Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design problem...how to represent a group of members, without using profile pics?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a bit of a design problem with a project I'm working on, was wondering if anyone could throw in an idea or two.

I want to visually represent a group of members, but can't/don't want to do so using profile photos. For example, the Facebook Like box gives strong visual reference to a group of real people, by showing a grid of member profile photos.

I want the same result, but don't have the resource of using photos as the members in this project won't have pics.

So I'm wondering would anyone have any ideas on a graphical design that would strongly show a group of members visually? The design doesn't have to be based unique to a particular group, simply be a visual way to say "there are real people here, using this".

Any help would be brilliant!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

By a group of people are you talking about a member list in a specified group or just a group of individuals with no association to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

smash wrote: »
    By a group of people are you talking about a member list in a specified group or just a group of individuals with no association to each other?

The latter. Just a way to visually represent that there's a group of people already partaking, ie "35 people have already joined" kinda thing, for social verification/reinforcement.

Generic user icon with a count overlay using css?

user_group_count.png
    http://findicons.com/icon/419029/user_group_count?id=419029

Thanks for that, however I'm hoping to do something a bit different that would have the same message but not be as anonymous as that. I think the main thing is I'd like something that isn't reliant on using numbers/digits.

Thanks again

If members won't have pics then it will always be somehow anonymous so you don't have much choice unless you just have a line of text selecting a random member. Like "Joe Bloggs and 39 other people like this"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Would your potential users have gravatars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You example is probably the best idea. Why not just go with that.
    User 9292920 commented on a post.
    200 people are active on the site right now.
    etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

different color range for different range/type of users
    or you can use shapes
    or abstract shapes

can also use numbers, styled or un styled [think american football jerseys]

Placebo wrote: »
    different color range for different range/type of users

This was the first thing I thought of. Some kind of multi-coloured chart based on user groups, but there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 One Flew Over

Maybe you could design a grid-box, each square containing a green-light icon (like the "who's online now" icon) but in your case representing how many people haved joined so far. Use some red-light icons in the gird also. It may work to reassure visitors that you already have real members.

Food for thought...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input!

A problem is that there isn't necessarily a range against which to apply a empty/full visual as there isn't a cap on number of members per grouping.

I'm thinking of going with a custom designed icon to represent members, and then repeating that in a logical way somehow.

The Facebook style profile pics can't be beaten though I think, as they instantly communicate the participation of individuals. Replicating that effect graphically will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Some kind of person icon to indicate each user, maybe a larger one for every ten users? Or stacked, slightly offset in group of 5 or 10.

Though that could get messy if you start getting into hundreds of users. Personally, I'd still like digits as well if possible.

Advertisement