. On the private side you can still see cottage walls, building foot prints and even boundary hedging if you look very closlely. All very much away from the cardiffsbridge settlement picture area though. I'd imagine the last of the old ruined walls in the park area will be gone very soon (on the river road side, very close to the river ner the back of the flower house).

I must get pics of all the old footprints and post them, including the grave of a grand national winning horse if I can find the spot again. The landscape has changed a bit though so will be tough to find.

Most (practically all) of the physical evidence of settlement is not in the park area though as it has been well and truely airbrushed from the landscape at this stage.

A few of us locals should go on a field trip to investigate!

Degsy wrote: »
    A few of us locals should go on a field trip to investigate!

I was just actually pondering gathering up info and old photos and doing up a website and taking photos of the still existing ruins today. Could do an interactive google map too, pin pointing photos on the map. Most of what I know is still physically there is in the back fields from dunsink down to the tolka. Most of what was in the new park area is all but gone at this stage.

It would be an interesting summer project alright.

I was just actually pondering gathering up info and old photos and doing up a website and taking photos of the still existing ruins today. Could do an interactive google map too, pin pointing photos on the map. Most of what I know is still physically there is in the back fields from dunsink down to the tolka. Most of what was in the new park area is all but gone at this stage.

It would be an interesting summer project alright.

I only live round the corner and i know our moderator friend des would be happy to provide refereshments afterwards.

Degsy wrote: »
    I only live round the corner and i know our moderator friend des would be happy to provide refereshments afterwards.

Might want to run it by the wife!

Des wrote: »
    Might want to run it by the wife!

400_F_36177108_3KeNWEz5NQV8t4muqGYXgikE6T9tZBDS.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think the area to the west of the old Cardiffs bridge is being turned into a park. When I was a kid back in the 80s there was a huge traveller encampment there.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think the area to the west of the old Cardiffs bridge is being turned into a park. When I was a kid back in the 80s there was a huge traveller encampment there.

that work is nearly finished.

The travellers live further down the Rathoath Road, towards Cappagh, on Dunsink Lane

Advertisement