Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rig for Playing wow. on budget.

Options
  • 29-04-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi guys. my dell 730 gave up the ghost on me and has gone to that great pc place in the sky. So heres the thing. Im looking to get a rig for around 800 euro.
    Cba to build one. So any thoughts on a good retail system. with the option to upgrade or sli the graphic cards if need be. thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭KilOit

Could try http://www.custompc.ie/
    but go to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842 for advice on complete packages, lads over there know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

I can never understand why ppl think they must pay huge amounts of cash to build a gaming computer... €800 is overkill for wow anyways, imo. €500 would get u a computer that could run wow and every other game to come out in the future on Ultra!

DONT buy retail. BUILD your own

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Akarinn wrote: »
    I can never understand why ppl think they must pay huge amounts of cash to build a gaming computer... €800 is overkill for wow anyways, imo. €500 would get u a computer that could run wow and every other game to come out in the future on Ultra!

cba to bud my own simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

ebay.de have the best gaming systems for prices imo

bought my rig from there about 4 eyars ago for about 500, since then have only upgraded the ram to 8gig, plays every game on high settings still, incl bf3.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

€500 would get u a computer that could run wow and every other game to come out in the future on Ultra!

No it won't. Not with good Fps anyway.

As said before head to the computer building section you will get good responses there.

If its only for wow I would look at something based around an i5 or an AMD Phenom x ll 955

Maybe with a 560 TI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

oldon wrote: »
    cba to bud my own simple as.

Just asking, have you ever tried to build one, its piss easy honestly, nothing much to it, just like lego :P.

And if you head over to the build forum and ask around you will usually find a guy near you that would be willing to help you out with building it too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

overclockers.co.uk

You can pick up a high end machine for peanuts

The days of building your own machine are long gone

People just think there is some added bragging rights to say you built it yourself

TheDoc wrote: »
    overclockers.co.uk

People just think there is some added bragging rights to say you built it yourself

You pick out a rig on Overclockers and I guarantee I can find all the parts cheaper by a fair margin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

overclockers.co.uk

I disagree, there is still a fair bit of markup that PC suppliers charge to consumers when buying from them (although not like it used to be). Admittedly you might not see as much markup on overclockers (maybe/maybe not as they trade on their name).

If you build your own rig you get to "have it your way" and depending on where you source your parts you get it cheaper. A boards favourite as supplier is hardwareversand.de which offers the option of pre-building parts of your system for a 20 euro charge. In fact if you live close to some of the guys on the hardware/upgrade build they will help you put it together.

I would recommend dropping over to PC builing and upgrade section as the folks will sort you out.

NiallFH wrote: »
    You pick out a rig on Overclockers and I guarantee I can find all the parts cheaper by a fair margin

How do you calculate the cost of overclocking the rig completely

And providing a warranty o nthe whole rig.... not just each component

My point is people are stil banging on about builin your own machine because its cheaer

When in reality ts a tiny saving completely nullified by paying the little extra to haveyour machine built by professionals and having a solid warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

"Solid warranty",
    I've got 2 years warranty from were I bought all my components. After that I can rely on the manufactures. My MB has 3 years,CPU 3 years, PSU 7 years, GPU 3 years, RAM lifetime.
    You don't need to be a Professional to build a PC. When you upgrade your GPU do you send it away to a "professional" or replace it yourself? It's really not that hard plugging things together. Your "professional" is most likely some teenager.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

How do you calculate the cost of overclocking the rig completely

And providing a warranty o nthe whole rig.... not just each component

My point is people are stil banging on about builin your own machine because its cheaer

When in reality ts a tiny saving completely nullified by paying the little extra to haveyour machine built by professionals and having a solid warranty

Lets look at an OCUK system in the OP's pricerange:

OCUK Build:

£662.99 + £12.79 Shipping (~€825)
    - Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case
    - Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU
    - CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz @ 4.40GHz Sandybridge CPU
    - Motherboard: Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION **
    - Cooler: Corsair A50 CPU Cooler
    - RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    - Hard Drive: 500GB HDD
    - Graphics Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 1024MB GDDR5
    - Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
    - Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
    - 12 Month Warranty

Self built:

€628.59 + €18.99 Shipping.

Item|Price|Warranty
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€52.01|3 Years
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.94|2 Years
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.79|3 Years
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.59|3 Years
    Thermalright True Spirit 120|€23.84|3 Years
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333 CL9|€17.92|Lifetime
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€65.03|2 Years
    XFX RADEON HD 6870 900M 1GB DDR5 DUAL DP HDMI DUAL DVI|€141.21|2 Years
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.26|2 Years

So you are saying assembly (~1-2 hours), a 4.4GHz overclock (~30 seconds) and a shorter warranty is worth €200?

I've built 20+ computers for various people in the last 2 years. At a rough estimate I've saved them about €7500 in total, probably more. One person alone wanted to drop €3k on an Alienware. Overall I think that's plenty to brag about.

@oldon
    If you're based in Dublin I'd be happy to spec out and build a PC for you. Just send me a PM or post in the PC building forum.

deconduo wrote: »
    One person alone wanted to drop €3k on an Alienware. Overall I think that's plenty to brag about.

When I initially built my computer (cost me £400) I decided to compare it to a similar Alienware computer, to buy Alienware would have cost me around £900.

The rest of that post pretty much displays perfectly the savings available to you if you self build. Also as someone said before the ability to get exactly what you want down to the very last component is great. I know a guy plays on a similar set up to the one you listed, runs Wow and BF3 on max settings.

If its only for wow I would look at something based around an i5 or an AMD Phenom x ll 955

Maybe with a 560 TI

Your taking the mick right?
    If its only for WoW you think he should invest in an i5 and a 560TI? LOL...

An i3 and a 550TI would do fine, they could run WoW on Ultra even during a 25man. E-Z mode. Even with expansions to come these specs would run WoW on Ultra.

Dunno about a 550ti but an i3 can't run wow on ultra in 25 man raiding, not a chance, you would be lucky to push medium settings in 25 with an i3. Wow is quite cpu intensive.

I have an AMD Phenom 955 BE which I would consider similar to an i3 and I can only run ultra in less crowded area's

Dunno about a 550ti but an i3 can't run wow on ultra in 25 man raiding, not a chance, you would be lucky to push medium settings in 25 with an i3. Wow is quite cpu intensive.

I have an AMD Phenom 955 BE which I would consider similar to an i3 and I can only run ultra in less crowded area's

Well it seems your wrong.. I have an i3 and a 550TI in my 2nd rig, and it runs WoW on Ultra and gets 60fps in a busy friday night SW, and gets 50-60fps during 25man raids.

Also gets 25-40fps whilst running Fraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

i5 and 6870-560 is be ideal for WoW and its upcoming expansions , and its also good for any other / upcoming games you would want to play.

Sorry Niall but I think your spouting a bit of poor information around this thread...

Well it seems your wrong.. I have an i3 and a 550TI in my 2nd rig, and it runs WoW on Ultra and gets 60fps in a busy friday night SW, and gets 50-60fps during 25man raids.

Also gets 25-40fps whilst running Fraps.

Well I obviously can't dis prove that but I don't believe it. Also, odd that your Fps is the same standing in SW as it is in a 25 man raid?
    Sorry Niall but I think your spouting a bit of poor information around this thread...

Really? The guy who says you can buy a pc as cheaply as you can build tells me I'm spouting bad information?

Decunduo already displayed on the last page how much garbage you spout though so no need for me to get into that

• Advertisement

Really? The guy who says you can buy a pc as cheaply as you can build tells me I'm spouting bad information?

Decunduo already displayed on the last page how much garbage you spout though so no need for me to get into that

If I was arsed Id dig up the thread from the pc building forum

The Titan Krypt I bought was about 600 euro
    The equivalant Dell range was 1080
    The cheapest someone in the forum could come up with was saving me about 20 euro.

Meh its down to whatever the preference is

I am probably biased cause I dont mind paying more to have someone do the labour and for it to just turn on and work on arrival

Calling you out might have been harsh but I think your over exageraing the performance of WoW. Its become pretty efficent and doesnt require much to get good performance.

Anyway if the ops hgoing for self built Ill keep tabs on the thread just to keep myself informd of the latest gear

If he wants to buy bundled , overclockers is your one stop shop. And I could get you the recommendations of 50+ 25man raiders to boot ;)

Advertisement