Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Rash or Doom for PS2?

• 29-04-2012 10:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Does anyone know if you can get Road Rash (any of them) or Doom for the PS2?

Thanks,
    Newmug

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom are all out on the PS1. (Which can play on the PS2)

There was a Road Rash game released for the PS1 but it was pretty bad. Better off sticking with the Megadrive versions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll correct you there young o1s1n...
    The first PS Road Rash game was a conversion of the 3DO Road Rash, a title that was the best in the series imho.
    It's pretty easy to find too, although I'd naturally default to the 3DO edition the PS version is almost identical and will play on PS2 and PS3.
    Doom, on the other hand, never came out on the PS2, Doom 3 was an Xbox exclusive but fun (in spite of what some here might say!).
    The Doom titles on the PS1, Doom and Final Doom are well worth getting, the music is pretty nice and the system link option is fun and obscure at the same time!
    Doom on the machine contains both Doom and Doom II so is well worth having, Final Doom I found to be relatively short and disappointing, oddly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Roadrash 3D and Roadrash Jailbreak are both available on the PS1

Roadrash 3D I think is the conversion that CiDeRmAn mentions and is pretty good imo.

Roadrash Jailbreak came after this and has a few extra modes and allows 2-Player co-op. Not bad but my preference is for 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll echo Cidey here, the 3DO Road Rash conversion on the PS1 is a damned fine game. Never played the other one, which must be the one o1s1n mentions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

c - 13 wrote: »
    Roadrash 3D and Roadrash Jailbreak are both available on the PS1

Roadrash 3D I think is the conversion that CiDeRmAn mentions and is pretty good imo.

Roadrash Jailbreak came after this and has a few extra modes and allows 2-Player co-op. Not bad but my preference is for 3D.

NOoooooo!

Road Rash, the conversion from the 3DO, is simply called "Road Rash"

Road Rash 3D and Road Rash: Jail Break both suck Donkey Kong Country Balls!

Road Rash 3D.... :(
    roadrash_screen004.jpg

Road Rash Jailbreak.... :(
    rr2k_screen035.jpg

And Road Rash... :)
    gfs_43608_2_6_mid.jpg

The main game characters are in sprites which have a better, cleaner look compared to the 1st gen polygons of the other two games.
    Also the tracks are smoothly rendered in RR, with real character in each environment, I still love bombing along the pacific highway, all good baby, all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I was staying in a friends house for the weekend when we rented Road Rash for the PS1.

I remember enjoying it all lot back then,
    but now playing both the PC version, and the PS1 version in an emulator, I didn't enjoy it much tbh.

I think the Mega Drive versions have much more variety and action in them.

One of the biggest things that sets them apart is how a rival will stay at your speed on the Mega Drive games, and you'll have a battle on your hands.

But on the PS game, this would rarely happen, and the gap widened between rivals, not half the amount of action.

The video sequences were awesome though, the intro still gives me chills down my spine today:

Each to their own I guess, I just have a lot of love for the 3DO edition.
    The videos were wonderful, victory or defeat, but they were, of course, evolutions of the nifty animations in the second game, again when you won or lost.
    The 3DO videos, in turn, were present in the original edition of The Need for Speed, on the 3DO, with your opponent giving you kudos or smack talk depending on how you did, sadly missing from the PS edition of the game.

I found that, getting by the pack with skill left the only opponent, in the 3DO and PS Road Rash titles, being the road and traffic, this is fair enough.
    No matter how great you were in the MD games the pack was always right there, rubber banded to your race position this, for me, was irritating.

I also preferred almost every feature video, audio, track design, over the 16 bit versions, I really love Road Rash II in particular, owning it since it was released, but the 3DO game trumps it completely.

Sad and lonely in the corner is the misshapen anachronism that is the Sega/Mega CD Road Rash game, taking the sprites from the 3DO game and the level graphics from the earlier titles, and getting it all so wrong!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll correct you there young o1s1n....

Okay...!
    The first PS Road Rash game was a conversion of the 3DO Road Rash,....

I never said it wasn't :P
    a title that was the best in the series imho

Opinion, nothing to correct there really.
    Doom, on the other hand, never came out on the PS2,

I never said it did! :p
    Doom 3 was an Xbox exclusive but fun (in spite of what some here might say!).

Doom 3 is pile of boring boring. Absolutely lost opportunity that. Doom was about running frantically from room to room, blasting absolute hoards of hell spawn, trying to avoid ending up as a pile of mushed goo. Something completely missing from Doom 3.
    The Doom titles on the PS1, Doom and Final Doom are well worth getting, the music is pretty nice and the system link option is fun and obscure at the same time!

Doom on the machine contains both Doom and Doom II so is well worth having, Final Doom I found to be relatively short and disappointing, oddly enough.

Pretty much what I was pointing at in regards to saying he could play the PS1 games on the PS2.

I consider myself uncorrected :p

Ahh, the game's afoot eh?

tCp90.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Whatever about the different versions of Road Rash (only played the MD one and it's trash, Super Hang-On ftw :cool:) but I don't know why you'd want to play Doom other than with a keyboard and mouse, unless ofc it's just to sample the various console versions out of curiosity, fair enough in that case.

Great gif that EnterNow, a perfect fit. :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Road Rash is trash?

I'm pretty sure such comments are covered by the Irish Blasphemy law.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Whatever about the different versions of Road Rash (only played the MD one and it's trash, Super Hang-On ftw :cool:) but I don't know why you'd want to play Doom other than with a keyboard and mouse, unless ofc it's just to sample the various console versions out of curiosity, fair enough in that case.

Great gif that EnterNow, a perfect fit. :pac:

Doom doesn't have to fall into the kb/mouse category for me, as there's no z-axis aiming [stock]. It actually works fine on a joypad, which is strange, because I'm a kb/mouse or nothing man when it comes to FPS. Doom though, being an early FPS with no up down, can survive the transistyion well enough to a pad I reckon.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Road Rash is trash?

I've been troll baited by John Ultimate easily in the past, I'm reluctant to jump in & deal with this at the moment :p

Road Rash is trash?

I'm pretty sure such comments are covered by the Irish Blasphemy law.

Eh, uh, I meant "rash", yeah that was it... :p

I guess what I really meant is I had a Snes rather than MD so never played it until recently on the Nomad - didn't like it at all, so it holds no sentimental value for me at all - game play very poor, aged terribly etc. /takes off retr0-style critical cap

@EnterNow - I thought you handled yourself very well with that recent Johnny_Ultimate troll attempt, very restrained indeed. :D

Master of the Universe

/takes off retr0-style critical cap

I'm glad you said that, as for a moment I thought he was after stealing the log in details to your boards.ie account :p

@EnterNow - I thought you handled yourself very well with that recent Johnny_Ultimate troll attempt, very restrained indeed. :D

The b@stard got me good, grr :( I shall exact revenge somehow...somehow...

Master of the Universe

Unskinny his skinny jeans?
    Replace his thick framed black glasses with ones of reasonable frameage? (??)
    Piss on his fedora??

Piss on his fedora??

As in blast it with piss?

Nah, it'll take real duplicity to get him. Hipsters are damned smart sometimes :D

I would suggest heading on over to the Arts -> Film section and starting a ruckus by insulting some film/director that he likes. Stuff like that Fargo/Cohen Brothers muck that he probably likes. Seriously though, Film shouldn't even be in the Arts section in fairness... (stuff like that :p)

EDIT mudderfudder!:-

There was a Road Rash game released for the PS1 but it was pretty bad. Better off sticking with the Megadrive versions.

I'll correct you there young o1s1n...
    The first PS Road Rash game was a conversion of the 3DO Road Rash, a title that was the best in the series imho.
    It's pretty easy to find too, although I'd naturally default to the 3DO edition the PS version is almost identical and will play on PS2 and PS3.

(end of correction of o1s1n, following statements are comments on the Doom on PS2 part of the OP and were not part of any critique of o1s1ns gaming appreciation or lack there-of...)

Doom, on the other hand, never came out on the PS2, Doom 3 was an Xbox exclusive but fun (in spite of what some here might say!). (Yes, it is fun, yes you are all wrong by calling it a load of Poo!)

Ok, going to edit the post to correct the grammatical errors....

And just say, if you were initially referring to the Road Rash 3D/Jailbreak games for the PS, and calling them trash then you are dead right, they're pants, but then you will have forgotten the PS port of the 3DO game...
    Unless you meant to say that the PS port of the 3DO Road Rash was rubbish and so, you are wrong there... ;)

And, I agree, not liking Road Rash and RRII is a criminal offence, punishable by having your Raiden games confiscated and given to the mod who is typing right now, there will be no other warnings given!!!

EnterNow wrote: »

Nah, it'll take real duplicity to get him. Hipsters are damned smart sometimes :D

Also, tweed is made with urine, so he might thank you for pissing in it, adding something most hipsters have only read about in glossy fashion magazines, authenticity!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Problem is they associate intelligence with their hipsterdom. Therefore you trolling them with the art of duplicity will probably result in a bigger, inner hipster smugness.

Blasting with piss on the other hand resorts to crude levels of retort and, well...they'll end up stinking like piss :D
    I would suggest heading on over to the Arts -> Film section and starting a ruckus by insulting some film/director that he likes. Stuff like that Fargo/Cohen Brothers muck that he probably likes. Seriously though, Film shouldn't even be in the Arts section in fairness... (stuff like that :p)

Every time I go to look for the film forum I can't find it for that very reason. Then when I accidentally click on arts, and see 'celebrity and showbiz' - I realize that's where they must keep all the fluffy brainless stuff and scroll down to film.
    And, I agree, not liking Road Rash and RRII is a criminal offence

We agreed on something! That is being printed and stuck up on my wall of monumental achievements :)

We agree on lots of stuff...
    Like the fact that I don't find Retr0 attractive when he wears a dress and neither do you, it's only Atavan that gets twinges in his no-no regions.....

We agree on lots of stuff...
    Like the fact that I don't find Retr0 attractive when he wears a dress and neither do you, it's only Atavan that gets twinges in his no-no regions.....

Wow wow wow! So you find him attractive when not wearing a dress then? :pac:

This thread is teh ghey.

I feel sorry for the OP!

Honestly in terms of gameplay it's no contest. The Sega games are the clear winner.

Just compare the action between both:

There's so many great things that have been lost since the original games.

I actually find the newer one gets pretty boring quick.

All it has going really is a better framerate, and of course higher res graphics.

Ehhmmm, not sure what to say now without breaking someone's little heart....
    I'm more of lover of people with two X chromosomes, and no Y ones anywhere....
    Plus, with his love of Gunstar and my dislike of his sh1te taste in games, we could never make it work!
    Also, he allegedly has a penis, another deal breaker right there!

And re: OP...
    I preferred Descent and Descent 2 on the pc and PlayStation than Doom, and the pad works just fine on Doom, thankyouverymuch!
    But Quake, on the Saturn, trumps it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

See what Probotector is doing to ya Cidey.
    Better man up and get the manly muscled version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

@Waveform, those youtubes brought it all back, thanks a mill lad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doom doesn't have to fall into the kb/mouse category for me, as there's no z-axis aiming [stock]. It actually works fine on a joypad, which is strange, because I'm a kb/mouse or nothing man when it comes to FPS. Doom though, being an early FPS with no up down, can survive the transistyion well enough to a pad I reckon.

Keyboard and mouse are infinitely better than a joypad for doom. It's impossible to circle strafe with a joypad and if you want to play ultra violence then you bloody well need it!

PS1 Doom was decent but I didn't like that they cut out a lot of the bigger and best levels and replaced them with crapper new levels. Great music though even though I prefer the copyright infringing midi tracks of the originals.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Keyboard and mouse are infinitely better than a joypad for doom.

Real Doom players use the arrow keys, shift and Ctrl! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Noob, you didn't even include alt for strafing!

Master of the Universe

Noob, you didn't even include alt for strafing!

Real Doom players use Alt for strafing without even realizing :cool:

Ah man, I remember playing duke 3d like that for years,
    using alt to strafe and 7 and 1 on the num pad to aim up and down.

Back then I didn't even know what a WASD was!

I think that configuration may have come about with half life?

It still didn't stop me from clearing the game on Come Get Some though!

waveform wrote: »
    Ah man, I remember playing duke 3d like that for years,
    using alt to strafe and 7 and 1 on the num pad to aim up and down.

Back then I didn't even know what a WASD was!

I think that configuration may have come about with half life?

It still didn't stop me from clearing the game on Come Get Some though!

WASD was around for years. It got popular with Quake multiplayer but a lot of people were using it for FPS games since Doom, maybe before it. The default controls in System Shock were a weird variant of WASD. It turns Doom into a slow paced game into a 3D version of Robotron. Then the game becomes glorious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Doom(2) is really playable with a 360 pad. The only issue I came up against was the slow weapon switching was a total pain. Blasted through Ultra Violence no bother on the 360 port otherwise

• Advertisement

Honestly in terms of gameplay it's no contest. The Sega games are the clear winner.

There's so many great things that have been lost since the original games.

I actually find the newer one gets pretty boring quick.

All it has going really is a better framerate, and of course higher res graphics.

Look, please stop embarrassing yourself.

The 3DO game is the best, it's ok for you to be wrong, so don't sweat it! ;)

The MD version is a black strip, running into the distance, poorly defined scenery, you either have music or sound effects but not both, the lower difficulty levels are a pain to work through, the higher Diablo levels require Jedi skills to master.
    The 3DO and PS games are gorgeous, the levels better made, the roads split and the whole thing looks and sounds so much better.
    Also, the range of bikes is better, the videos are inspired.
    The gameplay, is almost the same it as to be said, you prefer RR3, well, I would prefer RR2 of the 16 bit games.
    This is something we both may not agree on....

Here's something we will agree on,

Skitchin' is tripe.

Nuff said.

Look, please stop embarrassing yourself.

The 3DO game is the best, it's ok for you to be wrong, so don't sweat it! ;)

The MD version is a black strip, running into the distance, poorly defined scenery, you either have music or sound effects but not both, the lower difficulty levels are a pain to work through, the higher Diablo levels require Jedi skills to master.
    The 3DO and PS games are gorgeous, the levels better made, the roads split and the whole thing looks and sounds so much better.
    Also, the range of bikes is better, the videos are inspired.
    The gameplay, is almost the same it as to be said, you prefer RR3, well, I would prefer RR2 of the 16 bit games.
    This is something we both may not agree on....

Here's something we will agree on,

Skitchin' is tripe.

Nuff said.

Clear winner in terms of action then - fact! ;)

Besides cidey, we all know you're just trying to justify the fact you bought a still overpriced, failure of a console! ;)

You're fooling no one here man....

:p

Well, Skitchin' was the biggest disappointment, I was so looking forward to seeing what ever the Road Rash people were going to do, little did we all suspect it was going to be that I've of rubbish, a big let down.

Skitchin' was utter tripe, agreed.

• Advertisement

Besides cidey, we all know you're just trying to justify the fact you bought a still overpriced, failure of a console! ;)

You're fooling no one here man....

:p

So, just for the sake of clarity, you reckon the 3DO is an overpriced, failure of a console??
    Not sure, but Steve will have your head on a stick in his front garden if you bad mouth the 3DO, and I'll help him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So, just for the sake of clarity, you reckon the 3DO is an overpriced, failure of a console??
    Not sure, but Steve will have your head on a stick in his front garden if you bad mouth the 3DO, and I'll help him!

I'm already putting a plan into action.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'm already putting a plan into action.

Remember the last lad that bad-mouthed it, he ended up on top of this

p219888-chichen_itza-mayan_temple.jpg

Just remember kids, the 3DO is beyond reproach, now, go about your business, there's nothin' else to see here, move along....

I hear the 3DO will be next seasons Contra 3.

I hear the 3DO will be next seasons Contra 3.

I'm already set so. Bought a boxed/mint FZ-1 many moons ago, before the boom :cool:

FZ-10's need not apply.

I'm already set so. Bought a boxed/mint FZ-1 many moons ago, before the boom :cool:

FZ-10's need not apply.

Pfft FZ-10's are for peasants.

elitist.jpg

Who was it that thought the LG one was better? Or was that the Samsung one? Anyways, they were way wrong, the FZ-1 is where it's at, unless you have an M2, which I don't.. :(

Who was it that thought the LG one was better? Or was that the Samsung one? Anyways, they were way wrong, the FZ-1 is where it's at, unless you have an M2, which I don't.. :(

The perfect 3DO has to be a NTSC FZ1 (without the silly mini fan on earlier models) with the PSU swapped out for a PAL UK one.

As for an M2, nice but more a curiosity than something you'd stick on to play.

Haha, i forgot about dropping that bomb yesterday, I was expecting a much bigger popcorn moment to follow :D...........

or judging by Steve SI's post it just hasn't followed.......yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement