Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay cash or get mortgage for part?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

If...if..you were in a position to buy a house outright with cash (incl doing it up) although you would be stoney broke afterwards, would that be preferable to getting a mortgage for say half the value and investing the remaining cash.

I feel all cash would protect you from interest rate rises etc

Thoughts:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont see how leaving yourself flat broke is a good option tbh. Why not take out a small mortgage (say 30% or something) and leave yourself some breathing room?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I would put the cash in a deposit account and use the interest to pay off some of the mortgage.

That way you keep the cash and have half your mortgage payed :D

A flight to Germany with ryanair, open fixed term deposit account say 150k at 3.75% - dirt leaves you 4k a year after dirt.

That's 333 euro a month off your mortgage and add in mortgage interest relief and all those things, your laughing.

150k mortgages can be had for around 600 euro a month over 35 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

You could potentially get a better deal on a house if you were willing to pay cash and the buyer needed a quick sale. Waiting for a mortgage puts you into a bigger pool of buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    You could potentially get a better deal on a house if you were willing to pay cash and the buyer needed a quick sale. Waiting for a mortgage puts you into a bigger pool of buyers.

If you had the cash in a bank account, you wouldn't be waiting too long.

Advertisement