Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No TV signal unless UPC receiver is connected?

• 29-04-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I got UPC there in February and the got a new fibre cable into the property into the white box. this cable goes into a 2 way splitter and one cable goes to the sitting and the other to the bedroom.

I got a new tv for the bedroom there on Friday, I set it up connecting the tv through a co-ax and searched for channels through the auto tune function. When completed I could only receive rte 1, rte 2, tv3 and tg4 through the analogue signal. The digital search I received around 50 channels but every one of them are blank and the tv says scambled signal.

I thought this was odd because I should be receiving my basic 18 or so analogue channels. The only digitial channels that work are the radio stations and if I press info on the remote I can get all the epg info but no basic channels.

If I connect this same co-ax into the UPC reveiver I get all my channels no problem. Has anyone any ideas why this could be. Need to ring them tomorrow but surely something is not right if it works witht he receiver and doesn't work without it??

Anybody got any ideas :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What model is your new TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Where are you located?
    Can you get the 18 analogue channels on the sitting room TV?
    Do you or did you receive the 18 or so analogue channels on an older TV at that TV point in the bedroom?

The Cush wrote: »
    Where are you located?
    Can you get the 18 analogue channels on the sitting room TV?
    Do you or did you receive the 18 or so analogue channels on an older TV at that TV point in the bedroom?

Hi, im in Sallins.

I tried autotuning the main tv earlier in the sitting room and got nothing on both of the Samsung tv's. I had an older big junk of a tv before and it only picked up those 4 basic channels too. I only moved in feb do never really bothered me until now.

It is odd though isn't it, everything works fine with the UPC box but gets nothing without it!

Maybe the UPC analogue channels are no longer being carried?

Are the 4 basic analogue channels coming from an aerial or from the UPC cable connection?

In your first post you say you got a "fibre" conection in Feb, is this fibre optic or just standard co-ax cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

It looks as if your TV is conencted OK, as it seems to be able to see the encrypted DVB-C digital channels.

There is a difference between scanning for digital channels and analogue channels. I suspect that your TV was not scanned properly.

Go into the menu and see if you can do a factory reset. Also see if you can change scan mode from digital cable to analogue cable. Make sure you pick country as Ireland analogue.

I have used samsungs on analogue before but not that particular model.

If this is the user manual for your TV:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201112/20111216102348708/SX5DVBEU1A-ENG.pdf

See page 17

Analogue Channel: Change the country for analogue channels.
    Page 18
    Auto Tuning
    (depending on the country)
    Scans for a channel automatically and stores in the TV.N N Automatically allocated programme numbers may not correspond to actual
    or desired programme numbers. If a channel is locked, the PIN input window
    appears.
    ● ● Auto Tuning
    Air / Cable: Select the antenna source to memorise.
    Digital & Analogue / Digital / Analogue: Select the channel source to
    memorise.

page 19

Antenna (Air / Cable) t
    Before your television can begin memorising the available channels, you must
    specify the type of signal source that is connected to the TV (i.e. an Air or Cable
    system).

However in your case select cable System in Ireland and analogue not digital

To be certain plug it into a known working outlet first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I lived in Sallins about 18 months ago (in the Waterways) and when I tried to tune in the analogue stations to my TV (a Samsung but I cant remember which model) all I got was the encrypted digital stations, but none of the analogue stations. Not sure if it an issue with the signal in the area or with the TV itself.

Actually now that I think about it I also tried it with the old tube TV that was in the place when I moved in and it couldnt pick up the analogue stations either.

Not to complicate things, but you should get analogue. The only reason I could think of is if your TV signal is via MMDS, but the internet is via UPC fibre. That is the only situation I could think of. The original poster said they got UPC fibre, which carries analogue everywhere except Cork.

You will note that the procedure for scanning analogue and digital channels are different.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Not to complicate things, but you should get analogue. The only reason I could think of is if your TV signal is via MMDS, but the internet is via UPC fibre. That is the only situation I could think of. The original poster said they got UPC fibre, which carries analogue everywhere except Cork.

You will note that the procedure for scanning analogue and digital channels are different.

@zg3409, thanks for the tip. Will try that later. Im Pretty sure ireland was selected on setup but also in that station menu when I go to county it asks for a 3 digit pin to change the existing. I Must look in the book for it, but I Will just factory reset first.

@djmi, that sounds exactly like what's happening to me. If resetting and tuning as zg3409 suggested, doesn't work I will try get on to UPC because surely I should be able to receive these channels when I'm paying for them!

• Advertisement

Contacted UPC and basically said I'm on subscribed to the digital service and that's why I have no analogue signal therefore that's why I aint getting any channels.

Of course theres a charge of 3.50 p/m to get this or else I can pay a fiver and get multi room viewing and another box :rolleyes:

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Contacted UPC and basically said I'm on subscribed to the digital service and that's why I have no analogue signal therefore that's why I aint getting any channels.

Of course theres a charge of 3.50 p/m to get this or else I can pay a fiver and get multi room viewing and another box :rolleyes:

3.50 per month is the cost of supply the same signal to two points in the house. The inital main point should have analogue and digital.

The second point may have no connection for a variety of reasons. I have never heard of analogue as an option.

I have asked UPC Jason to clarify.

So where you get digital, you should be able to get analogue, assuming analogue is available at your address.

So try your TV at a known working point and follow the instructions. The 3.50 is to turn on a second outlet, not to tune your TV. If you outlet works with a UPC box then it is live.

3.50 per month is the cost of supply the same signal to two points in the house. The inital main point should have analogue and digital.

The second point may have no connection for a variety of reasons. I have never heard of analogue as an option.

I have asked UPC Jason to clarify.

So where you get digital, you should be able to get analogue, assuming analogue is available at your address.

So try your TV at a known working point and follow the instructions. The 3.50 is to turn on a second outlet, not to tune your TV. If you outlet works with a UPC box then it is live.

I explained everything to the guy on the phone earlier i.e the box working fine in both locations with the receiver and not working through a standard co-ax to the tv. He was basically saying that because I'm on the 66 euro digital + bundle; tv, broadband and phone that this only includes the digital signal therefore that's why I'm not getting the basic channels. This sounded crazy to me but I wasn't getting into an argument cause you never know what's in those terms and conditions!

My options were 3.50 per month and 50 euro for a technician to come out and flick a switch probably or order the multi room online for free and pay 5 euro a month. Surely I shouldn't have to pay again for channels I;m already paying for?!! This is so frustrating because I know I have a perfectly good tv point in the room and can't get any feckin channels on my lovely new TV :rolleyes:

I would be interested to hear from somebody on here working for UPC and also if anyone else has had this problem before, and if they've paid extra for the analogue signal when they are getting digital?

My parents and girlfriends parents both have UPC and never heard of them having to pay this!

As far as I was aware they (possibly unofficially) add the cost of the analogue into the price of the digital TV, do they not? Is that not why you pay a fee for just having internet with them; because once the signal is coming into the property there is no way to block the analogue TV, so they charge extra to make up for the fact that with internet you also get the basic TV service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi there

Please PM me your account details and I will check to see if analogue TV is available at your home - some of our network is digital tv only.

Either way, if you want to watch TV in another room there is a charge of €3.50 for analogue tv or €5 for Digital tv in a multi room situation. (and if you need us to run in a cable to the other room there is a €50 charge)

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jason

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I explained everything to the guy on the phone earlier i.e the box working fine in both locations with the receiver and not working through a standard co-ax to the tv. He was basically saying that because I'm on the 66 euro digital + bundle; tv, broadband and phone that this only includes the digital signal therefore that's why I'm not getting the basic channels. This sounded crazy to me but I wasn't getting into an argument cause you never know what's in those terms and conditions!

My options were 3.50 per month and 50 euro for a technician to come out and flick a switch probably or order the multi room online for free and pay 5 euro a month. Surely I shouldn't have to pay again for channels I;m already paying for?!! This is so frustrating because I know I have a perfectly good tv point in the room and can't get any feckin channels on my lovely new TV :rolleyes:

I would be interested to hear from somebody on here working for UPC and also if anyone else has had this problem before, and if they've paid extra for the analogue signal when they are getting digital?

My parents and girlfriends parents both have UPC and never heard of them having to pay this!

Pm sent thanks for the reply.

Does this analogue charge not seen crazy to people when your subscribed to the full upc package. All you want is a few channels in the bedroom!

For what its worth if you put up a fight they might wave it. I got a second point put in the bedroom so that I could move the box in there if I was ever in bed sick or whatever. They tried to charge me €3.50 a month for it (didnt explain why, just said that it was to have an extra box active; I didnt really understand the whole analogue thing at the time) so after much arguing and me telling them that I wasnt paying to have a point sit idle they waved the charge. That said, my monthly bill comes to €120 or something so maybe I have a bit of bargaining power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

djimi wrote: »
    That said, my monthly bill comes to €120 or something so maybe I have a bit of bargaining power!

€120 a month?!? What do you get for that??

BrianD wrote: »
    €120 a month?!? What do you get for that??

25mb internet, full TV with Sky Sports, HD, one multiroom. Comes to something like €120 a month with VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciara2013

Hey im just wondering is there a way to get channels on your tv when upc is turned off? I cant seem to get any only when upc is on.

• Advertisement

ciara2013 wrote: »
    im just wondering is there a way to get channels on your tv when upc is turned off? I cant seem to get any only when upc is on.

What do you mean by "when upc turned on" or "when upc is turned on"? Are you referring to the UPC cable connection to the house with/without an active subscription?

If so, you require a subscription to get channels via the UPC cable network otherwise as a non-subsccriber the cable to your property will be physically disconnected - so no channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciara2013

no. my upc got cut off

ciara2013 wrote: »
    no. my upc got cut off

OK, UPC own the cable network so if you don't pay the cable gets physically disconnected.

Do you live in an apartment or house?

The Irish channels are available subscription free with a Saorview STB or TV attached to an aerial - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/

Advertisement