Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 construction

Options
  • 30-04-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

A query in relation to the separating barriers between the southbound and northbound lanes. The concrete barrier at some locations separates from a single barrier to a twin barrier with the space between the barriers filled with stone. What's happening here?? I'm not referring to the instances where one of the barriers is retaining a higher level road. Also in some locations there is a small length of 'additional lane' between the outer lane and the barrier, what's this about?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I can't answer your question but the title of this thread got me thinking that almost 25 years after construction began on the first sections of the M50 perhaps it's high time to dedicate a thread to pics and articles about the building of the M50 from the first works on the Westlink bridge in 1987/1988 to the opening of the Western Parkway in 1990 and thereafter the Northern and Southern Cross sections.

It would be great to have a resource with links to news articles, TV reports, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Also in some locations there is a small length of 'additional lane' between the outer lane and the barrier, what's this about?

This one is easy, this is a sightline issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

Many instances where the barrier goes from a single to twin parallel barrier is where there are either Bridge Piers or Gantries I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

ftlnn wrote: »
    A query in relation to the separating barriers between the southbound and northbound lanes. The concrete barrier at some locations separates from a single barrier to a twin barrier with the space between the barriers filled with stone. What's happening here?? I'm not referring to the instances where one of the barriers is retaining a higher level road. Also in some locations there is a small length of 'additional lane' between the outer lane and the barrier, what's this about?

ardmacha explained the 2nd part of your query and in relation to the variable width "between" the barriers it is to keep the width "outside" the central barriers i.e. the running lane area the same / uniform width. People like to have something to follow or use a a positioning reference as they drive along even if they dont realise they are doing it. So if the central barrier weaved in and out according to the exact central position between NB and SB cars would be driving out of the lanes to follow this reference and not the lane markings which would be different distances from the barrier in different areas.

Hope that makes sense and doesnt make it more confusing.

Also the splitting of the barrier to go around structures plays a part in it too.

Advertisement