Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

huddig backhoes

• 29-04-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

has anyone used one of these huddigs over here??? spotted them the 1st time i was in sweden a few years back and bought they were great. the in-laws over there have used a few and swear by them. reckon there is defiantly a use for them over here. have seen them using a hedge cutter mooted on the back arm bets the hell out of a jcb. probably more suited for forestry and construction then farm work but would luv to have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFvVVJOLRA&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

grazeaway wrote: »
    has anyone used one of these huddigs over here??? spotted them the 1st time i was in sweden a few years back and bought they were great. the in-laws over there have used a few and swear by them. reckon there is defiantly a use for them over here. have seen them using a hedge cutter mooted on the back arm bets the hell out of a jcb. probably more suited for forestry and construction then farm work but would luv to have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFvVVJOLRA&feature=related

Mad yokes loom d biz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

yipp sure are, was showing a few pic to a neighbour and he might be tempeted to try and get one in from teh uk as they are used by so of teh forestry service there. he does a lot of pit silage and has a loader but doesnt have a much work for the loader for the rest of the year now that the beet is gone and is not goign doing any muck spreading. he does a lot of hedge trimmin gin the winter as well as a bit of digger hire work. reckons is sells the loader and digger and replaces it with the huddig it'll make more sense and he can use it to cut the hedges and mount a saw freeing up a tractor. they are not cheap though but you do get more for your buck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there a reason that we dig up the verge , big teams of excavators to lay fiber optic, where the swedes just Plow it in ?? Mind u I'm sure there's a crowd plowing in water pipes and the like, wonder how big a duct they can sink...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Great machine but looking at the prices of some of the used ones i'd hate to see the new price
    http://www.mascus.co.uk/Construction/Used-Backhoe-loaders/Huddig,1,relevance,search.html

yeah, they're not cheap, then again 2nd hand machinary in sweden is expensive but they look after them well. that said what is the cost of a 10 ton L90 loader and a 140hp john deerre and a boom lift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there a reason that we dig up the verge , big teams of excavators to lay fiber optic, where the swedes just Plow it in ?? Mind u I'm sure there's a crowd plowing in water pipes and the like, wonder how big a duct they can sink...

jobs for the boys is proabaly part of it, how many times do you see 1 guy in the digger, 1 guy in the trench and 4 lads looking on??? they'll proably say its in case of other piping in the way. i know in a lot of the nordic countrys they bury the pipes and cables as far down as they can to avoid issues when the ground freezes.

the esb were replacing poles in our area a while back. 1 track machine to stand the pole, 1 loadall with a basket to lift the workers to the top of the pole, 1 digger to dig the hole for the pole and 1 tractor to bring in and out poles, plus a foreman. one huddig could replace the digger, trackmachine and loadall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

yellow50HX wrote: »
    jobs for the boys is proabaly part of it,

I usually wouldn't bother giving out about council workers..

BUT.

I passed a set of works ongoing out side Ballyhaise last week at about 11 in the morning... Usually wouldn't pass any remarks but I knew the contractor on the JCB..

The contractor was working away clearing culverts for the rain...

Small truck had five lads eating sarnies.
    Van had 2 lads reading the paper
    Road sweeper, lad looked like he was sleeping.
    2 lads sitting chatting on the ditch operating the lights, which I'm sure have an auto setting too...

There must be an argument for contracting the whole lot out on price... One man working a machine while no less than eight were on break and a further two sitting on the ditch chatting and operating the lights... Not much wonder they get a bad name for being lazy !

Passed 20-30 minutes later..... No change !

The coco were around to do the roads here in feb, took them 8 weeks to patch a stretch about two and a half miles and badly patch it. They then started on the next road which was in even worse condition took 3 weeks to do half a mile, about half the length of the road and they haven't been seen since that's about 5 weeks ago and the signs are still here. The gang here reckon they were filing in 1 pot hole an hour at a rate of 5 hours a day. And they wonder why people don't want to pay the rates!!!!!

Sometimes I wonder about this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

bbam wrote: »
    I usually wouldn't bother giving out about council workers..

BUT.

I passed a set of works ongoing out side Ballyhaise last week at about 11 in the morning... Usually wouldn't pass any remarks but I knew the contractor on the JCB..

The contractor was working away clearing culverts for the rain...

Small truck had five lads eating sarnies.
    Van had 2 lads reading the paper
    Road sweeper, lad looked like he was sleeping.
    2 lads sitting chatting on the ditch operating the lights, which I'm sure have an auto setting too...

There must be an argument for contracting the whole lot out on price... One man working a machine while no less than eight were on break and a further two sitting on the ditch chatting and operating the lights... Not much wonder they get a bad name for being lazy !

Passed 20-30 minutes later..... No change !

11 in the morning eh?..... it was their official tea break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Does manitou not sell something smilar. a mla 628 teleporter on the front and a backhoe on the back with articulated steering or am i dreaming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

Does manitou not sell something smilar. a mla 628 teleporter on the front and a backhoe on the back with articulated steering or am i dreaming...

Ya your dreaming:pac:. Shes a rigid loader. Never seem one working dont know if they were popular or not

the manitou was only around for a while, they didnt do the artic version, jcb had a prototype but never went into production. the huddig is a big yoke, volvo do a smaller version but it dosent have that extras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

The Huddig looks like good gear alright .... then again it follows the tradition of solid engineering and innovative off- road products from Scandinavian companies such as Valmet -Valtra , Volvo BM Red line products (later sold to Valmet) , Hagglunds, SiSu Diesel not to mention SAAB -Scania and Volvo pax,truck & bus.

Looking through the specs of Huddig, notice that they use Cummins QSB diesels. I guess SISU is a strategic competitor under AGCo.

i know of a guy up the country who was at an auction in the uk a few years ago, he was looking for a new tractor and hedge cutter that could also do saw work. he ended up buying a wheeled excavator with a swivel head and modified a saw for it. it was his brother was telling me about it.
    not only does it do the cutting but he can also put a hedge cutter on the head as well. he has a quick hitch and puts a big grab on the front for clearing the cuttings afterwards, this he says is the best thing as he can pick them up and swivel to put them back onto the ditches. he says its great when cutting along by roads as before he had to hire in a guy in a loader to clear up as the cutting arm made loader work on the tractor very awkward.

actually turned out to be an inspired move. he ran 2 track machines, and with the downturn wasn't sure he would have enough work for both so has sold one and can use the wheeled one for smaller jobs. also as it can go on the road he doesn't need a second low loader and tractor to move between jobs which freed up one of the tractors. so was able to sell 1 tractor and can put the old hedge cutter on another one if he needs it.

so +1 wheeled excavator and -1 tractor, -1 low-loader, and -1 track machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

This is the machine you need ,,,, every farm and plantation should have one!
    Change the heads for brushcutter etc.
    I seem to recall Valmet did the early work on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CD2V8GFqk_Y&feature=endscreen

is there a couple of storm troppers hanging around with a couple of chainsaws in the background???

thats probably the job for working in the woods alright but would you need to have something on it the carry the logs back to the road afterwards? not much use if your cutting the logs a mile or two from the nearest road and then have to carry each one back before you cut them.

wonder if an army have taken a version of that and mounted a turret on it and put some camaflouge paint on. im fairly sure i've seen that idea in a couple of film's from time to time (think it was in wild west). proably not that fast though.

Advertisement