Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaffir lime leaves recipe

Options
  • 29-04-2012 10:06pm
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I have them and am looking for recipes for one that involve them, preferably no fish sauce!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Been meaning to get around to using them myself.

Some in this recipe, though fish sauce is also in there, sorry...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515174

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Use them in any thai green or red curry. Even using a good quality shop bought paste, and good coconut milk, you can transform any green or red curry by adding two lemongrass stalks, tied in knots (because that helps to crush them without breaking them into pieces), about eight lime leaves (counting one two-part leaf as a single one), (rinse them under the cold tap, then scrunch them in your hand and throw them into the pot) and yes, fish sauce. (Don't worry - when added to a curry, even though it smells revolting, the taste is excellent.)

Fish sauce does indeed stink, but when used properly in cooking it just takes the place of salt, but has a richer saltiness. You don't taste fish at all - and cook it in for a minute or two and even the fermented fish smell disappears. It really rounds the dish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Are they fresh leaves or dried?

I'd def use them in a green curry as posted above. You don't have to USS fish sauce, as salt or even soy sauce would suffice.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Slattsy wrote: »

I'd def use them in a green curry as posted above. You don't have to USS fish sauce, as salt or even soy sauce would suffice.
    Dried, they are in plastic jar from tesco which hasn't been opened. I'm glad i can use soy sauce, not thai but i prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dried, they are in plastic jar from tesco which hasn't been opened. I'm glad i can use soy sauce, not thai but i prefer it.

Have you actually tried fish sauce (in moderation) in Thai style food or are you put off by the thought/smell?
    If the latter, you really should try a little-it is such an integral part of the flavour of so many Thai dishes and you'd have had it in restaurant dishes.
    If it tasted distinctly 'fishy' - you've put too much in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »

I only ever seen dried ones too, I wonder if fresh ones can be got, maybe in an Asian store somewhere.

Fish sauce is a different taste to soy, but at the end of the day they are both seasonings, just don't add too much soy as it will darken the sauce.

Advertisement