Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

King's Inns BL Degree - Times

• 30-04-2012 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I have contacted the King's Inns on this, but have yet to receive a clear reply.

I'm wondering what the typical hours are like on the full-time BL course. The website mentions 9am-5.15pm Monday to Friday. However, on the on the phone to the KI office, I was told that its sometimes less than this and that it varies.

Can anyone offer some clarity on how many hours there are a week of tuition, generally speaking.

Would really appreciate the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I've heard if you are doing the full time course you are either a "morninger" (9-1) or an "afternooner" (11-3) times may not be accurate. Apparently the rivalry between the two can get quite intense.

There obviously other stuff that goes on like the need to dine in on a number of occations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

so your saying its pretty much only 3 hours of lectures a day?

I think so - this was from a Barrister that came into give us a talk. I may have not remembered everything he went though correctly. The I do know they essentially run three shifts; Morning, Afternoon and Evening (For the part timersse) but you'd be better off cheking with the KI.

Incidently 3 hours a day is alot - I know trinners in first year get 9 hours a week across 5 subjects. We at GCD are notoriously spoon fed and get 20 across 4 subjects which is a huge number of contact hours! Sometimes it goes up to 23 with tutorials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I think so - this was from a Barrister that came into give us a talk. I may have not remembered everything he went though correctly. The I do know they essentially run three shifts; Morning, Afternoon and Evening (For the part timersse) but you'd be better off cheking with the KI.

Incidently 3 hours a day is alot - I know trinners in first year get 9 hours a week across 5 subjects. We at GCD are notoriously spoon fed and get 20 across 4 subjects which is a huge number of contact hours! Sometimes it goes up to 23 with tutorials.

tbh i'd be in favour of more lecture hours. it would save a hell of a lot of time on study, something which i hate doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

For the F/T Barrister at law course there are two split groups

Monday to Friday

Group1 9pm-11pm and 1pm-3pm

Group 2 11pm to 1pm and 3pm to 5pm

10 dining session which start at 6.30pm

The mod students (ie part-time BL course)

All Saturday and Sunday

The diploma students

5.45pm to 8 (Monday to Tuesday)

9.30 -12.45 (every alternate Saturday)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Any idea whether you can choose which time slot you're going to be grouped into? I would much rather the afternoon group... not because I can't be bothered getting up early but I'd rather not disclose the reasons on here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It goes on your result in the entrance exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Seriously? Do they split the cleverer students from the poorer ones?
    The diploma students

5.45pm to 8 (Monday to Tuesday)

9.30 -12.45 (every alternate Saturday)

The Diploma is

5.45 - 8.00 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

5.45 - 9.00 Thursday

9.30 - 12.45 every other Saturday

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Let's be very careful we don't rely on much of the above as indicative.
    KI can and does modify timetables from year-to-year! Also, morning v afternoon used to be based on travel distances, family circumstances and grading.

Call them up first. Though if you've not applied to, and intend to sit the entrance exam in a given year, you may not get much by way of a definite answer.

What does grading mean in that context, Tom Young?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

So which is the smarter group then? Morning or afternoon?

None of them can be that smart they've all chosen to work for free for at least a year and make very little money for years after that!

(In pure jest as I have nothing but respect for Barristers - well most barristers I've been in Buck Whaleys!)

What does grading mean in that context, Tom Young?

The grade attained in the entrance exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thats news to me Tom! I assume it is the morning crew that are smarter although I may be slightly biased being part of the "morning mafia" as we are known this year.

Just to be clear, the hours for the morning group are 9:00 - 10:45 and then 1:30 - 3:15. Afternoonies are 11-12:45 and then 3:30 - 5:15.

The time between classes can be work filled because there is always prepartation to be done for the coming class, usually reading a few chapters or maybe drafting something etc etc.

They also told us to ask for a certain slot only if we really needed it and I think most people made up an excuse and asked for their preferred slot (and probably got it).

At the moment and because we have about 2 months of non stop exams, regardless of the actual hours, people are working pretty much flat out on completing assignments, doing class work and studying for exams.

If only there were more hours in the day.

None of them can be that smart they've all chosen to work for free for at least a year and make very little money for years after that!

(In pure jest as I have nothing but respect for Barristers - well most barristers I've been in Buck Whaleys!)

Its all about rocking the wig & cape!

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Its all about rocking the wig & cape!

Gown, not cape!! ;)

Oh, and morning groupies are sick and wrong. As sick, and as wrong as when I attended and did so in the later group.

Dining requires duvet time.

Tom Young wrote: »
    Gown, not cape!! ;)

Oh, and morning groupies are sick and wrong. As sick, and as wrong as when I attended and did so in the later group.

Dining requires duvet time.

I refuse to call it such! Cape is so much cooler!

Well you have me on that one, no wonder my attendance is so poor!

How are you enjoying the Degree, NoQuarter?

How does it compare to the Diploma (please say it's easier; a lot easier)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

In fairness if you have to run in on windy mornings it can be quite difficult not to hum the batman tune. :P

I wouldn't say the two courses compare really at all. The Diploma is (supposed to be) a bootcamp in substantive law (which has a very good reputation). The BL degree course is practice focussed and has elements which are just alien by comparison to the Dip.

• Advertisement

Absolutely love the degree, so different that your usual college, but at times (like now) there is a massive work load and we are all exhausted!

I came straight in with a degree so I cant answer about the Diploma.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

In fairness if you have to run in on windy mornings it can be quite difficult not to hum the batman tune. :P

I didn't know barristers ran, I thought they just walked serenely about the place. Even if in their heads they were thinking about bursting into a sprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

trainee solicitors gallop

devils run

solicitors walk briskly

barristers proceed with expedition

In any case the advocate or budding advocate must master the art of beng in the right place at the right time without getting out of breath

..... and/or hanging oneself on a radiator/door/rail while moving at pace and consequential billowing gown flowing from behind.

Advertisement