Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than ten weeks to less than ten hours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Brilliant report! Laughed me arse off! And well done on your finish for all the faffing about. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

tunney wrote: »
    20 strokes later I knew this was going to be a fvckin cvnt of a fuvcking cvnting swim.

That is the funniest race report I have ever read. I'm going to get a cuppa and read it again...class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Was flicking through the indo yesterday and saw your name quite high up the list. Fair play Dave

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you google 'sardonic wit' tunneys blog comes up. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Was flicking through the indo yesterday and saw your name quite high up the list. Fair play Dave

Thanks!

Ah the Indo. I will be in that again this week. Probably Thursday.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Ah the Indo. I will be in that again this week. Probably Thursday.
    Courts are on Wednesday, are they?

Oryx wrote: »
    If you google 'sardonic wit' tunneys blog comes up. ;)
    Courts are on Wednesday, are they?

Yet I am the sardonic one............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Very enjoyable read. I hope poor Peter isn't scarred for life :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Very enjoyable read. I hope poor Peter isn't scarred for life :D

Best set of tits I'd say Peter has seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

A very enjoyable read Tunney and I'm delighted to read and get a real sense that you enjoyed it. It's the single most important thing IMO, when I stop enjoying racing then ill stop altogether and buy myself a set of golf clubs. BTW that's a great result when you think about it. I mean your swim won't be that poor again especially when you sort out your suit and you feel you may have undercooked the bike AND the run. Some questions:

1) You said after that you will consider racing more in the future....any further thoughts on that since Saturday?

2) With this race behind you now do you have a clearer picture as to what your pace/times/power will be like for Roth?

3) Were you a little guilty of emotional pacing on Saturday? :)

• Advertisement

A very enjoyable read Tunney and I'm delighted to read and get a real sense that you enjoyed it. It's the single most important thing IMO, when I stop enjoying racing then ill stop altogether and buy myself a set of golf clubs. BTW that's a great result when you think about it. I mean your swim won't be that poor again especially when you sort out your suit and you feel you may have undercooked the bike AND the run. Some questions:
    1) You said after that you will consider racing more in the future....any further thoughts on that since Saturday?

Yes. I need OW swimming in the short term

I had thought about the Pulse aquathon next week. But then I saw the photo on here http://www.pulsetri.com/ and not sure I fancy the "swim, bike, good rodgering up the bum implied by the photo" format of the race.

Assuming there will be no requirements to stick a square peg in a round hole then these race this side of Roth

Wed 13 Pulse Bull Wall Aquathlon Series Race 1
    Wed 20 Wicklow Tri Amphibian King Aquathlon Series Race 1

Ideally would like a short duathlon over the summer too but none on.

Post Roth only July really for racing as away for two weeks in August and I'm not going on holidays with the threat of racing hanging over me. Would like to do the half marathon in the park and knock out a 75.

After that its next year and I think full service will resume then
    2) With this race behind you now do you have a clearer picture as to what your pace/times/power will be like for Roth?

No not really. Give me a fortnight.

I suspect:
    * No better than 1:10 swim
    * No better than 5:30 bike
    * No better than 3:30 run
    3) Were you a little guilty of emotional pacing on Saturday? :)

No - tactical.

Only three times did I deviate from the appropriate perceived effort on the bike. Once when some g1mp wanted to get into a neverending game of catch, pass, blow up. Once when some ladies did similar. And once adhering to the age old principle of "catch slowly, pass decisively". Not emotions there at all.

On the run I deviated from 4:30 per km for two-three kms, when I had the choice of a sprint finish with a better runner, or stopping that sprint finish from happening.

Clarifying the ladies and drafting comment. I think for 2/3 of them it was definitely not intentional drafting. Just egos and bad manners. They would overtake and not have the legs to get away, then the ego of the person behind would kick in and they would overtake before dropping out of the draft so on and so on. One did seem more keen to get "help".

When I dared to over take, they immediately attacked before giving me a chance to ride away.

Also debating Beast of the East this year now.

Clarifying the ladies and drafting comment. I think for 2/3 of them it was definitely not intentional drafting. Just egos and bad manners. They would overtake and not have the legs to get away, then the ego of the person behind would kick in and they would overtake before dropping out of the draft so on and so on. One did seem more keen to get "help".

When I dared to over take, they immediately attacked before giving me a chance to ride away.
    Didnt see the women draft, but I got passed by four guys riding in a pack, and I met plenty of others drafting. I didnt see many draft busters on the course. Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I didnt see many draft busters on the course. Pity.

It's Athy ;) Europes fastest race for a reason :pac:

Fast asleep this morning, around 0500, wasn't getting up until 0600 to go swimming. There was a "full and frank discussion" after Athy. One I will touch on later. However the immediate term changes were I was going swimming this morning. However at 0500 I heard a noise from Aoibhes room, I was out and running quick smart, the poor little thing was getting sick. Much vomit and crying later I had to go to work - in late but I can stay late to make it up. Got a phone call "Will I take her to the doctor? I asked her does she need to go to the Doctors, she nodded and said "Yes, in an ambulance"". Obviously they drove. I thought to myself "Oh kids, they'll always be getting sick until their immune system HTFUs". Guess what, few hours later and I'm feeling the same. C0ck. Least I might loose some weight.........

Oh god, I will never mock the immune system of a toddler. I'm way more fvkded that she was. Crap. Can barely work never mind train. Not puking is an achievement at the moment.

If still bad tomorrow going to go to the Doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Is this what I have to look forward to in the comming years? My little fella is just hitting 1 now and has taken me out a couple of time already with colds but nothing like the sh1t you've been enduring. I hope it doesn't last too long.
    Oh god, I will never mock the immune system of a toddler. I'm way more fvkded that she was. Crap. Can barely work never mind train. Not puking is an achievement at the moment.

If still bad tomorrow going to go to the Doctors.

ray o wrote: »
    Is this what I have to look forward to in the comming years? My little fella is just hitting 1 now and has taken me out a couple of time already with colds but nothing like the sh1t you've been enduring. I hope it doesn't last too long.

Aoibhe is not in creche so she doesn't bring home bugs.

No I think I have a different bug to be honest. She was fine after a day of Peppa Pig and 7-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not puking is an achievement at the moment.

Not getting the full weight loss benefits out of the sickness either:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I need to do some undercarriage mandscaping

It would make those 80s style speedos you insist on wearing to club swim sessions more bearable too...

A hodge podge of updates, slammed in work, at home, in life in general so no regular updates for a bit.

Things had been a little weird at home the last week. The eldest was just wrong, off, not herself. Not sleeping, clingy, off as I said. When she got a 39.9 degree temperature it was time for the Doctors on call over the weekend. Strep throat and tonsillitis. She basically hasn't eaten since Friday, and only will take a mouth full of fluids a day. Everything else in life has been put on hold - including anything to do with luxuries such as training. Sometimes a tot just needs a scruggle with her Daddy on the sofa and to watch Peppa Pig. (Criterium de Dauphine was attempted and rejected quite vocally).

The only training I have gotten done was a club swim session last night - committed so had to despite the tears. Nice session focussing on the back end of the stroke. Thought I had set a new 100m PB of 1:24, but then realised I was on SuperStar DJ's feet. Next two 100ms were more legit and 1:30 and 1:32 though. Going on 1:45 is a cvnt. Thanks Mr Tango. Nice session and home to a sleeping house. Aoibhe asleep clutching a 750ml bottle of Club Orange.

The other "session" was a 37km TT followed by a 103km cooldown done Sunday. Also know as "doing the Wicklow 100 with the father in law". Given I had about 4 hours sleep I was tired but I couldn't let him down as he had trained for ages for it. Plus I had spent 5 hours fixing his bike on Saturday ("Just one or two things wrong with Dad's bike, he left it into be fixed but its still not right, can you look at it Dave?"). Mental note : Triathletes are knobs. Why ride in a sportive on a TT bike? Why descend on open roads, on winding roads, in packs, ON THE AERO BARS?? Feckers nearly killed people. Ride over to Greystones was fun. Turns out that at FTP at 0630 on a Sunday morning I can get to my work in under 14 minutes.

Father in law got around nicely, better than last year when he died a death at 50km. No death died this time.

Brought 10 gels with me for the 140km. Ended up eating nothing. Hungry after.

On a final note for the update I've started getting help with training. My former coach worked wonders for me but when my lifestyle and commitment drifted so did we. Still hold him in the utmost most regard and respect. What I need at this point is belligerent, persistent motivation. Accountability. The plans I can do myself. But I need them checked for realism and then held accountable. To fulfil this task two people were found. Or rather two people simultaneously and spontaneously volunteered themselves. One being my wife Glenda - "just tell me what you are meant to do and when and I will make you, and if you don't do it I am selling you bikes, your watches and your SRMs. And I mean it. The other being the Master of MTFU, the SIU Sith, the Hero of HTFU, a clubmate and friend - Liam Dolan. Plans are checked for realism, adjusted down to match lifes demands and then told "get the fvck on with it." Admittedly its not started great, week one and Aoibhe is sick and thats put a spanner in the works - but as long as the limiter to getting out the door is only me blocking myself then I now have someone to hold me accountable. Lets see how it goes.

Aoibhe starts to get over her strep throat and tonsillitis and Eoin one ups her. Strep throat, tonsillitis and scarlet fever........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Aoibhe starts to get over her strep throat and tonsillitis and Eoin one ups her. Strep throat, tonsillitis and starlet fever........

Starlet Fever - it never goes away once contracted.

3 girls in chez Izoard in the ongoing clutches of it...terrible stuff.

Izoard wrote: »

really - feck didn't know that. highly contagious I was told. feck.

"When scarlet fever occurs because of a throat infection, the fever typically stops within 3 to 5 days, and the sore throat passes soon afterward. The scarlet fever rash usually fades on the sixth day after sore throat symptoms started, and begins to peel (as above). The infection itself is usually cured with a 10-day course of antibiotics, but it may take a few weeks for tonsils and swollen glands to return to normal."

he should be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

"When scarlet fever occurs because of a throat infection, the fever typically stops within 3 to 5 days, and the sore throat passes soon afterward. The scarlet fever rash usually fades on the sixth day after sore throat symptoms started, and begins to peel (as above). The infection itself is usually cured with a 10-day course of antibiotics, but it may take a few weeks for tonsils and swollen glands to return to normal."

he should be fine!

Ah, here..

I was running with your original typo "Starlet"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oooohhhh....SCARLET fever!! Whew! For a minute there we all thought.... ;)

Ah, here..

Ah right, did that in google too. not the best results.

• Advertisement

Ah, here..

I've had feck all sleep in the last week with the eldest, who does have starlet fever but also strep throat and tonsillitis. Won't even eat smarties, he favourite food But did try to eat a bag of ChipSticks to horrible, but predictable, results.

Advertisement