Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Superbowl IV

• 29-04-2012 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I know I posted it in the scheduling thread but thought we might as well have it's own thread for future reference.

Green Bay Packers -v- New York Jets

It was a familiar feeling for these two head coaches as they went head to head for their third superbowl in four seasons.

1st Quarter
    The Packers won the toss and chose to kick first off. The Jets received the ball and knelt in the endzone to start the game at the 20 yard line. The Jets moved the ball down the field a little to easy for Green Bay's liking, as Rodgers found Burress, Heyward-Bey and Keller as he moved down the field, eventually scoring on a 2nd and goal from the 5 yard line with Frank Gore punching in to make it 7-0 to the Jets. The Packers offense made up for the poor start to the game by the Green Bay defense by throwing the ball downfield themselves, with Locker finding Wayne, S. Rice and Edwards before finding Ray Rice in the end zone for a 4 yard passing TD off a play action fake with 1:18 remaining in the 1st quarter.

2nd Quarter
    The Packers once again could not stop the dominant Jets offense as they marched down the field in 3 minutes to make it 14-7 to the Jets, with Plaxico Burress catching a fade in the endzone for a six yard touchdown. The Packers offense responded again, with quick plays meaning they worked their way down to the Jets 20 yard line. The first huge momentum shift was to occur here, as excellent zone play by the Jets D forced Locker into a mistake, as he threw an Interception to Jets' Corner Back Tim Jennings. The Jets took advantage of this mistake by Green Bay as they moved the ball up the field again, scoring a 51 yard Field Goal with 7 seconds remaining in the half to make it 17-7.

Half Time: Green Bay Packers 7-17 New York Jets

3rd Quarter
    The start to the 3rd quarter was a hugely different experience to that of the first. Green Bay received the ball first and strong Jets' Defence forced a 3 and out and a punt back to the Jets. The Green Bay Defence knew after a poor first half that a strong second half was needed if they were going to win this game, and they subsequently delivered, forcing a punt on the Jets too. The next offensive drive for the Packers saw them get motoring again after stuttering on their last two. Strong running by Ray Rice and passes to Sidney Rice put the Packers at 1st and goal, on the third time of asking, Full Back Felton broke through the Jets' defensive line and in for 7 to make it 17-14 to the Jets with 2:17 remaining in the quarter. A momentum shift of huge proportions looked to have occurred on the Jets' first play of their next drive, when Rodgers had a rush of blood and tried to squeeze a pass in to Burress, but it was picked off by Dashon Goldson and he came to a halt at the New York 40 yard line. After being stuffed on the first play, the Packers tried a counter play which created huge space for Ray Rice, up came the Jets Free Safety to hammer Rice and knock him out of the game. The Packers then failed on a 3rd and 1 and due to some lag at an inopportune moment, missed the Field Goal from 49 yards to leave it at 17-14 to the Jets entering the final quarter.

4th Quarter
    The last quarter opened up with nervous drives from both teams, as the Packers and Jets traded punts. The Jets got the ball on their own 13 yard line with 8 minutes remaining knowing a time sapping drive could win them the game. This plan worked from the off as they moved the ball down the field whilst using up valuable clock time in the process. The Green Bay Defense eventually got a massive stop with 5 minutes remaining on the half way line, as Dustin Keller dropped a pass which would have completed a 3rd and 8 for the Jets.

The Jets punted away and left the Packers on their own 25 yard line, knowing a Field Goal tied the game and a touchdown would win it. The Packers offense clutched it up from this moment on, as amazing catches whilst being hit by Avery, Wayne and Fasano put the Packers on the 30 yard line of the Jets as the 2 minute warning sounded. This is when the games unlikely hero came about, as Leon Washington, the replacement running back for Green Bay took his opportunity with open arms as he made 4 big runs to set the Packers up on a 2nd and 1 on the 5 yard line with 1 minute remaining on the clock. The Packers head coach had a difficult decision as he wanted to go for the touchdown, but did not want to give the Jets enough time to get downfield. The Packers wanted to get the first down 1st to leave no time on the clock, and with that Felton the full back broke through for his 2nd touchdown of the day to make it 21-17 with 0:57 left on the clock. The game was not over as Rodgers made 2 quick 15 yard plays with the receivers getting out of bounds, putting the Jets on their own 45 with 45 seconds remaining and 2 time outs left. The big play was to come from this position as on a 2nd and 10, Rodgers found Thomas for another 10 yard gain but he was ht hard by Goldson who knocked the ball out to make an incomplete pass. Two big plays later by the Green Bay Defense and they had stopped Rodgers twice more, giving them the ball, and allowing Locker to kneel out for them to secure their Superbowl win.

Final Score: Green Bay Packers 21-17 New York Jets

Key Stats
    Quarterbacks:
    Jake Locker(GB) 19/28 287 yards 1 TD 1 INT
    Aaron Rodgers(NYJ) 21/37 218 yards 1 TD 1 INT

Running Backs:
    Ray Rice(GB) 11 att. 51 yards
    Leon Washington(GB) 5 att. 32 yards
    Jerome Felton(GB) 3 att. 10 yards 2 TD
    Frank Gore (NYJ) 13 att. 75 yards 1 TD

Receptions:
    B. Edwards(GB) 5 rec. 98 yards
    A. Fasano(GB) 4 rec. 73 yards
    R. Wayne(GB) 4 rec. 59 yards
    D. Keller(NYJ) 7 rec. 86 yards
    M. Thomas(NYJ) 5 rec. 45 yards
    P. Burress(NYJ) 4 rec. 44 yards 1 TD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Well done GB, Looks like it could have gone either way but i'm sure you are delighted and Berty is off plotting revenge.....sweet revenge...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Yep it was another cracking game, very little between us once again. It just always seems to be like that. In the end who plays the better wins the game and so it was.

I played as well as I could, could not complain of any bad luck or anything, Ben just played a better game. In particular Ben played some great defences when the pressure was on made some fantastic throws and kept the chains moving particularly well on the last drive.

Well done to Ben, a worthy Boards champion again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Always the same Bert, I can't remember the last time we played when there wasn't one score in it. Always enjoyable, we're always full of chat until we both get very nervous towards the end :pac: Thanks very much again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Congrats Ben.

C'mon AFC! We're 3-1 down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Congratz Ben! Its a forgotten ring for me ! Next Season ! Packers have a better team next year !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

McG wrote: »
    Congrats Ben.

C'mon AFC! We're 3-1 down now.

Ah we play him next year McG.. we'll take some revenge for the AFC...

Famous last words :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

With me going away on holidays for 3 weeks at the start of June, I may be missing the play offs :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

SantryRed wrote: »
    With me going away on holidays for 3 weeks at the start of June, I may be missing the play offs :eek:

I had noticed that.. i'm hoping to play you while you're away and have the Texans & Colts play you when you're back!

SantryRed wrote: »

me to looks like a lot of people are gona miss them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

me to looks like a lot of people are gona miss them

Me 3, gone for the whole of June

• Advertisement

gone for the last week in July and 2 weeks in August, hopefully MJD has got me a place in the play offs by then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

It took us 84 days from Super Bowl III to Super Bowl IV

At the same pace again Super Bowl V will be around the 22nd July (which means I'd miss most of the playoffs if I do make them this season as I'll be away on holidays most of July).

Those away during June should be back for playoffs... if they make them

Advertisement