Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc Quantitative Finance advice...

Options
  • 30-04-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys,
    am doing math and economics in BA for my degree, with an option of doing Quantitative Finance for my masters. I just want to ask which courses should take as electives which are outside my degrees-syllabus, that could facilitate me when doing the masters.
    Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Hiya. I'm no Economics student, but by the sounds of it, I'd recommend doing Electives based on the modules that Economics & Finance students do, that you mightn't necessarily do your yourself - so the Finance modules, I'm presuming. Especially if it's Finance you want to do for your Masters.

Here is a link to their modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 se

thanx a mil... tht would help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Student services in the Newman building by lecture hall P / Q will give you the exact information.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Having done some teaching on that program (MSc QF) I would advise you to be prepared in the following areas:
    1) Numerical Optimization, especially try and be capable with MatLab.
    2) Probability (know the basics very well) so that you can choose/excel at Stochastic Calculus and Optimal Control ( a VERY important skill for a quant).
    3) Statistics. If you know this well, particularly Ordinary Least Square Regressions then Time Series Analysis and Financial Econometrics will be very easy for you!

If you have any other queries feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 se

POSSY wrote: »
    Having done some teaching on that program (MSc QF) I would advise you to be prepared in the following areas:
    2) Probability (know the basics very well) so that you can choose/excel at Stochastic Calculus and Optimal Control ( a VERY important skill for a quant).
    3) Statistics. If you know this well, particularly Ordinary Least Square Regressions then Time Series Analysis and Financial Econometrics will be very easy for you!

you have just made my day... THANK YOU!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

POSSY wrote: »

Were you tutoring this year?

Advertisement