Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greek island of the blind!

• 30-04-2012 9:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Heard the one about the Greek Island where they have blind taxi drivers, blind shop keepers and blind farmers?
    Well as it turns out its a massive scam of epic proportions that someone had been turning a... well... ...a blind eye to - till now!
    Even by the extravagant standards of Greek corruption, the scam uncovered by Stelios Bozikis is so brazen that it is hard to credit.
    Nearly 600 people on the Ionian island of Zakynthos - of which Mr Bozikis was recently elected mayor - managed to have themselves falsely declared blind, entitling them to fat monthly cheques from the state.

They included taxi drivers, shopkeepers and restaurant owners, farmers tending the island's patchwork of vineyards and olive groves, and a few amateur hunters, whose purported disability did not stop them from spending their weekends shooting rabbits and birds in the rugged mountains of the interior.

Other "blind" locals have been seen cheerfully playing cards and backgammon in the tavernas and bars of the island. "Out of 650 registered blind people on the island, we estimate that at least 600 are fraudulent claims," the mayor told The Sunday Telegraph in his office overlooking the boats crowding the port of Zakynthos Town, the main settlement.

Article continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/9233670/Greece-tries-to-crack-down-on-fraud-as-mayor-of-Zakynthos-faces-revolt.html

When the mayor tried to put a stop to it, he got pelted with eggs.
    ...I assume they were thrown by the blind people! :pac:

Comments

The EU didn't see that coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bet the islanders are all walking on egg shells now the scam has been rumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oh, those whacky Greeks and their crazy get-rich quick schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I can't see how they got away with this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bet they smell great though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I think the key to this is 'managed to have themselves falsely declared blind'.

So corruption in the process of getting declared blind and their own moral bankruptcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bambi wrote: »
    Bet they smell great though

Or hear things before they happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ireland is hardly one to talk about welfare fraud in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

If you ask me, they played a blinder :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

billybudd wrote: »
    If you ask me, they played a blinder :D

AH gets cornea every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

ejmaztec wrote: »
    AH gets cornea every day.

Ah its pun, you know what some people are without the p but add a c & t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw Greek Island of the Blind on VHS years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The Greek island of the blind = The Irish island of the children with ADHD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You think that's bad, I went to Lesbos and was very disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ch750536 wrote: »
    You think that's bad, I went to Lesbos and was very disappointed.

:D

Your were hard up and done by? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

There must be a bunch of guide dogs going "ah fcuk we have to actually go work now!" after this news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Biggins wrote: »
    Heard the one about the Greek Island where they have blind taxi drivers, blind shop keepers and blind farmers?
    Well as it turns out its a massive scam of epic proportions that someone had been turning a... well... ...a blind eye to - till now!

Article continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/9233670/Greece-tries-to-crack-down-on-fraud-as-mayor-of-Zakynthos-faces-revolt.html

When the mayor tried to put a stop to it, he got pelted with eggs.
    ...I assume they were thrown by the blind people! :pac:

Talk about the the blind leading the blind.

HazDanz wrote: »
    There must be a bunch of guide dogs going "ah fcuk we have to actually go work now!" after this news.

..and the owner of the "White Sticks R us" shop isn't too happy either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Feckin Greeks!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Feckin Greeks!

Not satisfied with just inventing gayness, they had to invent blindness as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Not satisfied with just inventing gayness, they had to invent blindness as well.

They invented lesbianism too I think

Advertisement