Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very annoying - Drag this to your Windows taskbar to enable special IE9 Features

Options
  • 30-04-2012 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭

"Drag this to your Windows taskbar to enable special IE9 Features" - what's with this - just upgraded to IE9 and everytime I visit boards this comes up.

And even after pinning the damn thing to taskbar it still comes up.

It is very annoying, presumably cookie related, and actually very like, and just as annoying as the Google "Do you come here often" banner.

Can boards please remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just found this in site development:
    "When you dismiss the notice, you set a 30-day cookie that hides the popup. If the cookie is removed, you'll see the pop up again. The solution is to not remove the cookie.

Regardless of you manually clearing cookies, the cookie will expire every 30 days. So you'll see the notice once every 30 days at a minimum, but more often if you keep clearing cookies

If you regularly clear cookies, you can do what xsiborg suggested and make an exception for *.boards.ie (all Boards.ie cookies) which means they won't be cleared when you clear cookies.

I don't personally see why boards have to go messing in ways that has me having to go making exceptions.

I'd like an explanation as to why boards seek to implement this without asking people first if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moved this from Comp / Tech earlier. Meant to post in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Thanks Khannie :)
    I don't personally see why boards have to go messing in ways that has me having to go making exceptions.

I'd like an explanation as to why boards seek to implement this without asking people first if they want it.

The fact of the matter is people wouldn't know about the taskbar pinning that Boards.ie are offering if we didn't advertise it. And how do we advertise it? With a nicely styled notification. How do we deal with people who simply aren't interested in the feature? We allow them to dismiss it and set a cookie so it doesn't show up again until the cookie expires (30 days).

How do we deal with people who clear their cookies more frequently? What we do is offer a suggestion that if you're one of these users who clear cookies often then maybe setting an exception for Boards.ie wouldn't be a bad idea. At the end of the day it's your decision how often you want to clear your cookies and not ours, so if you're seeing the notice more than once every 30 days you've nobody to blame but yourself.

We won't be removing it any time soon I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And how do we advertise it? With a nicely styled notification.

Nicely styled? Twice as big as it should be imo!
    At the end of the day it's your decision how often you want to clear your cookies and not ours, so if you're seeing the notice more than once every 30 days you've nobody to blame but yourself. We won't be removing it any time soon I'm afraid.

You should get a job at Google ;)

Edit: Moving to Google Chrome seems to have fixed it. Now I will wait until Google try something else to damage my web experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Nicely styled? Twice as big as it should be imo!

Increase your screen resolution ;)
    Edit: Moving to Google Chrome seems to have fixed it. Now I will wait until Google try something else to damage my web experience!

Since the taskbar pinning is an Internet Explorer 9 option only you won't see the notice on any other browser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Moving to Google Chrome seems to have fixed it. Now I will wait until Google try something else to damage my web experience!

I better hold off on that chrome desktop notifications project I'm working on so...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement