Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is addiction genetic ?

• 30-04-2012 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

The oulfella is a full blown alcoholic, im a weekend alcoholic i think it must be in the genes, long list of alco's on me da's side

do i stand a chance ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Is trolling genetic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

not trolling now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It could be genetic, the best thing to do is to not breed any more alcoholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

it could be, there are some things that point to genetics but then again it could be someones excuse for being an alco.

Oh it runs in the family therefore i couldn't feel bad about getting smashed

i should be in bed, i want to go to bed 'shattered' but i dont want to stop drinkin........ how sad is that, 29 years of age, thats feckin sad isnt it

• Advertisement

luckyfrank wrote: »
    i should be in bed, i want to go to bed 'shattered' but i dont want to stop drinkin........ how sad is that, 29 years of age, thats feckin sad isnt it

i never want to stop drinking when i start too but when its half 8 on a monday morning and you are on boards posting in AH you may have hit the bottom!

Anything happening in your life making you nervous OP or is there a complete lack of things happening?

Either could make you look for answers at the bottom of a can/bottle

danniemcq wrote: »
    i never want to stop drinking when i start too but when its half 8 on a monday morning and you are on boards posting in AH you may have hit the bottom!

Anything happening in your life making you nervous OP or is there a complete lack of things happening?

Either could make you look for answers at the bottom of a can/bottle
    just dont want to go to bed chasing a buzz thats not there, on meds for depression but thats me making excuses, hard to explain why i dont want to stop other than i like it as sad as that maybe

meds for depression and drinking?

I'm not sure thats the best idea if you are looking for that buzz that ain't coming!

I've been there OP, carrying on the party after everyone else has gone thinking that its all gonna kick off but it never does and then when you eventually do go to bed although you don't feel buzzed you are and then the downer kicks in.

You might wanna put down the drink while you are slightly ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Get some sleep and re-evaluate when you wake up.

danniemcq wrote: »
    meds for depression and drinking?

I'm not sure thats the best idea if you are looking for that buzz that ain't coming!

I've been there OP, carrying on the party after everyone else has gone thinking that its all gonna kick off but it never does and then when you eventually do go to bed although you don't feel buzzed you are and then the downer kicks in.

You might wanna put down the drink while you are slightly ahead!

thanks for the friendly advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Addiction isn't genetic , however the amount of dopamine people recieve from doing various acts is , its why people can become addicted to non chemical things gambling, computer games ect , because their body craves that surge of dopamine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

luckyfrank wrote: »
    The oulfella is a full blown alcoholic, im a weekend alcoholic i think it must be in the genes, long list of alco's on me da's side

do i stand a chance ?

There has been quite a bit of studies about this.
    Apparently there might be genetic influences which make some people more prone to such a problem.
    See for example: http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v8/n11/abs/nn1583.html
    or
    http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.psych.53.100901.135142?journalCode=psych

That said, its only a off hand opinion by myself but I think its down really to the will power of the person themselves.

A google of of your question, will provide some serious answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

My mother would tell you yes. Apparently we [my family] have a history of being addicted to addictive substances.

My conclusion however is that the "addictive" in "addictive substances" is the primary factor of the addictions, not the genes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Studies on monkeys with alcohol indicate that the nature of addiction is somewhat universal and there is generally a fixed proportion in any population who will develop an uncontrollable addiction, another group who will develop a strong addiction, another group who enjoy it without going nuts, and another group who could take it or leave it. A small number will be physically repulsed by it.

This appears to be passed down genetically, though the impact of nurture can't be ignored either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I think it is , certain traits are passed down through generations and an addictive personality would be up there, having said that on my fathers side there is alcoholics but for a child growing up seeing how drinking responsibly like all my family on my mothers side they could enjoy a few drinks and know when to stop and everyone has a great time , to seeing the dirty side of drink violence stealing drinking till you pass out etc set my decision in life about drinking
    I made my choice never to drink spirits because of what I witnessed when I was young but one of my siblings went down my fathers route and would act the exact same way he did when drunk

Alcoholism destroys families if you think you have a problem OP get help now before it spirals out of control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

No it's not genetic, not one bit and in saying so is a complete cop out. Just because your father is an alcoholic doesn't mean you have to be one also. It's a choice thing.

I've had some experience with alcoholics and all I can say is that they are the most selfish people I have ever met, they do everthing in their lives to the limits and beyond. They have serious unresolved issues that they are unwilling to resolve and continue living in a deluded bubble, masking these issues with extreme activities until they are content with themselves.

I blame the huge ammount of addiction in Ireland on the ****ty culture that we are know for, the - "errah, you'll be grand sure, dont be hard on yourself man, c'mon and we'll have a few pints to cheer ya up", mentality. No doubt it originated with the ever so secretive Catholic Church.

I blame the huge ammount of addiction in Ireland on the ****ty culture that we are know for, the - "errah, you'll be grand sure, dont be hard on yourself man, c'mon and we'll have a few pints to cheer ya up", mentality. No doubt it originated with the ever so secretive Catholic Church.

Them and their Alter Wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think a tendency towards addiction is genetic, but after that there is a big element of choice involved.

I have an addictive personality, but i never took drugs, I do go on benders every now and again but life and its complications makes me choose to stop.

If I ever won the lotto I would be seriously fkuced, but then I would be able to afford rehab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

your fúcked imo

Advertisement