Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than ten weeks to less than ten hours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

griffin100 wrote: »
    tunney wrote: »
    You can join the club and come along :)

What's the club? Was planning on doing my swimming this summer in the new 50m pool in UCD but i keep saying I should do proper coached sessions. I did try a masters group last year but it didn't work out coz I can't do any other strokes other that a bad fc

Phoenix Tri.. All my swimming hopes are pinned on Tango, no preasure like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Do you take visitors...i am sure much enjoyment would be had laughing at my swim technique:)

On the hrv, did you not pull a few late ones in work recently? Surely that would have some impact.

Yeah but I would have expected a hit sooner rather than later as it happened.
    How come you're losing weight, if by your own admission, you're not doing that much training? Seems to be a lot of shifted mass in 3/4 days, just based on improving your diet.

My diet was woefully. I just overate for 2 years. Just lost the motivation to stay in shape - unless you count roundy as a shape.

mloc123 wrote: »

He did help me alot before I started working with Mr. Monkey.

His sets are not for the faint hearted and his approach to swimming is refreshing honest (read brutal).

For mloc the advise will be legs up, catch the water properly, finish your stroke, stop being soft.

Friday 4th May

For whatever reason I was shattered all day, constantly thirsy and tired. I fell asleep at 8pm when I went upstairs to get something. Had to get back up which nearly killed me. Anyways a forced rest day. I think the increased HRV over the last few days was a sign of a low level infection/illness which would tally with how I felt.

Anyways a good bit better this morning

Weight : 11st 6lbs
    HRV : 78 (up on yesterday and back within normal ranges)

Swim this morning, 3km set. Warm up and then into a 2km main set of 200p and 100 alt sw/p. Swam reasonably well which was strange

03:10,03:18,03:18,03:19,03:23
    01:42,01:40,01:37,01:36,01:37,01:35,01:39,01:35,01:37,01:37

Something twigged early on in the swim. So a little faster than recent times

Finished off with four fast 50s 40,42,44,40 faster than recent fast 50s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nice times on the swim. Another 7lbs lost and i will have to think of some other way to slag you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

stop being soft.

boo urns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

mloc123 wrote: »

The club website seems to be dead..........is Phoenix a bit like fight club......... someone has to hand you a card with a phone number on it at a race and invite you to join:)

griffin100 wrote: »
    The club website seems to be dead..........is Phoenix a bit like fight club......... someone has to hand you a card with a phone number on it at a race and invite you to join:)

Its been a bit like that alright, changing though :)

Weekend was not great for training to be honest, a great family weekend very enjoyable though.

Two sessions done. One swim, same set as Friday

3:07,3:09,3:11,3:11,3:16
    1:38,1:38,1:37,1:35,1:37,1:37,1:40,1:40

Faster on the 200s,100s and 50s

Other session was a 2:20 run at a reasonable pace.

No biking, beginning to get concerned about the lack of biking. Its been weeks since I've done more than 1 hours cycling in the week! Okay only two weeks but still.

New tubs arrived this morning. I've not fitted a tub recently. When Aoibhe sees me trying she will pick up a screwdriver and come over to help. Hope she doesn't get stuck to the wheel.

Tuesday 8th May

Weight: 11st 7
    HRV: Who knows

Swim nice and early, had to be early as Glenda wanted to run before I went to work

Same set as Sunday and Friday. I like it and its done in an hour and 3km of honest effort.

3:01,3:10,3:10,3:15,3:17,3:18
    1:38,1:40,1:38,1:34,1:35,1:36,1:39,1:38,1:38,1:37

Went off too hard on the first 200p, faded from there. General feel for the water wasn't as good. May need to actually stretch my upper body too.

• Advertisement

Since when did you start posting running videos on You Tube? For those who don't know Dave he is Mr Dandy. He was actually much heavier prior to this video being made.

Thats a nice video. Here is a picture that you might enjoy.

box.png

Thats a nice video. Here is a picture that you might enjoy.

box.png

Not sure what the relevance is of posting stats from a run in 2009 or 2010:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Cool to see you kicking off a log on here, thanks for posting it up.

What do you use for tracking hrv? I've seen some mac/pc software that claims to do it for ant compatible hrm straps (but haven't gotten them to work yet), and it looks like some of the polar watches do it natively. Curious what works well in practice, most of the stuff I've read about it is based on readings off a 12-lead ecg! Still haven't figured out how to tell when im being lazy vs. when im tired, my search for teh silver bullet continues..

Unrelated to my training but for years people doubted me. Slowly my closest friends in the sport came to believe me. Now the whole community knows and will understand. The craziness is now clear to all.

kingQuez wrote: »
    Cool to see you kicking off a log on here, thanks for posting it up.

What do you use for tracking hrv? I've seen some mac/pc software that claims to do it for ant compatible hrm straps (but haven't gotten them to work yet), and it looks like some of the polar watches do it natively. Curious what works well in practice, most of the stuff I've read about it is based on readings off a 12-lead ecg! Still haven't figured out how to tell when im being lazy vs. when im tired, my search for teh silver bullet continues..

Android/iPhone app, a dongle and a polar strap. Handy enough. iThlete. Some argue that one minute is not a long enough sample size but any longer and you would not do it regularly.

By now everyone in the country probably knows and understands why myself and Mr Tango set up Phoexix Triathlon Club.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

By now everyone in the country probably knows and understands why myself and Mr Tango set up Phoexix Triathlon Club.................

Oh ffs. What a diatribe. I read your post, and knew instinctively where to look. It's such a shame that personal infighting like this goes on in Irish sport so much.

Guess I should stress that it's 5:01 as I post this, have just clocked off from work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    It's such a shame that personal infighting like this goes on in Irish sport so much.

Not just Irish sport, or sport, for that matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Not just Irish sport, or sport, for that matter...

Yeah, its everywhere, I take your point. It's a shame I just joined a Tri club, who put on a great event, and days later are forced into denying they have anything to do with this guys personal agenda. That's the depressing part.

If you've a beef against anyone in sport, man up and beat them in the only place where it matters, in the race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

jesus thats a bit nasty indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

What am I missing here?? :confused:

Realised on the way into work today, wearing my old club gear, that I am going to have to bin it or sell it. Its warm comfortable, Mr Tano designed it and commission it. Nice shorts, jersey, jacket, wind jacket, leggings, and gilet. All have to go. It was perfect for commuting - comfy warm and I didn't mind cycling through red lights in it.

As I pedalled into work I got nasty hateful looks from guys I know are in the sport (across a few clubs), took me a few minutes to realise - by wearing the Belpark kit I was branding myself as "one of them, one of the club that belongs to him, that guy....." Would prefer not to be the target of hate filled glares. Thank god I'm not racing in that kit :)

So all gotta go.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm still confused as to who did what to whom here. But from where Im standing, none of this is going to do the sport any good, the whole business leaves a very bad smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm confused too, Oryx....but it's more that I don't know who the heck Mr. Tango and Mr. Monkey are, and if they are friend or foe or just fictional characters with slightly disturbing names. :confused:

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm still confused as to who did what to whom here. But from where Im standing, none of this is going to do the sport any good, the whole business leaves a very bad smell.

What happened to Matt happened to me on a much more private scale. some people didn't believe that such behaviour was possible. This very publicly proves it is.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm confused too, Oryx....but it's more that I don't know who the heck Mr. Tango and Mr. Monkey are, and if they are friend or foe or just fictional characters with slightly disturbing names. :confused:

Introducing some characters:

Mr Tango : club mate - in both clubs, founding member of Phoenix with me, a good friend, did grooms man at my wedding. His wife and my wife are now good friends. His youngest daughter and my son were born in the same hospital, delivered by the same doctor, in adjacent rooms, 45 minutes apart. Training partner and rival. You could say that we were close :)

Mr. Monkey : aka TriMonkey. Former Bermudian national tri coach now works with the Welsh Tri Federation, decent long course athlete, my coach for 5 years until I stopped proper training. A guy I have fantastic admiration for, his passion, knowledge and general outlook on life are unparalleled.

Mr. CakeFace aka GottaGettaGateaux aka The Gnome aka The Dwarf aka Short Ar$e aka TinkerBell aka Princess Polly - you know him as JackyBack

Plan was for a swim and turbo last night. Family are away.

Arrived at the pool and it was wedged. Debated going home, got in and started swimming. Times well off. People in the way. Not in great form. Sucked it up and kept going. Then my back started killing me, my lower back, combined with a granny getting in and giving me a eyefull of something I didn't need it was just too much for me and I went home and watched Thor - can't decide if I enjoyed the film or not.

Back still sore today - thankfully in with the Man with the Tan* today for a long overdue maintenance session.

(*The Man with the Tan is actually well known by this name and can be heard being announced at races (running) as such, also the best soft tissue guy in the country. I consider him a friend and a never ending source of information and advice)

And if it was not clear by now Oryx

Mr Peanut Man, Mr Dandy, Mr Moanalot, Mr Haribo is Tunney.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

One of you is short.
    One of you has a belly.
    This is all I have figured out, and all I will ever need to know.

• Advertisement

And if it was not clear by now Oryx

Mr Peanut Man, Mr Dandy, Mr Moanalot, Mr Haribo is Tunney.

Also go by Dave Tummy, Mr Merlot (although I dislike Merlot), also "that pr1ck"

Advertisement