Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work & childs immunisation

Options
  • 30-04-2012 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello all,

Hope someone can answer a few questions/worries for us.

My wife is going back to work next week after our first child and we are wondering about what to do when the baby gets called for hearing test & other immunisations.

Do one of us need to book a day of work to take our daughter or is the mother allowed a paid day/hours off work to take our daughter?

Also, if our child is sick what do people do? We don't want to send her to child minder if she is sick. So I guess one of us needs to book a day off work? What do people usually tell their employer in this instance?

Thanks for reading,

WM

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got the immunisations late in the evening or at weekends.
    All the health nurse appointments happen when they are very small,so it is an exception if you have one later on.
    When they are sick unless they are the only child the minder has then you need to keep them at home and take time off and most people just tell their employers that they are sick or the child is sick.(unpaid vs paid leave) or take a day from annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bubski

my employer allowed me to work back in the time for health visits or if baby was sick and had to go to doctor

when baby was sick i just told them he was sick and cant make it in, i was allowed to take as annual leave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our gp opens until 6pm so we went after work. I'd suggest booking the appointments for early morning or late evening so you'd only take half a day or perhaps a couple of hours and your manager might let you work them up.

I have time in lieu so I've taken it when my son is sick. Otherwise I'd have to use my annual leave. My manager is quite reasonable so I explain if my son is sick and why I need to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Moonbeam wrote: »
    most people just tell their employers that they are sick or the child is sick.(unpaid vs paid leave) or take a day from annual leave.

Do you get paid leave if your kid is sick? I never had to worry about all of this because my boss was a gem, I'd just go when he was ill, but I'm interested to know generally what the story is for when I eventually go back to another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do you get paid leave if your kid is sick?... probably not.

Unless it was something very serious like an accident, you might be able to take force majeur leave. But I doubt it's paid.

I take a holiday if I leave work for a vaccine appointment. We take it in turns to bring the baby to these.

I don't know what hearing test you get called for btw... we never got one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Since I've been back I've worked up time in lieu or taken time off, and taken turns doing that with baby's Dad. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll bother with any more of the health centre checks though.

The 7 month check with the PHN includes a hearing test pwurple :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I didn't get called for any 7 month check. Nothing since 3 months.

Meh, my PHN isn't great anyway, advised me to start weaning at 12 weeks. Oh, and she kept calling me Joanne (not my name). Muddled is not the word.

Advertisement