Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than ten weeks to less than ten hours

• 30-04-2012 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

Ten weeks to Challenge Roth.
    New goal - sub ten.

Big ask. But going to try. Sub ten is my only goal for this race. I've no secret unpublished goal times, I'm not racing anyone in the race (despite what you might have read elsewhere there are only three people in the world I want to beat in an IM and they are not doing this race!) I've not doing the swim, biking or running over the last few years to be confident at all about it but I have to try!

Breaking it down:

1:10 Swim and T1
    5:25 Bike and T2
    3:24 Run

Simples really.

Plan for this week

.|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Morning:|Short swim, 20 minutes, not so short by choice|Turbo - Threshold work|Bike - mix of HR and power based intervals, strange to mix the metrics I know but there are reasons and goals|Bike - as yesterday|Swim - longer endurance swim|Bike - power based intervals|Long run
    Mid day:|Running - 1km reps|Running - easy|Running -easy|Running - kenyan style(no idea why its called this)|Running - easy||Swim - some form work
    Evening:|Glenda getting a tooth pulled today so...|Swim - endurance|Swim -endurance|||||

Going to log every session here and lots of the usual ramblings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Monday 30th April
    Weight : 11st 9.8lbs
    HRV : 77.2
    HR : 66.0

Plan for this morning was a quick splash. Glenda is getting a tooth pulled this afternoon so had to be out of the pool early to get into work early to get out of work early. Was going to be late into the pool as well as Glenda is back running and wanted to get a run in before I left.

1km quickly (or rather without faffing) and into work. Felt good in the water and hopefully my change in approach for the next while will get feeling good being fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Tunney, Best of luck with the goal. Fair paly to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

All joking aside and smack talk parked to one side, i think sub 10 is there for you. You have a huge base to call upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thats a nice looking week! Nice quiet pool this morning! Had that lane to myself not long after you left. See you there Friday.

One km reps at lunch. Aborted after 200m of first one. I knew this session was going to be risky as circumstances meant eating lunch before the run. Turned into an easy soul searching jog. I can only operate within the constraints of life and sometimes that means things won't work out.

• Advertisement

km reps immediately after eating :eek: , i can imagine how uncomfortable that would be!

Bambaata wrote: »
    km reps immediately after eating :eek: , i can imagine how uncomfortable that would be!

Ah I knew it was a disaster and wouldn't work but I had to eat then. And I had to run then. Going to go back to the approach of "start all sessions, start the main set and then and only then can I bail on a session"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cool, I'll follow this one. Way to kick off the quest with a jump from 8 hours to 15 sessions this week Yee Haw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Would you not have been better off running on an empty stomach? I think I'd rather not eat and go hungry for the afternoon, than miss out on a session. Different of course if you had another session in the evening.
    What is running Kenyan style?

Sounds like you have some tough months ahead of you. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck to you, tunney!! :)

• Advertisement

Cool, I'll follow this one. Way to kick off the quest with a jump from 8 hours to 15 sessions this week Yee Haw :)

And the schedule is little different to last week. Probably had 12 sessions planned last week and hit about 8. I'm only too aware than in my household there is no such thing as a hard plan at the moment. Nothing concrete. Everything is fluid. So I've planned lots safe in the knowledge that a 75% hit rate would be superb! Whats my alternative - no plan? Tried that. Didn't work for me. A plan that I reschedule missing sessions? Tried that. Didn't work for me.

I'm slightly stuck to be honest. I like to plan and I need to plan but I cannot plan. So what can I do? Trying to do a plan and if I miss something, just to let it go but not to miss things lightly.

For example I had planned a long bike *early* Saturday morning gone. Aoibhe had been moved to "a big girls bed" - one without sides. She fell out and landed very awkwardly at about 2am. Took a few hours to comfort and settle her. Once happy and pain free (she wedged herself something fierce) she wanted to play with her teddies. Pretty sure I was meant to play with Piglet and E-yore while she had Tigger and Winnie the Pooh. Go time rolls around and I've missed the session. Saturday night and I cannot get Eoin to sleep. I cannot control these events, I cannot schedule them. All I can do is schedule enough sessions that if I hit 60% percent of them I've covered my training bases and needs.

If someone has a better approach for planning and scheduling with a 27 month old and an increasingly mobile and inquisitive 6 month old then please please tell me.
    Would you not have been better off running on an empty stomach? I think I'd rather not eat and go hungry for the afternoon, than miss out on a session. Different of course if you had another session in the evening.

Priorities today I am afraid. I knew I had alot of sensitive stuff to do on the production boxes and that if I didn't eat I wouldn't have been able to think properly and I couldn't afford to fvck up in production. As it turns out we still took out the main production server for 15 minutes. #HellToPayNow
    What is running Kenyan style?

To be honest I have no idea how the session got that name.
    Sounds like you have some tough months ahead of you. Good luck with it.

Cheers. The work is the tough bit, its getting out the door that is!

tunney wrote: »
    If someone has a better approach for planning and scheduling with a 27 month old and an increasingly mobile and inquisitive 6 month old then please please tell me.

Get an au-pair ;)

/joking

Get used to not sleeping or at least take power naps....they are great.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 on the power naps. I remember literally going out to my car on lunch beaks, setting an alarm for 30 mins and nodding off instantly.

Had similar 'plans' for the weekend.

Key run Saturday morning. Shotgun Junior was up with flaming red cheeks and a sadface - session binned for couch and Deadly 60
    Bike Sunday morning. Shotgun Junior again up earlier than usual but clear cheeks and a happy face. - session binned to mow the lawn for football pactice and hunting for spiders.

On the plan. Flexibility is everything, just pencil the key sessions into the slots with highest probability of green light.

On the plan. Flexibility is everything, just pencil the key sessions into the slots with highest probability of green light.

If I knew that............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Best of luck with the new log Tunney, and the sub 10, and getting the kids to bed! Interested to see how the other half live or train!

Tuesday 1st May
    Weight 11st 7.2lbs
    HRV

Glenda's tooth extraction went well so that is good. Still wrecked but not as bad as feared. Made the call this morning to can the turbo and get up with Eoin when he woke. Bottle inserted and waited for Aoibhe to wake. Normally they are up the same time but she decided that she was not going to sleep until 10pm last night, normally a 7pm bed. Up soon after and then played "supermarkets" for an hour and a bit and then off to work.

As planned a swim tonight. Said plan has been totally fvcked out the window as we are starting sleep training with Eoin tonight. Based on experiences with Aoibhe at the same age its going to be 1.5 weeks of hell. Worse this time probably as he is much bigger and louder than her. Plus him roaring will set her off and she can get out of bed and complain in person about the noise and then insist on playing supermakets at 3am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

My sympathies. Tough times but good times. Deep breaths, one step at a time.....(sound familiar?).
    I'm sure you've heard of this already

RedB wrote: »
    My sympathies. Tough times but good times. Deep breaths, one step at a time.....(sound familiar?).
    I'm sure you've heard of this already

LOL. I have uttered those words recently. Followed by "you little bol......"

So swim planned for this evening, was going to be an uber quick one as with sleep training starting (an hour into to crying as we speak) tonight I didn't want to take the pi$$. In fact I was just talking about binning it as its unfair to have one parent take the full brunt of this.

Anyways then my phone rings, a colleague, thats nice, can't be a support call as I'm not on support. "Dave its xyz system, its down". C0ck, I'm one of the few people with the credentials and authorization to work on it. One of the more important systems and every minute its down is an issue.

Buggery. No swim tonight and depending on how things go no sleep either.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 2th May
    Weight : 11st 6.6lbs
    HRV : 71

HRV well down, consistent with me being wrecked. Goes to show how TSS only shows part of a picture

Gah the best laid plans of mice and men. Yesterday was reduced to an easy run. with Mr Tango.

Thursday 3rd May
    Weight : 11st 5lbs
    HRV: 73

The constant and consistent recent decline in HRV is a worry to be honest. Something is putting my system under significant stress. Its not training so what is it????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Gah the best laid plans of mice and men. Yesterday was reduced to an easy run. with Mr Tango.

Thursday 3rd May
    HRV: 73

The constant and consistent recent decline in HRV is a worry to be honest. Something is putting my system under significant stress. Its not training so what is it????

Lack of sleep?

dev123 wrote: »
    Lack of sleep?

I've pretty much not slept since January 3rd 2010, I'm getting feck all sleep but thats nothing new to be honest.

My diet is better. My alcohol consumption has gone from a bottle of wine a night to 1 or 2 a week. Work is busy but not super stressful. Nothing on my mind.

Maybe I'm not drinking *enough*..........

I'm starting swimming lessons. Or rather our club are starting coached swim sessions on a Monday. Won't make a huge difference for this year but for next year. Mr Tango will be taking the sessions. Should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm starting swimming lessons. Or rather our club are starting coached swim sessions on a Monday. Won't make a huge difference for this year but for next year. Mr Tango will be taking the sessions. Should be good.

Where can I buy tickets for poolside?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Where can I buy tickets for poolside?

You can join the club and come along :)

Do you take visitors...i am sure much enjoyment would be had laughing at my swim technique:)

On the hrv, did you not pull a few late ones in work recently? Surely that would have some impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Weight : 11st 9.8lbs
    Weight : 11st 7.2lbs
    Weight : 11st 6.6lbs
    How come you're losing weight, if by your own admission, you're not doing that much training? Seems to be a lot of shifted mass in 3/4 days, just based on improving your diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can join the club and come along :)

What's the club? Was planning on doing my swimming this summer in the new 50m pool in UCD but i keep saying I should do proper coached sessions. I did try a masters group last year but it didn't work out coz I can't do any other strokes other that a bad fc

Advertisement