Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Monoxide detector picking up CO

• 30-04-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Last October, I bought a Fireangel CO-9D carbon monoxide detector and left it sitting on a shelf in my living room.
    I've had coal fires in the open fire over the winter and never saw it so much as read 1ppm.
    A few weeks ago my wife had a baby and we've been using it as a room thermometer sitting on the coffee table and as such we are noticing it more.
    This evening, no fire on, outdoor boiler not on, and my wife noticed it was reading 16ppm.
    Now I understand that below 50ppm is nothing to excessively worry about but my main concern is the 3 week old in the house and where the CO has appeared from. The readings are the same all over the house. They have sat between 10-18ppm for the last few hours. It was even 12ppm outside!!!
    I fried steaks earlier (electric hob, no flames) and no, I didn't burn them :-)
    There are no bonfires nearby, no industries pumping out fumes, no farmers spreading slurry, nada.
    I'm stumped, and a bit concerned.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Pique wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Last October, I bought a Fireangel CO-9D carbon monoxide detector and left it sitting on a shelf in my living room.
    I've had coal fires in the open fire over the winter and never saw it so much as read 1ppm.
    A few weeks ago my wife had a baby and we've been using it as a room thermometer sitting on the coffee table and as such we are noticing it more.
    This evening, no fire on, outdoor boiler not on, and my wife noticed it was reading 16ppm.
    Now I understand that below 50ppm is nothing to excessively worry about but my main concern is the 3 week old in the house and where the CO has appeared from. The readings are the same all over the house. They have sat between 10-18ppm for the last few hours. It was even 12ppm outside!!!
    I fried steaks earlier (electric hob, no flames) and no, I didn't burn them :-)
    There are no bonfires nearby, no industries pumping out fumes, no farmers spreading slurry, nada.
    I'm stumped, and a bit concerned.
    Any ideas?

Does anyone in your house smoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Does anyone in your house smoke?
    Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

It's possible it has become faulty, especially since it was reading 18ppm outside in the open.

Best solution would be to change it. Try and get an EI one, much better quality and has a fault indicator and an end of life indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Checked it all day today and no reading above 0ppm all day.

The neighbours have a tendency to burn smelly fuel Of some sort (smells like plasticky type fumes) and they had a fire last night. Maybe the smoke was laden with CO?

They were alive today though.

Advertisement