Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second dog dominance

• 29-04-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a wire hair fox terrier male he's 16 months old, yesterday I got his brother from an old man that bought him but couldn't exercise him enough so had to give him up. I decided that it would be good company for the one I have and I had said I'd like another one. Since I brought the new fella in they have both been humping and snarling at each other. I was just wondering if this will go on time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

Bring them for lots of walks together and get rid of their energy.
    Maybe they will bond.Maybe neuter them?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

if you google on line about dog behaviour: what may seem to us a vicious is just dogs playing, play fighting. Even snarling, and showing teeth.
    if they really wanted to hurt each other they would, but they dont. Some of it is deciding whose boss, like one placing its paw on the other, but its only natural.
    Walking dogs together helps them bond as a pack.

My JRT and wire haired 'border' terrier appear to fight like mad, the JRT makes awful vicious noises at times. But its all part of their play and normal interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Thanks for your advice people, have brought them on walks etc, had them out for a good walk tonight but it started to get real nasty when I got back. The dog I have had from the start is now fighting with the other dog over toys to the point he locked onto him. I stepped in and tried to check them both and ended up bitten twice myself. The mood hasn't been great at all between them. I feel so bad now that I have upset to dogs for no reason by bring them back together. They are both due to get the snip tomorrow but I'm really unsure if keeping the new fella is the right thing to do. I can't trust them alone as I'm so worried they will fight and leave each other in a heap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, dogs that have only lived in the same house for 2 days should not have access to toys when they are in the same room. Separate the dogs and re-introduce them properly from scratch. You will need one person per dog to start with. Do not have either dog neutered until both have been properly introduced and the new dog is completely settled in. You should only have the least dominant dog neutered and there is no way you tell which one this is at this early stage. As far as the new dog is concerned both you and your current dog are complete strangers to him. You'll need to spend a lot of one on one time with each dog and let the newcomer get to know and trust you before you can do anything else. Also read my post on this thread.

If your getting nowhere after a month then get help from a qualified behaviourist.

Advertisement