Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting phone numbers from itunes?

• 30-04-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

My iphone was stolen last Saturday. I'm getting a replacement Samsung from the phone company three. How can I get my phone numbers transferred from itunes to the Samsung? The lady from India on threes helpline told me it was possible but I cant seem to get the numbers up on itunes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If you're on a Mac, try opening your Address book application. Should be all in there. If not you could use a friends phone to restore from backup in iTunes then export the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Not a Mac Grizzly. But if I connect someone elses iphone to my itunes wont that upset all of their details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Just make sure they have a recent backup done, so they can wipe your details and restore their own.

Looks a bit tricky. Might be better for me to try and get another iphone instead of the Samsung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can get the contacts from a backup and then export them as a single .vcf

What windows is on the pc with the backup

• Advertisement

It's windows xp. I don't really understand about exporting tham as a single .vcf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This could be wrong in your situation, but if you have a gmail account, it may be saved in contacts. I know mine are. My phone book backs up to gmail every night.

No, don't have gmail. My email account is eircom.net.

This could be wrong in your situation, but if you have a gmail account, it may be saved in contacts. I know mine are. My phone book backs up to gmail every night.
    That only works if you set the email up as an exchange account and set the numbers to sync

i've got contacts from a backup before but cant remember exactly how i did it and i'm sure it was easier to do than this

the backup is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

go to the most recent one and open it, look for a file beginning with 31bb, copy it and paste it to the desktop

you need a sql viewer to read it and i tried the one below, it works well with firefox so just install it and then you can access it if you click the firefox button and its under web developer
    http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/

click the open button and select the 31bb file from the desktop
    edit: when you try to open the database make sure you change the search options from sqlite db files to all files or you wont be able to select the 31bb file
    here it gets a bit tedious, click on ABMultiValue and then the browse and search tab on top of the second pane, open notepad and make a note of the record_id and value for each contact

when you have all them click on ABPerson and make a note of each ROWID and any fields with names

then you have to join the name to the numbers or email addresses using the ROWID and record_id number to link them

it will take a while but you will have all your contacts back, there is programs to do this for you but they are all paid for

• Advertisement

Thanks Guil, but a change of plan now. I bought a 2nd hand iphone today so I won't be using the Samsung. It's from the three network which suits me. Only problem is they are having some technical problems activating the sim card and my contacts won't transfer to the iphone when I synch. The apps have transferred all right. Is this because the card isn't activated or should they transfer anyway? It's also impossible to see the list of my contacts on itunes or am I missing something?

you need to restore from a backup to get the contacts back, right click the iphone in itunes and click restore from backup and pick the most recent one
    as far as i know you can't view your contacts in itunes, also you have to set contacts to sync, i think its on the info tab when you click on the iphone

Thanks Guil, that sorted it.

Advertisement