Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Year's Onions

Options
  • 30-04-2012 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Last year my onion sets were a disaster. The problem was that I planted them too close to some lelandi and the roots dried the ground too much. About half the onions grew and the others seemed to be dead. I harvested the good ones and left the "dead" ones with the intention of digging them out this spring. However, during the winter the "dead" ones came to life and started growing. They are now doing well but the bulbs are dividing like shallots.

Now I'm wondering can these "dividing onion sets" be used like ordinary onion sets? Should they be plucked early or late and is the flavour OK? Are they as good as first year onion sets or if they are not as good should I dig them out and get rid of them now?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you may find that thye'll go to seed on you rather than plump up.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

you may find that thye'll go to seed on you rather than plump up.

It's looking like you were right, seed heads developing everywhere in the last week or so. What do I do now? Snip the heads off, dig out the onions and dump them or leave them and use them? Can the seeds be harvested and used? (probably not worth the trouble when sets are so cheap!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The seeds could be collected, but really what's the point apart from the interest of doing it. If what you have smells and tastes oniony, sure dig them up and use them. Start again with new sets next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

the flavor of these may not be so good,

onions are a biennial plant, meaning they go from a seed to making seed in a 2 year cycle, we don't allow them to go the second year of growth and harvest after the first year when the plant has concentrated energy storage in the bulb, in the second year the plant concentrates on making flowers and seed and the flavour and structure of the bulb changes (not for the good),you could give them a try and see if they are palatable to you,

in terms of saving seed to reuse, it would be helpful to know the type of seed the plant came from, if it is a hybrid (such as an F1 variety) you may not get a like for like plant but rather one or the other parent plants and they may not be very good at all:o.

Advertisement