Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle / e-reader confusion

Options
  • 30-04-2012 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

Right, please take into account that I'm pretty much a complete technophobe & I have read some previous posts and answers but still confused :o

She who must be obeyed has been dropping not so subtle hints about wanting a kindle / e-reader for her birthday

Is Amazon Kindle the way to go?
    Just see an Amazon offer of £109 for Kindle touch, Kindle regular £89
    Do I really have to buy a charger as an extra?
    How restrictive / difficult in reality is the purchasing of reading material after buying?
    Do I have other or better options?
    Amazon.co.uk or local Curry's / PC World ?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Kindle is without doubt the best e-reader on the market.

It can be charged with a (mini) USB cable, I can't remember if they come with it or not, but they're not expensive and there's more than likely one lying around the house anyway.

Not every book is available in Kindle format, but there's still a HUGE selection and it's only going to get bigger. If a book I want isn't available then I usually search around for a PDF instead, which I can convert to read on the Kindle. Put it this way, it's rare that I can't get a book I want to read.

You'd have to purchase from Amazon.com if buying online. Curry's would be best though, it's more or less the same price and you can get it straight away.

She's gonna love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks MagicMarker, forgot to say we have laptops & decent broadband at home if that makes any difference to make & model choice

Some other posters have said that the touch screen version isn't worth it due to smudging and no real need for the keyboard version for normal reading use?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have to older keyboard version, which is grand but there's no need for the keyboard, I never use it anyway. Personally, if I were buying a new one I'd go for the wifi only, non touchscreen, non keyboard option.

3G is handy but I'd say it's only useful if you're always on the move. If I was going traveling for instance I'd get a 3G one as it means I can always buy and download books. But other than that I just use my home wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Should have read the kindle sticky :o

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

The amazon kindle is second to none! I simply love mine. I have a keyboard 3G one with the cover light. Worth every penny. All of it. I only wish it had been invented when i was a tennager and had more time to read...:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement