Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card cancellation question

Options
  • 30-04-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

my hubby and i decided to get rid of the credit card because the interest was too high and also it was way too handy. so friday we went down and cleared the whole thing, and my husband had to sign some forms and we were told it was cancelled and we would get a letter in the post as proof of cancellation

ive just checked my email and netflix emailed me to say they had taken 7e payment off outr credit card for the month, now this was the day after i cancelled it! so how were they able to take that 7e off it when it was cancelled? Also now are we going to have to go back down to the bank again and do it all over again with signing the forms

im very annoyed at this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Same thing has been happening with me. Closed my credit card account in February and it was due to expire in Feb too. I've had a direct debit taken out of the card twice in March and April, and then charged a penalty for not paying the bill. It seems that closing an account actually does nothing, neither does the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

You can't cancel debits from a credit card.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

my hubby and i decided to get rid of the credit card because the interest was too high and also it was way too handy. so friday we went down and cleared the whole thing, and my husband had to sign some forms and we were told it was cancelled and we would get a letter in the post as proof of cancellation

ive just checked my email and netflix emailed me to say they had taken 7e payment off outr credit card for the month, now this was the day after i cancelled it! so how were they able to take that 7e off it when it was cancelled? Also now are we going to have to go back down to the bank again and do it all over again with signing the forms

im very annoyed at this!

I'm sure Netflix would be very annoyed with you if your bill wasn't paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

im very annoyed at this!

Because your bank did not explain what cancelling means to you, there is a certain grace period for "late charges" to be presented to the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,864 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Credit cards generally stay open for a month after a request to close. The bank only put a 'closing hold' on the card initially meaning payments can still be taken from the card account by people you have agreed to allow direct debit it.

If the card has charges every month, like antodeco's, the account will stay open and never close fully. Otherwise the companies would get shafted all the time with people just closing accounts when they feel like it.

It's all in the credit card terms and conditions so the bank are covered, you just need to cancel all direct debits from that account ASAP so that it can fully close in a month's time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Tow wrote: »
    You can't cancel debits from a credit card.

i.e.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78224787&postcount=11

Advertisement