Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Papers and the news stuff?

• 29-04-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

So I was reading the Sunday Times today as one does and I noted the article about how we can always ask the IMF for a loan rather than the ECB etc

But now on the news I have seen RTE saying that the IMF are saying they never said they would give a loan if we voted NO in the Fiscal treaty and that the Sunday Times Article was wrong and misinterpreted them?

Now I may not be the smartest tool in the box but no where in the article does it say that the IMF would give us a loan if we voted no?

It just goes on about how we can still apply for loans from the IMF as their applications have nothing to do with the EU etc?

Am I going mental?

Did I miss something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The IMF are a lender of last resort

Think of it as examinership for a country. For them to lend they will come in and run the country for you

http://www.imf.org/external/about.htm

The ECB and this Treaty is basically a disguised power grab by the larger countries to bring in Qualified voting majority and do away with one country one vote.

The current response to the crisis has been throw good money after bad, ie compensate private investor losses in over inflated property and investments with public money and hope it turns around which works for small economies but won't work for Spain and Italy as no one has the funds to bail them out. The US was bailed out by Chinese bonds already so you can forget China.

The only country with reserves is private criminals in Russia that own Chelsea for example and that will never happen, well, above board anyway.

In short.

ECB = Loans for us to run the country.
    IMF = Loans for them to run the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Aquila wrote: »
    Any evidence to back that up?

Save your offence about your corrupt club for the soccer forum.:pac:

I could spend a few hours posting zillions of links but it's not that hard.

Russia has some of the largest reserves in the world, Russia went economic boom in the 90's and most of the public wealth is in private hands and it is a curropt little hole, which is the 6th largest economy in the world. You want evidence that Russia is curropt?? Are you for real? There is a specific write down for curropt payments in the tax code.

I HATE posting Wiki links but if even the following is public knowledge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Abramovich
    In 1995, Abramovich and Boris Berezovsky, an associate of President Boris Yeltsin, acquired the controlling interest in the large oil company Sibneft. The deal was within the controversial loans-for-shares program and each partner paid US$100 million for half of the company, below the stake's stock market value of US$150 million at the time, and rapidly turned it up into billions. The fast-rising value of the company led many observers, in hindsight, to suggest that the real cost of the company should have been in the billions of dollars.[19] Abramovich later admitted in court that he paid huge bribes (in billions) to government officials and obtained protection from gangsters to acquire these and other assets (including aluminium assets during the aluminium wars).[20]

Anywhoo, it's off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

:confused:
    The people can be fooled by Bread And Circuses.

The IMF will give us a loan when we leave the Euro.
    By the IMF's history, you do not want to be there.

Pm me what links you have verifying your claim that Chelsea FC is owned by Russian gangsters which you stated in an earlier post in that case to save this thread from been further derailed.

Roman Abrovich is a gangster QED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So I was reading the Sunday Times today as one does and I noted the article about how we can always ask the IMF for a loan rather than the ECB etc

But now on the news I have seen RTE saying that the IMF are saying they never said they would give a loan if we voted NO in the Fiscal treaty and that the Sunday Times Article was wrong and misinterpreted them?

Now I may not be the smartest tool in the box but no where in the article does it say that the IMF would give us a loan if we voted no?

It just goes on about how we can still apply for loans from the IMF as their applications have nothing to do with the EU etc?

Am I going mental?

Did I miss something?

The Sunday Times main story 2 weeks ago was about people having to pay a lump sum of up to €600 for water meters. Turned out to be a complete fabrication but it was accepted as fact by a lot of people until the government announced that there would be no lump sum but there would be an annual standing charge.

Last week their main story was a follow up to that saying that Labour backbenchers "vent anger over Hogan" blaming the Minister for a "communications fiasco". The only fiasco was their fabricated story from the week before.

So it would be no surprise to me if their main story this week is also a fabrication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement