Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do the actors read the books?

• 29-04-2012 9:01pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if many of the actors are reading the books? After all it'd give them a good idea how long their contract might last, not to mention the knowledge that a bit part in one season might be expanded later on.

I mean we all know one actor from the first series who'd have thought "Ah bo**cks" if they read the book when they auditioned but there are/may be others who would find the same if they leafed through all five books.

I know only that Peter Dinklage has read the first book and not beyond that (to George R.R. Martin's disappointment) but what of others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

As far as i know

Kristan Nairn(Hodor) read the first book but gave up on the second one.
    Maisie Williams(Arya) Her parents read the books
    John Bradley(Sam) reads them
    Eugene Simon(Lancel) reads them
    Kit Harrington(Jon Snow) reads them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Son0vagun wrote: »
    As far as i know

Kristan Nairn(Hodor) read the first book but gave up on the second one.
    Maisie Williams(Arya) Her parents read the books
    John Bradley(Sam) reads them
    Eugene Simon(Lancel) reads them
    Kit Harrington(Jon Snow) reads them

Seen she said that alright. Parents fill her in on the left out bits then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) has read them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

To be fair, Dinklage said he liked the first book but didn't want to continue reading in case knowing what Tyrion's future held would colour his portrayal of him. I can see his point that knowing what happens far into a character's future might make you act things that aren't yet there in that character's arc / emotional development in earlier parts of the story.

It seems it helps his acting process, and given that he just won an Emmy for it, who are we to argue with his methods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Sleepy wrote: »
    To be fair, Dinklage said he liked the first book but didn't want to continue reading in case knowing what Tyrion's future held would colour his portrayal of him. I can see his point that knowing what happens far into a character's future might make you act things that aren't yet there in that character's arc / emotional development in earlier parts of the story.

It seems it helps his acting process, and given that he just won an Emmy for it, who are we to argue with his methods?
    Indeed. In the Reddit AMA, the guy who plays Syrio was asked that and said much the same:
    Were you made to read book 1? And for that matter, were actors potraying characters spanning many of the books told to go the the series?
    [–]miltosyerolemou 184 points 14 days ago
    no. a lot of actors don't read the books because they believe the book is the book and the script is different. if you know too much what happens to your character then many actors think it influences their responses even subconsciously. so many like to play it moment to moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Blowfish wrote: »
    Indeed. In the Reddit AMA, the guy who plays Syrio was asked that and said much the same:

While that quote is true to some degree, it's also an excuse used by lazy actors. If you are playing a movie or tv role based on a book, to not read it is lazy and you are not doing yourself, your audience, and your craft any justice.

I can respect Dinklage's position and do hope he reads the second book when this season is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Slightly OT but the guy who plays theon greyjoy is Alfie Allen, Lilly Allen's younger brother, who she sings about in this video;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Haha that puppet bears a striking resemblance alright. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

It appears Gwendoline Christie read them.

From Wikipedia
    Christie said that she could draw on her own experiences of having been bullied for her height and androgynous looks to play the part of Brienne, a role that she was passionate to obtain after reading the A Song of Ice and Fire novels which the show adapts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

It depends on the type of actor I presume, the more method actor may do a great deal of research for the roll and so read the book while the old pro actor might just go to Ladbrokes or the pub in between filming and still deliver an award winning turn.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I heard Cersei didn't bother reading any of the,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Charles Dance hasn't read them, far too big for him, as per spoilerific thronecast on youtube.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Charles Dance hasn't read them, far too big for him, as per spoilerific thronecast on youtube.

That' surprising, he really nailed Tywin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jayteecork wrote: »

I actually think he has improved on the book Tywin, his scenes in the TV shows flesh out the character more (for me) You can see that he has a human side whereas the books don't dwell on this too much.

Loving the rendition of "The Rains of Castamere"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

jayteecork wrote: »

Quality classically trained actor. As pointed out by many TV critics GOT draws from events such as the War of the Roses which was then covered by Shakespeare in Richard the III. GOT is then bread and butter to Royal Shakespeare Company actors like Dance.

Advertisement