Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groupon refund

Options
  • 30-04-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

I purchased a Groupon voucher, that expired last Friday. I tried booking an appointment a week prior to the expiration date and was told they were booked up and was promptly advised to get in contact with groupon for a return / credit. After sending my query to Groupon 2 days before the expiration date, they told me that I was not due any credit as my voucher had expired, which baffled me. Am I not due a refund if there was no tangible goods exchanged for my money, roughly €100.

Comments

Wizzy2011 wrote: »
    Am I not due a refund if there was no tangible goods exchanged for my money, roughly €100.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

bluewolf wrote: »
    No

Very helpful :rolleyes: - surely if the company refused to offer the service you had booked then you have some entitlement to at least get the service you paid for but maybe not a refund? I would be putting pressure on the company the voucher is for rather than Groupon.

sweetie wrote: »
    Very helpful :rolleyes: - surely if the company refused to offer the service you had booked then you have some entitlement to at least get the service you paid for but maybe not a refund? I would be putting pressure on the company the voucher is for rather than Groupon.

AFAIK the company won't get paid by groupon after the expiry date so they wouldn't have any obligation to do it
    the company did not refuse to offer a booked service, they were unable to offer a booking in the first place because OP left it so late

and no, the OP has no entitlement to a refund just because they have an expired voucher

I suggest the op get on to groupon again and explain there was a lack of availability and see if that will get them anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sweetie wrote: »

The only transaction here is between the buyer and Groupon, the company offering whatever service was being sought are not involved.

As for refunds, any refund would be governed by the T&Cs set out by Groupon and which the OP agreed to when he bought the coupon.
    http://www.groupon.ie/terms_and_conditions
    There is nothing in there about refunds though, and it specifically states that the voucher will expire on the given date.

If you buy a voucher for a service where you need to pre-book an appointment, then obviously you shouldn't leave it till the last minute, even if the voucher is still in date. There's not much else you can do in a case such as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was talking to a company who did a groupon deal last week.

Groupon take 50% of the price. If a voucher is not redeemed before the expiry date, Groupon keep the full value and the company cant provide the service as they wont get paid by groupon.

The guy I was talking to reckoned 30% of vouchers that were sold were not redeemed with a week to go and when he asked Groupon for the customers details they wouldn't give them to him.
    Groupon only provide the company with a figure for those not redeemed.

He had planned on contacting the customers to get the vouchers off them and let them book past the deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 no1dad

If something seems too good to be true it probably is, had my own problems with groupon with a company called grapegifts who had failed to deliver, eventually got my refund after about 4months and thereafter just marked groupon mail as spam

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

I do accept that I may have left it late but If the groupon says it is valid to a certain date and it failed to live up to the date stated in their deal then surely it failed to live up to what I was sold. The least they could have done was to validate my purchase and book me in post expiration date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If groupon won't refund you then you could try doing a chargeback with your credit card compant or else the small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

ElNino wrote: »
    If groupon won't refund you then you could try doing a chargeback with your credit card compant
    that's what I did, after Groupon refused to refund the money

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    ElNino wrote: »
    If groupon won't refund you then you could try doing a chargeback with your credit card compant
    that's what I did, after Groupon refused to refund the money
    And were you successful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

yes, I got my money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Voucher purchased two days ago, would groupon be covered under distance selling regulations, ie: 7 days cooling off where we could cancel and get refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Wizzy2011 wrote: »
    I tried booking an appointment a week prior to the expiration date and was told they were booked up
    I've had this a couple of times with groupon hotel vouchers.

The hotel website shows rooms available but when they hear its a voucher they suddenly 'realize' that every room is booked for every friday and saturday night months in advance.

In one case they eventually gave me a saturday 2 months after the voucher's expiry date, in the other the voucher expired before I got around to resolving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

nm wrote: »
    Voucher purchased two days ago, would groupon be covered under distance selling regulations, ie: 7 days cooling off where we could cancel and get refund?
    Melendez wrote: »

Not necessarily:
    The majority of the Regulations do not apply to:
    .. Contracts for the provision of accommodation, transport, catering or leisure services where the supplier has undertaken to supply these services by a specific time or date (for example, plane, train or concert tickets or hotel bookings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Melendez wrote: »

That's their own terms and conditions, so fair enough, they are covered. I was saying they weren't automatically covered under the distance selling regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If a customer is not able to redeem a voucher with the service provider, groupon offer a refund. They would only have a problem doing this if the service provider does not state that they could not provide the service in time.

I know this, because I am a service provider. last year i sold nearly 500 hypnosis sessions in one deal with groupon. expiry was 6 months i think. Most people phoned within the first month to redeem, but it's crazy the amount of people who rang a day, or two before the voucher expired to try get an appointment. There must have been 50 of them. Luckily, I take and validate voucher details over the phone and online, so as long as people ring before the expiry date, I can redeem the voucher and carry out the service at any stage after. I have accepted plenty of expired vouchers too, so people wouldn't feel ripped off. Most common excuses : I was away and I was in hospital. Maybe 2 people admitted they'd forgotten they had a voucher. :pac:

Advertisement